User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group.
    We are in a similar situation. When I bought our F150 I got the 2.7 EB as we were doing lots of mileage and an RV wasn't in our future. Well that change. We are just barely within our capacity numbers. It pulls good but we always have to be careful how and what we load. The 2600rb is a very attractive floor plan and is in the 3/4 range. As others and @FT4NOW mention, skip the 3/4 and go straight to the 1ton. Pretty much the same price when comparing to the 3/4. Give them both a try to see if the unloaded ride is to your comfort. I would order so you get exactly what you want but would not pay a premium over MSRP. Maybe with all the gas craziness it will calm down the truck market.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the current pricing and lack of supply in heavier trucks, you might want to consider having your rear end gears changed to a lower ratio.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Given the current pricing and lack of supply in heavier trucks, you might want to consider having your rear end gears changed to a lower ratio.
    I considered that but it’s just a band-aid. The capacity isn’t high enough to warrant that. The GVW is listed at 8120 with a payload of 1073. The gear change would help but it’s not the best solution. Less expensive to be sure but not the best.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also started with a Ram 1500 Bighorn (2017). It had enough power, and braking was awesome, but after a trip to the scales I learned I was overloading the truck by a lot. I had a payload capacity of 1400 and was rated to tow 8300, but I was over payload and over the GCWR as well. And that was loaded for only a 4 day trip.
    Now with the 2500 I am not even close and the ride is more stable.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the only truck you will see any ride difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton would be the RAM, that being the 2500 is geared more for the comfortable ride with the springs. I am not brand specific, they are all good, and more of what you feel good in. All the 3/4 and 1 ton are the same size, only difference is if you want a short bed, or a long bed.

One thought on your choice, after a year or two, when the wife smiles at you and says this trailer is too small, I like the bigger ones we see all the time, that 3/4 ton may have to become a 1 ton.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We found the payload of 3/4 ton to be close to 1/2 ton, at least for diesel. We also once said "why would we ever want/need a bigger trailer". Our F150 was a perfect truck for everything but towing. Our F350 is only perfect for towing; grandma would not enjoy the ride to church. I was pleasantly surprised first time we towed 2600rb with F350, we went without the WDH spring bars and it rode great. When we loaded bed with firewood, generator, tools etc.. it rode even better. We are now selling our 2600rb and picking up another trailer and won't have to think about tow vehicle capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Greetings from a newbie to the RV life, Grand Design and the forum. I just picked up my new GD Imagine 2600rb last week. My tow vehicle is a 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn with a 5.7 Hemi and a 3:21 gear. As you may know the trailer is 5800lbs dry and a gross wt of 7850lbs. My maiden voyage picking up the trailer was disappointing. I have an equalizer hitch so there was no squat or sway but I quickly determined that the 1500 was inadequate. The truck was constantly in 4th gear sometimes 5th and winding a lot of RPM’s, and of course this was dry with no load in the truck or the trailer on flat IL roads. And yes, I was using tow/haul. In fairness to me (and the truck) when I bought the truck in 2020 I had no idea that I would be considering jumping into the RV arena. I love the GD Imagine and can’t wait until then weather breaks so we can start camping but I am in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. I’m leaning towards An F-250 but weighing out all of my options.
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So curiously enough I had your absolutely exact experience- exactly one year ago!

I had a 2021 Ram 1500 Hemi and bought the 2600RB (both great independently just not so good together). BTW, I upgraded the suspension in both trying to avoid the inevitable new tow vehicle (Don't waste the time or money).

I was fortunate to get really lucky with the chip shortage and found a demo 2021 RAM 2500 Cummins. I got a great trade in and a fair price on the new truck. It made all the difference in the world. The diesel will pull anything. We ultimately upgraded the camper shortly after for a little more room to a 2970RL. I did add Timbren Joust bumpers (to the 2500) which I am pleased with as well.

The 2500 rides much better than a full ton and my only complaint is the price of fuel these days. I would strongly suggest a diesel. You pick a brand, I was happy with the RAM.

I am pretty well versed in your set up and did a lot of modifications so feel free to PM with specific questions. Happy camping!
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any more room in this boat? I'm a good rower!

Same situation. Bought my truck to tow a ski boat, not an RV, but have gotten into RVing with a 2600RB recently. We had our first camp last week about 85 miles from home with some mild elevation change and I was actually pretty impressed with how my half ton Sierra did with the Roadmaster Active Suspension upgrade in back. But we're headed up into the AZ mountains this coming weekend, and my gut tells me I'll be truck hunting after that.

What do you have for garage space and does your truck need to fit? That's the biggest problem these days for me is finding a crew cab 3/4 or 1 ton that will fit in my garage comfortably. Only the RAM does. The GMs and Fords are unnecessarily long these days. I could go to a crew cab on either of those, but those are getting harder to find.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the F-250 is about a foot and a half longer and height-wise there’s not much room for error (or taller tires) either. And then yes, the other problem is finding one or waiting for one that’s ordered.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I answered you in the Ram Forum, but welcome to the Grand Design Forum! There is a lot to learn!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2600 RB
    TOW vehicle- 2023 Ram 2500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 rear end, tow package with trailer blind spot and air suspension. Max payload- 2869

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast