Thread: Battery?

Florida and Vermont and anywhere in between
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery?

Hi All,
    Trying to understand the issue we are having and not doing a very good job of it.

Our 380FL-R Solitude has all of the electrical components working when connected to shore power. There is no issue. Immediately upon disconnecting from shore power, the battery begins to lose voltage. I only (think I) know this because if I try to work the hydraulic system it reads low voltage. So then we needed to reconnect to shore power to get the jacks pulled up.

Also the battery isn't charging when we are arriving at a campsite. Voltage is reading low, again with the hydraulics so we need to connect to shore power before I can put the landing gear down. I've checked fuses and circuits and all seems good. I have not checked the battery with a meter as you do describe in some posts that I just saw because I have no voltmeter or multimeter or whatever the tool is called.

This really just started a few days ago.

Now as I write this, it seems like a no brainer to identify it as a battery issue as it's bypassed when using shore power? My question I guess is why I see the voltage (isn't it the battery power?), increasing in the Lippert jack system when connected to shore power? Or is that the voltage going to the system directly from the shore power connection?......and again it leaves the battery to blame.

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but that's it. Actually trying to get a hold of a mobile tech but not receiving an answer.

Thanks,
    Sue
    Susan (and Alan, Oliver, and Shiloh).
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batteries are not "bypassed" when on shore power. All of the 12VDC equipment (hydraulic system for slides and leveling, interior lighting, etc.) still get their power from the batteries (I hope you have more than one) - it's just that the converter-charger is charging the battery and providing extra power when connected to shore power.

If you have the stock lead-acid battery/batteries, have they been maintained regularly? For example, has the electrolyte level been checked every one to to months and topped of with distilled water as needed? If not, there's a chance that you have one or more batteries that will no longer take a charge - especially if they have been discharged below the level that lead-acid batteries can tolerate.

Assuming you have made sure the circuit breaker for the converter-charger is on and that the battery cut-off switch hasn't been accidentally bumped into the off position (neither likely since you're getting some 12VDC power from the battery/batteries), would be to remove the batteries from the RV and take them someplace that can check them under a load. They can tell you if the batteries are good or bad and whether or not they need replacing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this another case of the battery disconnect switch being in the off position so it isn't getting charged when on shore power?

I think the way this goes is: when on shore power the converter will supply 12v to everything but if the battery disconnect is off the battery won't charge (and, therefore, won't have enough power for the hydraulics).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    Hi All,
    Trying to understand the issue we are having and not doing a very good job of it.

Our 380FL-R Solitude has all of the electrical components working when connected to shore power. There is no issue. Immediately upon disconnecting from shore power, the battery begins to lose voltage. I only (think I) know this because if I try to work the hydraulic system it reads low voltage. So then we needed to reconnect to shore power to get the jacks pulled up.

Also the battery isn't charging when we are arriving at a campsite. Voltage is reading low, again with the hydraulics so we need to connect to shore power before I can put the landing gear down. I've checked fuses and circuits and all seems good. I have not checked the battery with a meter as you do describe in some posts that I just saw because I have no voltmeter or multimeter or whatever the tool is called.

This really just started a few days ago.

Now as I write this, it seems like a no brainer to identify it as a battery issue as it's bypassed when using shore power? My question I guess is why I see the voltage (isn't it the battery power?), increasing in the Lippert jack system when connected to shore power? Or is that the voltage going to the system directly from the shore power connection?......and again it leaves the battery to blame.

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but that's it. Actually trying to get a hold of a mobile tech but not receiving an answer.

Thanks,
    Sue
    Your trailer has a convert/charger. A converter converts AC electricity to DC electricity. The charger uses AC electricity to charge the battery (DC electricity).

The converter does bypass the battery. The converter takes the electricity supplied from shore power, converts it to DC electricity which supplies your DC distribution panel. The charger takes the AC electricity from shore power converts it to DC electricity which is used to charge your battery.

So, it seems it's either a battery issue (the battery isn't taking a charge and should be replaced) or a charger issue (the charger isn't charging the battery).

To know what the issue is you should measure voltage coming from the charger to the battery to make sure it's actually supplying a charge to the battery. If that looks good, you will need to check the voltage of the battery. If the voltage at the battery is low, chances are it's a worn out battery. If the voltage coming from the charger is low, it might be a charger issue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Second Chance,

"Batteries are not "bypassed" when on shore power. All of the 12VDC equipment (hydraulic system for slides and leveling, interior lighting, etc.) still get their power from the batteries" OK thanks for that clarification.

"Assuming you have made sure the circuit breaker for the converter-charger is on and that the battery cut-off switch hasn't been accidentally bumped into the off position"

Yes, circuit breaker for converter is on and battery cut off switch is turned to "on" position. Have checked that. Can't really say the battery well maintained so this could be it.

Will have the batteries tested in a.m.

Thank you,

Sue
    Last edited by Susan_S; 08-08-2022 at 10:41 PM.
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Traveldawg,
    No I've checked it multiple times to make sure it's not slipping or something. The battery disconnect switch is in the right position, "on".
    I was worried it was the converter which would be more complicated and costly I think...but it does sound as if it's the battery.
    Thank you,
    Sue
    Last edited by Susan_S; 08-08-2022 at 10:42 PM.
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Acoleman43,
    Thanks for the information. Will check this out tomorrow.
    Sue :-)
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    Hi Traveldawg,
    No I've checked it multiple times to make sure it's not slipping or something. The battery disconnect switch is in the right position, "on".
    I was worried it was the converter which would be more complicated and costly I think...but it does sound as if it's the battery.
    Thank you,
    Sue
    @Susan_S

Here are a few tips that might help as threads get longer with more posts:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification. You can also multi-quote using the ""+" button next to "Reply With Quote."

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the jacks will work when on shore power and won't when not, I would assume the battery charger is working.
    Therefore, I'm thinking it's a bad battery. I've never had any luck just adding water to the battery when the battery reaches this state. You should look into a maintenance free battery for your replacement.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi acoleman3 and thanks for your help. In testing various items' voltage it seems that one of the points of the recepticle that takes the cable from the RV has no power to it. I am thinking it's a fuse but not sure. Trying to interpret the schematic of the fuse box of the Chevy Silverado is not easy and if I'm correct the fuse that is the culprit is not a "regular" fuse.

Anyone with a Silverado 2500 wishing to weigh in is welcome.

Thanks again,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast