User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve not had anyone response what I have both read and found to be the difference in the Full and Auto. I use my all the time, mostly on full. 2021 Ram 3500 DRW.

In Auto, the exhaust brake will engage enough for you to maintain your current speed when descending a hill. Auto will actually slow you down.

It also is stronger in tow/haul mode.

I use my all the time, towing or not.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Band1t View Post
    I’ve not had anyone response what I have both read and found to be the difference in the Full and Auto. I use my all the time, mostly on full. 2021 Ram 3500 DRW.

In Auto, the exhaust brake will engage enough for you to maintain your current speed when descending a hill. Auto will actually slow you down.

It also is stronger in tow/haul mode.

I use my all the time, towing or not.
    That's been my experience with a caveat. With the EOH discs, there is a slight delay before trailer brakes are applied and I've found that if I just tap the brake pedal (like I was canceling cruise) I will get at least one downshift and full engine braking on level or downhill with a drop in speed much faster than what Auto initially applies.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I had an anomaly of sorts when we came across 50 from Cañon City to Montrose Colorado. On the backside of the mountain pass after Gunnison, in Full and engine braking doing the job, my truck went into 2nd gear on one stretch of downhill. Not a problem as I wanted the speed at about 2nd gear and maybe 2200 RPMs. Problem was as the downhill flattened out and I wanted to now increase speed the truck would not come out of 2nd. It approached redline RPMs and would not upshift. I took off Engine brake after trying Auto for a short run. Took the truck out of Tow/Haul, no joy. Since traffic was building behind us I took the first turn out and put the truck in Park and set a spell. Coolant and oil temperatures never rose above normal hot. After traffic passed and we started off again the truck was normal. On future downhills it down shifted and up shifted as I desired with engine brake on. Still cannot repeat that anomaly.
    Randy and Kris

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Middle of August we did a run up 550 from Durango to Montrose and across 50 over Monarch Pass to Pueblo. What breathtaking scenery you folks have there. And it would have been breathtaking driving if we hadn't had full engine exhaust braking. For the most part, I only needed the standard brakes to bleed off speed before a curve or tight spot ... most of the time the engine exhaust brake held the speed I slowed down to. On several of those hairpin turns on the downhill switchbacks, I tabbed the auto-trans all the way down into 1st gear. You sure have some tall mountain passes! I would not have enjoyed those downhill runs with either of our first two Rams with no engine brake system.
    As for the auto-setting, I tried it a few times when the truck was new, but I much prefer the full setting. I never use auto any more. If I want to coast, I find just a light touch on the "gas" pedal deactivates the engine exhaust brake. If I'm going over a roller-coaster highway and find I have to continuously play with it, then I just shut it off.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    How are you folks using the selectable engine braking? Full vs Auto? I am driving through most of southern Colorado and I just use the Full engine brake, which is priceless. But when and how do you use the Auto function?

Better MPG one vs other?

Thanks
    I use mine on auto along with cruise control. worked awesome this summer when we were in the Colorado mountains. Set the cruise to 25 or whatever and the tranny shifts and engine brakes as required. I hardly ever touched the brake pedal on most of the hills.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123