User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Very much so...my low points require crawling under the 5W and water running down my arm to my elbow or even arm pit, lol
    I do have to apply teflon tape each time to prevent leakage...

My 5th wheel low point drains were a pain in the butt to reach so I modified them. I added a short piece to each line and attached them each to their own 1/4 turn hose bib valves. Mounted everything to a bracket so it's easier to access. The plastic caps are just to protect the threads from road grime.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211006-201436_Photos.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	42500
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 08-13-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought of draining the hot water tank and last year we went 2 months between trips and had a terrible smell to the hot water. It took some time to rinse it and get rid of the smell. Now I drain every time.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did something very similar to this on mine. Makes emptying it very quick and easy. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...ain-and-flush/
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always drain water system as we go out just 1× every month or so. Sulfer/ rotting egg smell tough to get rid of and the low water line plugs are next to the steps so easy access and only takes a minute.
    2018 F250 Lariat 6.2 gas w/ 5Star 93 tow tune
    2018 imagine 2600RB - Blue Ox Sway Pro
    Chester County PA.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    The time between our long weekend trips could be 4-6 weeks apart. Should I drain the hot water tank between trips?
    Why not ?? I always drain the HW tank to save weight. 50 pounds of water in there.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Equalizer 2, 4-point hitch.
    2015 GMC Savana 2500 6.0 liter
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve come to watch changing lanes on Ytube, Chad is very ocd about his maintenance on his rig and the hot water heater and sanitizing the fresh water system is a stand alone video if memory serves me correct.
    2019 GD Reflection 320MKS
    2020 Ford F-450 crew cab Lariat plus DRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    My 5th wheel low point drains were a pain in the butt to reach so I modified them. I added a short piece to each line and attached them each to their own 1/4 turn hose bib valves. Mounted everything to a bracket so it's easier to access. The plastic caps are just to protect the threads from road grime.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211006-201436_Photos.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	42500
    Great idea...maybe a winter project if I get bored, lol
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Great idea...maybe a winter project if I get bored, lol
    It also makes it easier to recapture the used RV antifreeze in an empty gallon jug when dewinterizing. I put a short piece of hose on each line and blow out the antifreeze into a jug... then I mark it as "Used" and save it for adding to the traps and tanks the next time I winterize.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question. I've owned four different trailers since 1995. Other than two of them, we kept for at least 10 years or more. Like many others here, I have only drained my system in the fall...never had any issues. I'd guess there could be issues if it's being filled with really hard water, not sure. This thread is enlightening...thanks for posting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well good morning all,
    For me/us, I drain my system when we get back from a longer than a local trip. For example we have been gone for a couple weeks, one more to go. Started out with home city treated/chlorinated water, then hooked up at an rv park, then dry camp, then four different places. Some may be on well water, some on city water. I don't know for sure, guessing about half and half. So with filter and all the other protections we have at our disposal, when we get home, the entire system will get flushed, including the water heater. this will do a couple things, get rid of anything that made it past the filter and screens, rid the system of potential non treated water and get rid of any alkali build up from wherever. I will then fill everything with local treated water and add a bit of chlorine, set for a day for extra disinfection, run through the system and flush, then fill again and ready to roll. We use our fifth wheel like our house so cooking, cleaning, drinking, coffee etc. In twenty years, thankfully never had an issue.
    I do like the addition of the 1/4 turn stops for flushing, thanks for adding another project to my list.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast