User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 60-65 mph towing my 2020 2670mk. Noted something interesting the other day - although both Load E rated tires, Westlakes (which came with my unit) are speed rated at L which is up to 75mph. Goodyear Endurance are speed rated N which is up to 87 mph. I never had any issues with my Westlakes but did replace them with the GY's after several years. Folks that drive fast should definitely pay attention to the speed rating and loading on their trailer tires.
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-10-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro55 View Post
    Wondering how fast the knowledgeable members here at the forum tow their coach while on the highway ??
    Speed not only ruins your gas mileage it cooks your transmission fluid. I drive whatever speed keeps my transmission fluid temp below 218 deg F, but not over 65.
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering how fast the knowledgeable members here at the forum tow their coach while on the highway ??
    I tow between 65mph and 70mph. I try to stay under 70mph for safety and fuel mileage.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally between 60 to 70 depending on conditions. 65 to 67 is a sweet spot for my truck pulling a 376th loaded. Better MPG.
    [B]2019 376TH
    Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Pusher
    Firestone in-cab air bag system
    Hensley TS3 Trailer Saver

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    My truck/trailer combo seems to really like the 68 mph speed, feels very comfortable at that speed. My last trailer, which was a TT, it seemed to like 63-64 mph. Usually only go faster when I need to pass someone.
    Interesting because my shift points are 58 and 68 mph. Get a good reduction in RPMs. If I drop down to 63-64 with any uphill, get a downshift and RPMs go up again. So I try to maintain 65-68 with 65 on level interstates and 68 on rolling hills.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to run a few mph lees than the posted max, rarely above 65. Back in the day the saying was “If you want to get there sooner, leave earlier.”
    2020 3500HD SRW CC SB SIERRA SLT 6.6L DURAMAX 10 speed Allison Transmission
    PullRite #2900 SuperGlide hitch
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On freeways my max speed is 65, but I only go that fast when the limit is 70 or higher. I drive 5 below the limit otherwise. Really stress free driving. Lots of people pass me, but I’m never stuck in a group. It really made for a stress free drive. Drove to Orlando from Minneapolis and it couldn’t have been better. Same with last year going to Moab. I have a 3500 dually pulling a 30BH so the combo can do whatever, but that’s what works for me.
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
    2016 Reflection 30BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I follow truck speed limits up to 65mph as my better gas mileage is between 60-65mph. If I'm passing, I rarely exceed 70mph and that makes me nervous. I pull a 42.5ft Solitude. (Just the truck, I fly low and rarely think about my speed). I'm just more comfortable at the 60-65. J

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite the interesting thread here...
    And there are so many different ways to look at it...

First, I think most will agree that speed and mileage are very much inversely proportional. With that in mind, if driving 5mph faster causes an extra 30 minute fuel stop, have you really gotten there any sooner? Over a 300 mile trip, the difference between 60 and 65 is 36 minutes. Is it worth it?

For me, I would rather be relaxed on the drive so I can get there and still have the energy to park and set up and all that. There is already too much stress in the world and I don't feel that I need to add any more. Adaptive cruise control is the best invention ever. I set my speed and I don't notice and don't care when I slow down for traffic. All that being said, my setup is so stable, that I have caught myself doing 80 and didn't realize it. That's when I set the cruise and relax.

Finally, my family (including me) used to laugh at the "snow caps" driving slow. Then when my daughter told me I drive like an old man, I looked in the mirror and realized there wasn't much pepper mixed in with the salt anymore. I just got to the point that I'll get there when I get there.

Pretty over simplified, but...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Quite the interesting thread here...
    And there are so many different ways to look at it...

First, I think most will agree that speed and mileage are very much inversely proportional. With that in mind, if driving 5mph faster causes an extra 30 minute fuel stop, have you really gotten there any sooner? Over a 300 mile trip, the difference between 60 and 65 is 36 minutes. Is it worth it?

For me, I would rather be relaxed on the drive so I can get there and still have the energy to park and set up and all that. There is already too much stress in the world and I don't feel that I need to add any more. Adaptive cruise control is the best invention ever. I set my speed and I don't notice and don't care when I slow down for traffic. All that being said, my setup is so stable, that I have caught myself doing 80 and didn't realize it. That's when I set the cruise and relax.

Finally, my family (including me) used to laugh at the "snow caps" driving slow. Then when my daughter told me I drive like an old man, I looked in the mirror and realized there wasn't much pepper mixed in with the salt anymore. I just got to the point that I'll get there when I get there.

Pretty over simplified, but...
    A lot of the time for refueling is getting off the highway, and getting back on, perhaps waiting for an accessable pump, etc. I have 96 gallons on board so my calculation on time saved by going faster is different. It can be the difference of setting up with daylight, or beating a storm. I hate setting up in the dark or in the rain. Also I generally tow more than 300 miles.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast