0 Thread(s)

Homebase... Staying awhile

Homebase doesn't look so bad:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220823_195357 (3).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	42721

In the reflection of the window I just replaced... Why replace the window you ask? Because the Carefree of Colorado junk retaining clip (on the junk Compass replacement arms for the original Longitudes) that holds the awning roller to the idler arm corroded and broke so there was only a half-moon left!!! Lucky us, discovered the last day of our trip when Nikki went to extend the awning, got halfway, the tube popped free, and the loose end swung and came crashing through the window terrifying Cloverfield who was sitting in my chair right below the window... Thankfully, he was not injured... Carefree's response, if anyone is interested and I am sure to no-one's surprise, was "sorry, not our problem." So, all, take note to add checking the clips:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-27 005556.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	42722

They were happy to sell me a clip for about $20 shipped, but I bought one off eBay for $5.50 shipped in a First Class envelope with a single stamp... Carefree couldn't even drop one in the mail for our trouble! You don't even want to know what the cost for the window was!! Couldn't just re-glaze because the awning bent the frame too.

Been another rough season plagued with coach issues, but we really enjoyed traveling with good friends and to great places and doing some mods that had been on hold. However, we have decided to cancel all September plans, tend to homebase, dust off my other toys and hit the last couple of cruise nights, finish out the details of some of the repairs and mods to the coach, and resume with our late-October through November travels.

Just a little worn down after big back-to-back problems with the coach and scrambling to repair. It's not been an escape from the daily grind, but adding to it... Scrolling the forums and chatting to some fellow long-timers this year, seems a common theme.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Rob, and thanks for the heads up on the carefree, will definitely check mine. And it’s ok sometimes to reboot.

I tip my hat to those who full time.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of the problem Rob. I'm sure that was a big expense. As for Carefree, not a big surprise. When I checked with them re: new awning fabric, they were 50% higher than everyone else and offered a shorter warranty. I hope the respite works well for you. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @geotex1

Do you know if this clip is common in most awning systems, or just in the particular model you have? Is it visible without removing the plastic housing on the ends of the awning? Noticing your trailer is only a couple of years old, it's surprising we have not heard of more issues similar to yours.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    @geotex1

Do you know if this clip is common in most awning systems, or just in the particular model you have? Is it visible without removing the plastic housing on the ends of the awning? Noticing your trailer is only a couple of years old, it's surprising we have not heard of more issues similar to yours.
    Carefree uses this style clip universally. It has some different carriers/retainers (the plastic piece), but that's about it. You do not remove the housing. If you open your awning a bit and get up and look at the housing backside/topside (depending on your perspective) you will either see the carrier end directly or a little door (pops in) that covers it. Be sure to get up and have a good line of site because some of the housings have lock taps built into the housing to hold it directly (Compass model does) that you need to use a small flat screwdriver or pick to release so you can pull the clip out to inspect.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks. Not sure I totally get the picture but I'm sure it will make sense once I start looking around the housing. I also may have a parts diagram for my awning that will show it.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my fair share of troubles although not nearly what you have experienced. I threw the towel in, enough was enough when each time I went out I started worrying when or if the next shoe would drop.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-29-2022 at 03:14 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, poor Cloverfield must of had a really good scare. And you guys also. Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Certainly not the type of post we like to read but a learning experience for all of us.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE