User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought maybe we would get through this thread without someone bringing up LEGAL CONSEQUENCES. I was wrong LOL There is always someone that has to bring up legal consequences whenever towing or weights are discussed.
    Last edited by robmcqueen; 06-26-2022 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

Quote Originally Posted by moonshoxx View Post
    I know I am dredging up old thread. I am looking at used 2600rb and have a new 1500 slt. Did you ever find need to upgrade. Mine is rated for 8900 and 890 tw woth 1600 payload
    Hi moonshot,

A few things to review…

2600rb has a 7850gvwr
    Empty it weighs 5795 + your propane tanks and battery(ies) we will call that 120 lbs

So now you have 5915.

Hitch for weight distribution = aprox 110 lbs for payload calculations

Now look at your build sheet for the real as-built weight. I’m willing to bet it’s at least a couple hundred pounds heavier than the specs say, but for now we leave that out. We just call it 5915lbs.

Hitch and tongue weight go directly to payload

You have a ccc on your trailer of 1935lbs

If you load to gvwr, you can estimate tongue weight as 12% of total. Tongue weight is 942.
    At 15% could be as high as 1177lbs and at 10% could be as little as 785lbs. Lots of variation there.

Tongue weight plus hitch = 942+ 110 = 1052 of your 1600 payload.

That leaves you 548 pounds for people and cargo.

With that said, this is one of 3 exercises you need to do to really see where you are with your anticipated tow vehicle.

You need to do similar with your front and rear axle weight ratings and tire loading, which are equally important as payload.

If you are careful, you could keep your numbers within, but it will have to be a conscious effort.

Not even going into the legal/liability part, because it is not my place to decide where you feel comfortable. That is a decision you make for yourself, I just want to show you how to really know where you are with the numbers.

No matter how you slice it you will be close to the limits with this vehicle for sure. Can it do it, probably. Can it do it within the numbers, I think if you are careful. Should it do it is totally up to you. [emoji4]

Other things that come into play also are full time, part time, weekend warrior or a few times a year. How often you tow certainly needs to be factored in, along with focus on safety and utility.

Good Luck.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 06-27-2022 at 12:22 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. It looks like a no go then. A shame as I had an excellent deal. The plate on my slt with 6.2 gas is gvwr 7100, gcwr 15000, 8900 trailer and 890 tongue. I guess I can tow my bass boat and camp in it lol

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your truck should pull a 2600rb fine. Just use a good WDH . You might want to add air bags or some helper springs.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reply. I am just kind of trying to make sense of lots of information. For example folks seem to indicate that the 22mle or lde are within my capabilities but then indicate that tongue may be too heavy on the rb. However specs seem very close. I did rent a keystone outback this weekend that was of similar weoght and had no issues. However I don’t want to be overloaded. Woth that said I also don’t want to be relegated to a pop up lol

Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Your truck should pull a 2600rb fine. Just use a good WDH . You might want to add air bags or some helper springs.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the length of the trailer the makes a difference when towing with a half ton. A 30ft trailer with a half ton can get blown around some.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had a 150, we towed a 2600rb. I tried so hard to stay below 65 mph and learned at least 2 lessons. 1) here in the northeast, 65mph is considered reverse. Big rigs fly by at least 70mph and then some. 2) the bow-wave from a rig doing 72ish hits your 62ish trailer amazingly hard. My 150 was not happy at all with that blast, each and every time.

I addressed both issues by now driving in low 70's mph and upgrading to F350. Now if only I can get out of the North East!!!
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Greetings from a newbie to the RV life, Grand Design and the forum. I just picked up my new GD Imagine 2600rb last week. My tow vehicle is a 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn with a 5.7 Hemi and a 3:21 gear. As you may know the trailer is 5800lbs dry and a gross wt of 7850lbs. My maiden voyage picking up the trailer was disappointing. I have an equalizer hitch so there was no squat or sway but I quickly determined that the 1500 was inadequate. The truck was constantly in 4th gear sometimes 5th and winding a lot of RPM’s, and of course this was dry with no load in the truck or the trailer on flat IL roads. And yes, I was using tow/haul. In fairness to me (and the truck) when I bought the truck in 2020 I had no idea that I would be considering jumping into the RV arena. I love the GD Imagine and can’t wait until then weather breaks so we can start camping but I am in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. I’m leaning towards An F-250 but weighing out all of my options.
    You’ll need to research the towing capacity of any replacement truck. Don’t assume a newer Ram 1500 will tow just like your current one. Nor should you assume any other brand 1/2 ton will under perform as does your current truck. I’ve owned an F150 2010 V8, a 2016 V8, a 2018 V6 EcoBoost and now a 2019 V6 EcoBoost and every newer truck has performed better than the previous one. The reason is improvements made to the transmissions and engines. I now tow a 2022 Imagine 3100RD in the Eastern mountains and get good performance from the truck, and I’m happy with it. That said, if I could I’d have a 3/4 ton for its extra margin of capacity. Do your homework.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I would glom on to this thread. It is right up my line for pulling the 2600RB using a 150 class truck. I got killed by the professionals on the 150forum. We have the F150 high trim on order - Platty high 4x2 3.5EB 3.55 no bed liner. Blend date 6/26. I've surveyed many yellow sticker threads for payload and only a guess is 1400 - 1600 based on the dozens of yellow door stickers for KR, Pl & Limited trims. Our thoughts are for the 2600RB and the 3P with plans to load all "stuff" in trailer. Only 2 adults, small tool bag & lawn chairs in truck. From experience with our previous 5r, I can pretty much assure that the trailer payload will not be over 1000 - 1200#. Even max loaded, the trailer tongue/3P hitch should be under 12% (1000#). Am I out to lunch? We do not plan (we're in our 70s) to upgrade the trailer. DW highly desires comfort, therefore the F150 and not 250, 350 or dually as we've had in the past - ride very rough. Camper may be used for 12 week long trips per year.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Its the length of the trailer the makes a difference when towing with a half ton. A 30ft trailer with a half ton can get blown around some.
    Why?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast