Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Weight

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Much Weight

Can we safely put in the two storage compartments under the dining seating of our 2600RB? It appears that I'm up to 135# between the two spread pretty evenly. Does anyone think that will be an issue, especially as I've seen it mentioned that the slide is at its weakest state when closed.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. That's a really good question. There don't seem to be any capacities listed specifically for the slide outs. So how would we know if we're overloaded other than we notice a problem with the slide? A quick google search varies pretty broadly on what the capacities are. My thought is that I would not hesitate to put 135# on the slide. I mean if you can put 4 people on it without any trouble then...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Huh. That's a really good question. There don't seem to be any capacities listed specifically for the slide outs. So how would we know if we're overloaded other than we notice a problem with the slide? A quick google search varies pretty broadly on what the capacities are. My thought is that I would not hesitate to put 135# on the slide. I mean if you can put 4 people on it without any trouble then...
    That four people is with the slide out and not rolling down the road subject to bouncing a shock loads. The slide may not be nearly as well supported when in.
    @masterdrago - a call to GD might be a good idea.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That four people is with the slide out and not rolling down the road subject to bouncing a shock loads. The slide may not be nearly as well supported when in.
    @masterdrago - a call to GD might be a good idea.

Rob
    Unlikely GD will answer him
    Without any official statistics they would never open themselves up to the problems I am quite sure
    They are more likely to say to not have anything in there

We have the kids clothes on one side and on the other holds a tote with all our games
    On top of the dinette I put our two mountain bikes and have operated the slide without issue but I doubt the total is near the OP
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so the large pair of storage cabinets are under the seats of the dinette. They are large compartments. "stuff" can get heavy.... I'll try the email route. What fun.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get an answer from them, please share. My comment about 4 people wasn't to infer you could have that much weight all the time. They have to account for storage weight I would think when they make dinette storage available. Our slide that has stove, microwave, fridge, and sofa along with upper storage cabinets and 5 lower drawers. If GD said 135# worth of storage in that slide would put the whole thing at risk, then I'd say they better re-engineer it pretty dang quick!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chad, I'm with you. My verbiage was simple and to the point:
    I want to store stuff in the two long compartments under the dinette seats. They appear to be about 42" long and I expect to have a total of ~135 pounds distributed evenly between them. Should be ~65-70 pounds in each compartment (camera gear, tripods, binoculars, large astronomy gear, etc). I do not see the weight limit listed in the manual and expect to have some of the contents not in the compartments after the slide is out. When traveling with the slide in, all of the weight will be stored there. Will this present any problems?
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    When traveling with the slide in, all of the weight will be stored there. Will this present any problems?

Can’t see anyone being able to answer this for you and especially not Grand Design
    There are too many what ifs and variables to determine
    You could be in a range from fine to catastrophic BUT I have stuff in mine and I don’t have any issues plus mine is a 2400 so I also have a loaded fridge that is in the slide and there are not any issues with it although my slide is not as long making it stronger
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose GD could remain silent. I'll post back if I get an answer in a few days.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We typically load the area between our fridge, island, hutch, and table (all over or near the axles). We dont put lots of weight on the dinette slide, but arent afraid to do so and have not had any trouble in 4 yrs of ownership of doing it. Infact, we recently took out 2 of our dinette chairs and replaced them with an ottoman which we load up with our emergency equipment (warning triangles, some tools) and misc. Items when towing.

In our experience, it makes our 5er tow better and ride smoother, while alleviating TV weight. IMO, would not think 135#s on a retracted slide would effect the performance of the slide operation as much as any unequal weight distribution when towing with the added weight there. If slide weight was an issue, then what about stored goods in pantry, objects in fridge, added stereo equipment, etc in the fridge slide while traveling?

Biggest concern I would have besides trailer tow responce, would be maybe bracing the top of the slide-to-trailer wall to help with any slide movement while traveling due to added shifting weight on the slide.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast