User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 2500RL with a 2018 Tundra Platinum CrewMax. Mods to the truck are pretty extensive, but I’m very impressed with the results. List below:

Rear sway bar. Crazy that this isn’t standard option…
    2.5” ADS coilovers in the front that actually control things. Huge upgrade from ANY factory shock option.
    Deaver rear spring packs. Beautiful progressive rate. Ride is amazing, empty or loaded.
    2.5” ADS shocks in the rear.
    5.29 ratio gears. This made a massive difference.
    PowerTrax Grip Pro LSD differential in the rear.
    275/65-20 LT tires. These are 2” taller than stock.
    Firestone airbags with onboard air

The truck sits about 3” over stock, which would not be my first preference for a tow rig. This was done prior to our RV endeavor…. That said, the performance is much better than I’d expected. We just pulled the TT 3,100 miles through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Tons of hills! I run in 5th gear on the flats, and typically drop to 4th on a hill. 3rd if it’s super steep, but that’s rare. At 65, I’m running 2,400 rpm in 5th. Closer to 3k in 4th. Mileage sucks no matter what I do, at a shade under 8/gallon with the TT. For comparison, I average 14.5 empty. Speedo/odometer are corrected and accurate.

Zero issues. Zero pucker moments. I do keep speed in check, and rarely exceed 65 mph. My truck brakes, as well trailer brakes are kept fresh and were all checked just before the trip. My WDH is set about as well as can be, and verified with a scale and by measuring ride height after final adjustment. I don’t run more than 10# in the bags with the RV, as it just isn’t needed. Also have 225/75-15 GY Endurance on the TT. That made a HUGE difference!

All that said, my next truck will be HD. But, I’m in no hurry to go down that road with how well my current setup works. I absolutely love my Tundra, and am glad that it’s able to handle everything I throw at it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad from Oregon View Post
    We tow our 2500RL with a 2018 Tundra Platinum CrewMax. Mods to the truck are pretty extensive, but I’m very impressed with the results. List below:

Rear sway bar. Crazy that this isn’t standard option…
    2.5” ADS coilovers in the front that actually control things. Huge upgrade from ANY factory shock option.
    Deaver rear spring packs. Beautiful progressive rate. Ride is amazing, empty or loaded.
    2.5” ADS shocks in the rear.
    5.29 ratio gears. This made a massive difference.
    PowerTrax Grip Pro LSD differential in the rear.
    275/65-20 LT tires. These are 2” taller than stock.
    Firestone airbags with onboard air

The truck sits about 3” over stock, which would not be my first preference for a tow rig. This was done prior to our RV endeavor…. That said, the performance is much better than I’d expected. We just pulled the TT 3,100 miles through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Tons of hills! I run in 5th gear on the flats, and typically drop to 4th on a hill. 3rd if it’s super steep, but that’s rare. At 65, I’m running 2,400 rpm in 5th. Closer to 3k in 4th. Mileage sucks no matter what I do, at a shade under 8/gallon with the TT. For comparison, I average 14.5 empty. Speedo/odometer are corrected and accurate.

Zero issues. Zero pucker moments. I do keep speed in check, and rarely exceed 65 mph. My truck brakes, as well trailer brakes are kept fresh and were all checked just before the trip. My WDH is set about as well as can be, and verified with a scale and by measuring ride height after final adjustment. I don’t run more than 10# in the bags with the RV, as it just isn’t needed. Also have 225/75-15 GY Endurance on the TT. That made a HUGE difference!

All that said, my next truck will be HD. But, I’m in no hurry to go down that road with how well my current setup works. I absolutely love my Tundra, and am glad that it’s able to handle everything I throw at it.
    Same with my 2016 Sierra. With Roadmaster Active Suspension and LT tires with the ProPride, I'm comfortable towing up to 70 MPH but keep it between 62 and 65 most of the way. We are in northeast Wisconsin now having just completed the tow from southern Arizona. Tons of trucks, wind, hills on that route and the only issue was the annoying need for the GM gasser engine to rev in the hills a bit. A larger truck would tow better but be more of a pain to drive around where we're camping unloaded. We tend to like to camp near metro areas and head into the city to see sights sometimes. Harder to do that with an "I wanna be a big rig when I grow up" 2500 or 3500 than with a half ton that's 18 inches shorter.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Greetings from a newbie to the RV life, Grand Design and the forum. I just picked up my new GD Imagine 2600rb last week. My tow vehicle is a 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn with a 5.7 Hemi and a 3:21 gear. As you may know the trailer is 5800lbs dry and a gross wt of 7850lbs. My maiden voyage picking up the trailer was disappointing. I have an equalizer hitch so there was no squat or sway but I quickly determined that the 1500 was inadequate. The truck was constantly in 4th gear sometimes 5th and winding a lot of RPM’s, and of course this was dry with no load in the truck or the trailer on flat IL roads. And yes, I was using tow/haul. In fairness to me (and the truck) when I bought the truck in 2020 I had no idea that I would be considering jumping into the RV arena. I love the GD Imagine and can’t wait until then weather breaks so we can start camping but I am in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. I’m leaning towards An F-250 but weighing out all of my options.
    LOL, when I remembered newer versions have 8 gears... I only have 5 gears and I've been towing a 2600RB with it.

It's unfortunate you don't have the 3.92 axle ratio, that's makes a difference. Anyway, yes your engine is going to kick into higher RPMs a lot compared to when you're not towing.
    2015 JayCo Jay Flight Swift 238RB (totaled, bent frame 2" in 2017)
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB w/ MORryde CRE3000
    2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L 4x4 - Monroe Load Adjusting Rear Struts, Bilstein 4600 front struts, Andersen hitch, AirLift 1000 Rear

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678