User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New solitude 310GK owner

Semi retired. Retired Navy of BMC 26 years about 20 years ago. have owned two other 5th wheels a 97 34ft Alpenlite, a 36RTSO Travel Supreme. Then purchased this new 21 310GK last November. Planning on some travels in the future.
    Ive been out of the rving arena for a while and man have things changes. Two short shake down trips and found a list of issues. To my surprise that was the easy part. Getting the service / warranty work completed has turned into a nightmare.
    I guess incompetence is the new norm. Forget trouble shooting skills and problem solving. seems as though everyone is waiting to be told what to do. Frustrating. Has anyone else run into this??

Sorry just a bit P.Oed at my local dealer in there way of handling everything besides the sale of the unit. Having to call the MFG. directly isn't my idea of great customer service.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve59 View Post
    Semi retired. Retired Navy of BMC 26 years about 20 years ago. have owned two other 5th wheels a 97 34ft Alpenlite, a 36RTSO Travel Supreme. Then purchased this new 21 310GK last November. Planning on some travels in the future.
    Ive been out of the rving arena for a while and man have things changes. Two short shake down trips and found a list of issues. To my surprise that was the easy part. Getting the service / warranty work completed has turned into a nightmare.
    I guess incompetence is the new norm. Forget trouble shooting skills and problem solving. seems as though everyone is waiting to be told what to do. Frustrating. Has anyone else run into this??

Sorry just a bit P.Oed at my local dealer in there way of handling everything besides the sale of the unit. Having to call the MFG. directly isn't my idea of great customer service.
    Hello @Steve59, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to meet other owners who often can help you resolve any issues. Sounds like you're pretty experienced, but we can all use help at times.

Sorry to say but you are not alone in expressing frustration with the service offered by some of the dealers out there. Most of the time GD customer service does well, where GD usually shines is in service after the sale. Read through the forum and you'll find others with similar stories. Personally, I'd rather fix things myself (when I can) rather than struggle with dealer service (if I fix it there's no downtime on the dealer lot). Then there's the mobile tech, a trend in the industry where the tech comes to you. Often GD will authorize a mobile tech for warranty service. Hope you get your issues resolved and can get back to camping.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so so on the experience that for the come back. ill be seeking some of the advice in the future wasn't aware that having a tech or repair guy come out to unit may be an option. thanks for that appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll bet it was a shocker getting into this day and age of service incompetence dealer neglect. When I first read you had a Travel Supreme I immediately thought - whew, wait 'til he sees todays level of build and inspection. But you already ran into that wall.

Like Soundsailor said - it is so much better if you have the time and the skill to fix things yourself.

The number of service facilities (or bays in service facilities) has not at all kept up with the number of RVs needing repair. And I am sure the number of RVs needing some level of repair is huge - I'd guess no less than 90% (but it's just a guess). In the 30+ years we're been doing this the level of quality has gone down as has the level of service ability at a lot of dealers. Of course, the level of social media exposing the high level incompetence and low level of quality is has also skyrocketed.

Anyhow - welcome to the forum. Stay strong. RVing & Old Age - not for the weak of mind. Once you get stuff 'ironed out' things 'should' get smoother. Just know you aren't alone with your experience.

btw... we love our 310GK-R
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. The 310GK sure is a really attractive rig. The last few years have been extremely challenging on many levels from getting materials, getting/keeping experienced help, coping with price increase and especially demand. The demand was crazy. It's almost impossible getting a weekend spot at a local campground without reservations weeks/months in advance. We had issues with our slide that the dealer wasn't able to fix after 2 visit. After talking to GD, they approve a mobile tech who was able to fix it. Not all dealers are bad but the real good ones are booked solid for months.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Larry i see you have same unit as i with 20K Reese Goosebox. I changed to that before i even picked the unit up have only gone on two very short shake down trips, but really like it so far.
    Questions??
    Does the map reflect your trips pulling with the Goosebox?
    Is your theater seating slide floor flush when slide is extended or do you have a ridge?
    Also curious about the Moryde SRE4000 is that the air ride axle suspension??
    Would you do it again its you had it to do over and what are the differences?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planning to take Grand Design tour at plant in Nov. will have video and pics for show and tell and in quire about the mobile tech. unit will be in storage for the winter, so next year early spring to hope for.thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Larry i see you have same unit as i with 20K Reese Goosebox. I changed to that before i even picked the unit up have only gone on two very short shake down trips, but really like it so far.
    Questions??

Does the map reflect your trips pulling with the Goosebox?
    No. That reflects about 35 years of travels. I only color in states I've stayed in to vacation / sightsee - not overnight stops. You would think I'd have them all by now but we just haven't bothered with a few states.

I just put the goosebox on. I traded up to a long bed to get extra carrying capacity and so I could ditch my DEMCO auto slider (it's for sale now). I've got about 800 miles towing with the goosebox and I like it.

Is your theater seating slide floor flush when slide is extended or do you have a ridge?
    I think so. As I recall from when I pull the carpet back and look under there the floors are level. But there is a small ridge from the end of the carpet where it isn't on the slide out floor but extends out about 6". And the carpet tends to wear a lot in front of the chairs. We've considered changing out the carpet but haven't found a suitable alternative we like.

Also curious about the Moryde SRE4000 is that the air ride axle suspension??
    The SRE4000 isn't air ride. Just a different center flex component than whatever was stock that allows more up and down travel. And I put on the MorRyde wet bolts and an X-brace too.

Would you do it again its you had it to do over and what are the differences?
    Yes, I would do it again, but now that GD offers disc brakes and a MorRyde independent suspension I would get this options. I've already converted to disc brakes and am scheduled for their IS in October. So I'll be up in Indiana then.
    @Steve59
    I put my answers in blue above. I hope this helps.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4900 miles on the 310 (most of which was long distance) and had the Goosebox on for delivery in April. Very happy with it and truck pulls very smooth. Next week we head from to Montana and back so another 5500 miles or so. Home for a week, then to NC. I would buy the same floor plan again.

There is a ridge on my theater seating slide flooring when extended. Keep wondering if the flooring will smooth out in the heat but hasn't.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays