User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas deep freeze

Well, learning some lessons on my Momentum. We have no power so everything is coming from generators. I ran the Onan in the RV for a couple of days but last night, It was supposed to be only around 30 for a low.

I decided to give the onan a break and ran a cord to it from our genset hooked up to the house. I put a battery charger on one of the batteries and put it on 2 amp slow charge. I set the central heat on 55.

When I went to check it this morning the heat was out and the batteries were completely dead. So I hooked the RV powercord up to my genset via an extension cord and a 110v adapter plug.

The on board charger got the batteries charged back up today.

I know people boondock with these rigs. The two batteries wont run the heater for an extended time?
    Or do you think I have a bad battery?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    Well, learning some lessons on my Momentum. We have no power so everything is coming from generators. I ran the Onan in the RV for a couple of days but last night, It was supposed to be only around 30 for a low.

I decided to give the onan a break and ran a cord to it from our genset hooked up to the house. I put a battery charger on one of the batteries and put it on 2 amp slow charge. I set the central heat on 55.

When I went to check it this morning the heat was out and the batteries were completely dead. So I hooked the RV powercord up to my genset via an extension cord and a 110v adapter plug.

I know people boondock with these rigs. The two batteries wont run the heater for an extended time?
    A furnace running all night will absolutely drain a battery.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of batteries? Standard lead acid? AGM? Gel? Lithium? If they are anything "except" for Lithium, have they ever been deeply discharged before (below 50% ... 100% is about 12.7V charge...50% is about 12V charge...measured with a meter across both batteries)?
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in an extremely cold climate - sometimes during hunting season it is deep in the belows all night and only teens during the days. I have never had a problem running the heat off two lead acid batteries all night. They definitely need a day of Colorado sun to recharge on the solar panels for the next night or run the generator if it is snowing to recharge. I suspect there is another issue. Forget the 2 amp trickle charger. Use your generator or shore power to charge the batteries through the on board inverter.
    Erik & Julie
    2020 Momentum 328G, Solar, W/D
    2022 F350 Platinum Tremor - 6.7l Powerstroke, S&B 60 Gal Tank, Many Mods
    1997 F250/350 7.3l Powerstroke, ZF5, 4.10 LS, Custom Built - Heavily Modified

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our GD owners manual indicates the furnace uses 12A. Setting the charger for only 2A results in a 10A deficit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    What kind of batteries? Standard lead acid? AGM? Gel? Lithium? If they are anything "except" for Lithium, have they ever been deeply discharged before (below 50% ... 100% is about 12.7V charge...50% is about 12V charge...measured with a meter across both batteries)?
    Not so fast. The all encompassing statement is incorrect.

Oasis Fireside carbon foam AGM can be drawn down like lithium with no tremendous penalty to life cycles like a regular lead acid has. While what you say applies to many types of batteries using sweeping statements to describe all of them is absolutely incorrect. Many boaters have been using this type of battery for years. Not sure why it hasn’t caught on in the RV market. Probably because of the infatuation with lithium.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Not so fast. The all encompassing statement is incorrect.

Oasis Fireside carbon foam AGM can be drawn down like lithium with no tremendous penalty to life cycles like a regular lead acid has. While what you say applies to many types of batteries using sweeping statements to describe all of them is absolutely incorrect. Many boaters have been using this type of battery for years. Not sure why it hasn’t caught on in the RV market. Probably because of the infatuation with lithium.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Sheesh...it was posed as a question, not a declarative statement. How do those fancy AGMS fare when you completely deplete them (as the OP did with his)? IMO (there, I qualified it), most folks are rolling with the single battery the dealer provided, that same battery with one they added from Wally World and/or their 3rd or 4th set of Wally World lead acid batts because they keep killing them by over discharge (that's about where I was).
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Texas Rancher,

The owners manual for my Reflection 303 says 12 amps for the furnace (about 144 watts). My actual measured power consumption is about half of that at 75 watts. If my furnace runs 1/3 of the time it would consume 300 watt-hours in 12 hours.

Your typical group 27 battery has about 85 amp/hours or just over 1,000 watt-hours capacity. If you have 2 batteries then double that capacity. If nothing else was on you should have been fine for overnight. BTW, forget that 2 amp trickle charger, that will not even begin to recharge your batteries.

From what you have described you either have a bad battery, started from a charge deficit or had other loads running.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Our GD owners manual indicates the furnace uses 12A. Setting the charger for only 2A results in a 10A deficit.
    Makes sense. Over the course of 12-14 hrs that is 120-140 amp hour.

My batteries are standard Interstate deep cycle.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other thing going was the tank heaters. I wonder what those draw?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast