User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    We have a dometic electric/gas and even in 90+ degree temps, it stays a consistent 34 degrees
    Same here..... installed internal fans, external upper vent fans, and a digital thermometer/switch to cycle the internals on/off between 34 and 37f degrees. External has a thermal fuse which comes on at 110f. All of this with the fridge setting at 4 (of 5 possible) power level during 100+ outdoor temps. If fridge set to 5, gets below freezing at times. Can get by with a lower power setting of 3 if under 90F outside temps.

Also put on a master kill switch to shutoff all added fan cooling.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There was a good thread on food safety some years back. One of the former moderators did an experiment and found some good sources and data. You can read the thread here:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...812#post179812

Rob
    Thanks, those are interesting experiments. I would never question the data that addresses which foods should be discarded when left above 40 degrees for 2 hours, but unless my thermometers are off calibration (I've used several) I know I've been in that situation. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I've done all the fan mods, interior and exterior. I doubt most folks buying RV's today have any idea what are the temps their fridges, and have no clue as to how to modify one. Can you imagine a family with several kids getting in and out of the fridge multiple times a day, and they are parked on the beach in 100 degree weather? I think @Scott'n'Wendy is right on with "ignorance is bliss".

I think back to something that amazes me. When I was a kid my Mom would get up early on Sunday morning and fry chicken. She would leave it well covered on the countertop, and we would eat it when we got home from church. Believe it or not we never got sick. Who knows??
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    It's approx. every 48 hours or so...and the duration is about 2 hrs of the shutdown. The problem lies in the fact that it takes such a long time to recover from the temperature rise during the fake defrost cycle.
    Good to know. My Norcold 1210 stays pretty much at 0.5 to 2*C (33-36 degrees for you 'mericans..) when set on 4. But every now and then it would warm up several degrees and I didn't know why..now I do. Gonna have to see if there is a way to defeat that...uh...'feature'.
    Thks @xrated
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Good to know. My Norcold 1210 stays pretty much at 0.5 to 2*C (33-36 degrees for you 'mericans..) when set on 4. But every now and then it would warm up several degrees and I didn't know why..now I do. Gonna have to see if there is a way to defeat that...uh...'feature'.
    Thks @xrated
    There is an extremely easy way to defeat that "feature", although maybe not as convenient as one might hope for. Simply write down or remember....if you still have that mental capacity .....what time you turned the fridge on initially. Then maybe 46....47 hours later, simply push the power button and turn the fridge off for 30 seconds or so. Then turn it back on. That cancels out the timer and it starts over. Make sure you write down or remember the new "start time". It works, even if it isn't an optimal solution.

I remember reading several months ago....probably last year, about a guy that got tired of doing just that, so he plugged in a 24hr timer to the receptacle that the fridge plugs into, and pugged the fridge into that instead of directly into the receptacle. The timer would turn the fridge off for a few minutes, then back on. I'm not sure that would work though, and I never tried it. It seems to me that if the power went off....either from a power blip or from the timer turning it off, you would still have to push the button on the front of the fridge to start it back up. Maybe some of them are different from others.....I don't know. It might be something to try if you have time or the desire to.
    Last edited by xrated; 08-06-2022 at 07:57 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Nah, If I was braggin', I would post that picture again...LOL
    Pbththththth! You, sir, deserve a raspberry! (Notice on the quote I REMOVED the picture!)
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot depends on what time of the day you turn your refrigerator "on". The first defrost cycle on the Dometic refrigerator kicks in 36 hrs after the unit is first powered up and then every 24 hrs after the first defrost time. Turning the fridge on at 1pm results in the fridge defrost cycle starting 36 hrs later at 1am and then at 1am each night after. This nightime defrost cycle is optimal because the fridge isn't being opened during that time. That being said my Dometic 4 door refrigerator keeps my stuff really cold and temps are almost always in the lower 30's... even in 90° weather. I get concerned when it occasionally gets up to 37-38° during dinner prep because the DW likes to stand there with both doors open and stare at the contents inside. Here's a picture of my built-in Temp sensor that I have verified with an infrared gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220806_070903.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	42568
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220806_070903.jpg  
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 08-18-2022 at 07:01 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    ............I think back to something that amazes me. When I was a kid my Mom would get up early on Sunday morning and fry chicken. She would leave it well covered on the countertop, and we would eat it when we got home from church. Believe it or not we never got sick. Who knows??
    Yea, that and using a block of ice to cool an "ice box" back in the day! Having a cold drink was a matter of perception......
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparky - I always heard it (defrost) cycled every 24 hrs after turning on. But your 36/24 makes sense. Surely the Dometic folks wouldn’t program it so you had to stay up till 1am on the first day of camping.

As far as fan help, I put one of the little D cell cube fans inside the fridge to move air around and it seems to help.

This past July 4 weekend we were camping at Sun’s in Austin (110 F). Couldn’t get below mid 40’s in fridge so wifey kept the food in ice chest Went to Wallyworld and bought a 10” fan and zipped it on the top vent pulling air out. Looked like Jed Camplet had come to town but fridge stayed 38F the rest of the week.

It’s a darn shame the RV industry won’t solve this problem. I read on other forums that it seems to be universal
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had the Dutch Air 12v dual compressor installed in my Norcold (AKA NorCOOL ) 1210. Looks good so far. Going camping this weekend. Hoping to cross fridge temps off my list of concerns.
    Bob and Joanne
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
    20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any merit in bypassing the defrost function? Is it feasible to do so? I'm having 12+ hrs defrost cycle - that can't be right!
    Your thoughts?
    Craig

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast