User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What can I tow?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asirico22 View Post
    Ha! All 4 total to about 260lbs! Maybe a toy hauler is not the answer then? Is there a good resource/database of pin weights per model?
    Not really - and if there were, they would be the empty pin weights. The best thing to do is look at the web page for each model you're considering, look at the GVWR (not empty weight, not published pin/hitch weight, or anything else) and multiply that by 0.23. That's the closest you'll get to a loaded pin weight without actually loading the trailer and weighing it. Use 0.25 if you want a real safety margin. I did this long ago and built a spreadsheet to compare models.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can I tow?

The max payload is 3807lbs. After using the calc, my estimated towing capacity is on 15,900lbs!
    So the very next thing you should do is go to your nearest cat scale with all in the cab that will be camping with as much of the gear you will take and see what the “actual” weight is
    3807 is the max and is likely much lower
    Don’t forget to subtract the weight of the hitch
    Then you can determine trailers that might work
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! All 4 total to about 260lbs! Maybe a toy hauler is not the answer then? Is there a good resource/database of pin weights per model?
    There is not...and here is the reason why. When a manufacturer builds a trailer and equips it with the things it is going to come with from the factory, all they know for sure is that the "average" pin weight for that model is xxxx lbs. If there is optional stuff available, say a second or third A/C unit or an absorption fridge vs. a residential fridge with solar and an inverter, they will still normally just publish the "average" pin weight. Now, having said that, it will be the empty pin weight...and by empty, that is the pin weight before the dealer adds propane to the tanks AND before they add a battery or two. So even that average pin weight is going to very likely be 100 to 200 lbs more than published number as the propane and the batteries are normally very far forward, on the tongue or maybe a front storage/propane compartment. The next thing that factors in, is that a manufacturer has ZERO idea how you or anyone else is going to load the trailer. You might be one of those folks that travels light and doesn't add a lot of additional weight. The next guy might be one that packs everything except the kitchen sink. And then of course the guy that is in the middle somewhere, and all three of those trailers will have different amounts of pin weight, even for the exact same trailer with the exact same options if any.

Therefore, manufactures will NEVER publish the loaded pin weight, just the average pin weight for that model. And that is exactly why Second Chance and others will tell you (me too) to always use the published GVWR for the trailer and then multiple that number by at LEAST 20%.....minimum. Most every 5th wheel camping type trailer out there will be putting down at least 20% of the trailer weight as pin weight. Some will be 21%, 22%, maybe 23 or 24%....it just depends on how the trailer was built, and how you load it with your stuff, and where you put that stuff. If you use the GVWR of the trailer and do the 22 maybe 23% for the pin weight number, you are calculating a "worst case scenario" for the weight that the truck will encounter....ever. If you use that worst case scenario, then anything under that is just more margin of safety when you are towing. Hope that helps you to understand what is involved in the calculations and research for sizing up the correct truck and trailer. You usually only get one chance to get it right before you buy, without costing a substantial sum of $$$ to correct for the mistake. I've been there.....and done that....and then learned the dynamics of how this stuff works.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, first time post...I just purchased a 2022 Chevy 3500 SRW with a GVWR of 12950 and max 5th wheel 21,100lbs for the purposes of towing a 5th wheel toy hauler (with no toys, garage is for dogs). What can I tow? I will be taking it from Virginia to Texas to live in for a couple of years. Its for a family of 3 with 4 dogs (medium to large).
    Three things not mentioned yet:
    1. You didn’t say, but I’m assuming the truck is a diesel? If not, I’d look for one now, given what you want to tow.
    2. The SRW will be a little “spongy” in high crosswinds. The dually will be more stable.
    3. You will be a lot closer to your tire loading limit with a SRW. That makes me uneasy when thinking about blowouts. Others it doesn’t bother…just a consideration.
    Good luck on your search.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend you look at the Momentum G-Class toyhaulers. The two models you can order have empty pin weights of 2,300 and 2,600 pounds. Those are well within the payload limits of your truck. For the M-class, the 349M and 351M are possibly within range, but the lack of toys makes those harder for you to tow.

I tow a 381M with a SRW truck that has slightly less payload than you have. However, I typically have toys (which lowers the pin weight) and my single dog only weights 11 pounds.

If you would like to understand the details of the payload impact on your truck please PM me directly. I would be glad to help you with any questions you have and provide my experiences with towing with my SRW truck.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Again, it's not about the 21,100 lb. fifth wheel towing capacity - it's about the pin weight of the trailer (4,100 lbs. for a fifth wheel with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs). and the payload capacity of the truck. Did you read through the thread I gave you above and plug all your numbers into the calculator in the link?

Rob
    I’m a “proud” member of the 3-timer club. It took me 3 trucks to get where I wanted/needed to be. Our payload is 5247lbs.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too late for you and others who picked the truck first, but a cautionary tale for those still in the thinking stage and haven't yet committed to a truck...choose the trailer you want, and only then pick a capable tow vehicle. I agree with the recommendation to use 20%-22% of trailer GVWR for a conservative estimated pin weight. Also watch out for rear GAWR -- with the pin weight directly over the rear axle you can hit it before the truck's GVWR. This is sometimes the difference between needing a DRW vs SRW. Finally, consider how badly you want to run your truck at 100% (or more) of its capacity. Bottom line: this is the one time you want to put the trailer before the truck -- not on the road.
    bdcolvin
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F-350 CCSB SRW Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing my best to stay a "One-Timer"

Quote Originally Posted by Kings7248 View Post
    I’m a “proud” member of the 3-timer club. It took me 3 trucks to get where I wanted/needed to be. Our payload is 5247lbs.
    I'm trying to be a one timer, so when I replaced my old 2500, and knew we would be getting a large 5th wheel, I went full DRW. Kind of wish I had left off the sun roof (they weigh too much). Payload 5009 lbs.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Rig.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	42804
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same truck, 2021 model. ~3900 lbs capacity doesn't leave a lot of room with my 310, but we're okay.
    What I do with my Solitude is travel with the freshwater tank 1/2 full, that's a good amount of ballast to keep the pin weight reasonable.
    I've met some folks who pull the Toy haulers with SRW, but they're likely pulling a toy in the hauler, which acts as ballast. You have plenty of total capacity, so I'd look into ways to balance your load (with a lot of weight over or behind your wheels of the rig). IIRC, the triple-axle THs have a lower pin weight than the double-axle Solitudes.
    I made the same mistake when I bought, focused on total capacity and not on cargo capacity.
    As many have said, cargo capacity is the key number because that's the easy one to go beyond if you're not careful.

Extra note, if you don't have a hitch already I'd highly recommend my same setup and get an Anderson Ultimate. 40lbs total, 30k capacity is plenty to pull anything recreational. If you get a full traditional hitch, those couple 100 lbs are coming off your capacity - that's weight you need elsewhere - people, fuel, etc.
    Last edited by JM0397; 09-01-2022 at 12:55 PM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123