User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure sounds like a 240v plug typical for residential use unfortunately. No insult intended but personally I never plug into anything without an EMS that has saved me countless headaches over the last few years including ac compressor slugging during power blinking, low voltage disconnect preventing over amp draw on sensitive electronic controls etc. Several places we have been do have low volts during peak loading like 4th of July in older parks. Also identifies open ground faults. I think ours has saved us many times over the 400 it costs when I consider a fraction of the events its identified/disconnected from.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    As a licensed electrician, here's what I did to resolve most problems and keep track of my amperage draw on 30 amp service...

Attachment 34609
    Attachment 34608

Frank,

Nice simple read outs.

I installed a progressive industries EMS-HW50C hardwired EMS behind the breaker panel. I have a remote display mounted in the basement by the water panel and another in the RV by the breaker panel. I can monitor voltage and current on each leg and if the EMS detects a fault it will display the fault on the digital display.

I originally had a portable plug in model but felt the Hard Wired was simpler since it’s out of sight and permanent mounted.

It has saved me multiple times. Mostly due to low voltage when at an old Campground. It will disconnect power to the RV for 2 minutes if it senses a low voltage and then try again. If it senses a miss wired outlet it will not pass power to the RV and will display a fault code.

If the OP had one he wouldn’t be in this predicament.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. The 30/50 amp subject rears it's ugly head again.

It really is sad that people are not educated when they buy one of these RV things.

The single/split phase issue is not obvious or even easy to understand by the layman so we shouldn't judge the people that make the fatal mistake. However we can and should judge the industry pretty harshly.

First on the complaint list is the lingo that is used. We talk about 30 and 50 amp service using those words only. There is no indication in those terms that indicates that they are apples and oranges. 50 amp service is just a bigger apple, right? I'm sure they exist in other places, but the only 30 amp 120v outlet I have ever seen is at a campground.

Next is the dealer: People go through the sales process and the "very detailed PDI" where everything about their new house on wheels is explained by the sales person that has already checked out of the deal.

And in my mind, the manufacturers (all of them) are mostly to blame. The manufacturers read the forums. They talk to people at the meet ups. They deal with the warranty claims. They know that this is an issue. As @Jerryr said, "if the OP had one, he wouldn't be in this predicament."

Self protection circuits are pretty simple. You would think that a 30, 40, 50, $100k+ unit would come with a miniscule amount of self protection.

Rant over...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123