User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are doing Olathe CO to Taos NM on the 29th of this month. We are doing the 550 all the way weather permitting, to Durango and then start drifting east. I did not care for the construction on 50 west of Gunnison coming here to Olathe. Was a mess and full of gravel and water for dust control. Made a mess of the undercarriage and I don’t not like sharp gravel.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    We went up 36 from Boulder to Estes Park a few months ago. It ain’t straight and it ain’t flat but it was no problem, trucks use it to get up and down. Just pay attention to the suggested speeds for the curves and it is fine.
    Thanks Doug

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    We went up 36 from Boulder to Estes Park a few months ago. It ain’t straight and it ain’t flat but it was no problem, trucks use it to get up and down. Just pay attention to the suggested speeds for the curves and it is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    We are doing Olathe CO to Taos NM on the 29th of this month. We are doing the 550 all the way weather permitting, to Durango and then start drifting east. I did not care for the construction on 50 west of Gunnison coming here to Olathe. Was a mess and full of gravel and water for dust control. Made a mess of the undercarriage and I don’t not like sharp gravel.
    We went Taos, Pagosa, Durango north on 550 on a Goldwing.....nice ride, then went east thru Gunnison over Monarch to get back to Wichita.....also nice.
    I concure, I don't like gravel and sharp rocks....

Thanks for your I put.
    Ps.....make sure and go across the bridge at the gorge outside Taos...see the billy goats on the cliffs.

Ray

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    We went Taos, Pagosa, Durango north on 550 on a Goldwing.....nice ride, then went east thru Gunnison over Monarch to get back to Wichita.....also nice.
    I concure, I don't like gravel and sharp rocks....

Thanks for your I put.
    Ps.....make sure and go across the bridge at the gorge outside Taos...see the billy goats on the cliffs.

Ray
    We spent 10 days in Taos, did all we could. Wheeler peak, the bridge and the gorge on the evening sunset with a herd, flock whatever of Bighorns. Taos is a cool place to spend time. Lots to see and lots to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A5404AD-B307-461A-9176-275AE4E7BA2E.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	42966
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4A1D75F5-5D09-47C9-92BC-093BC7AEB435.jpg  
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got a comment on 36. I don't think we have ever been on it.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    550 from Ridgeway to Durango , the Million Dollar Highway , is really no problem if you are comfortable with mountain driving. There is a low tunnel , 13’9” best I recall, south of Ouray. Just go thru the center. Speed limits are slow on the switchbacks so you won’t really impede traffic.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Charlie

QUOTE=cfowler55;447730]550 from Ridgeway to Durango , the Million Dollar Highway , is really no problem if you are comfortable with mountain driving. There is a low tunnel , 13’9” best I recall, south of Ouray. Just go thru the center. Speed limits are slow on the switchbacks so you won’t really impede traffic.
    Charlie[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for their input. Ordered the book and look forward to getting it.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Get the Mountain States Directory. It contains invaluable information about hills and grades, and includes great descriptions of the stretch of road. It was the single best investment I made that did not directly involved the coach.
    This:

https://mountaindirectory.com/

I never plan a trip without it... even in Apalachia - but especially in the west. I use the downloadable version on my laptop in conjunction with RV Trip Wizard and Google Maps.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Pagosa Springs and have travelled the state quite extensively pulling a 5th wheel. If it was me traveling from Estes Park to Durango And wanted to make that trip I would take one of the two following options. First off I would take Us 36 from Estes to Boulder. From Boulder take state highway 93 south thru Golden To C470 , continue toUS 285 and head into the Mountains, very scenic, south thru out park, Salida , to Monte Vista and the west on US 160 to Durango. You go over 3 passes with Wolf Creek the steepest. Gear dow for 6 miles or so the it is an easy drive to Durango. The other way is to go east from Estes Park to I-25 ,then south about 200 miles to US160 the west about 225 miles to Durango. Personally would not travel !-70 thru the mountains as the Travel west from Denver can be horrendous, with the traffic.Taking I-25 thru Denver south for the next 100 miles is heavy traffic. So for me the first route is the one I would take

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast