User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I've never used any RV planning apps. What do they do for you? Tell you about the campgrounds in the areas you want to stop?
    That and low hanging bridges or obstacles.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think Google maps with RV features. Driving times and distance, campgrounds, some have parks, museums, gas stations, etc.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I've never used any RV planning apps. What do they do for you? Tell you about the campgrounds in the areas you want to stop?
    Among other things you enter details about your RV and it routes you on roads that are safe for your RV. I.E. it won't route you on a road that has a overpass lower than the height of your RV. On a recent trip Google Maps suggested a route. RVTW suggested a different route that was longer. The campground I was headed to website specifically said not to follow the Google Maps route as it was not suitable for RVs.

I believe they offer a 7 day free trial so you can see for yourself what it does. Plus there are numerous YouTube videos that explain how to use RVTW.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    Among other things you enter details about your RV and it routes you on roads that are safe for your RV. I.E. it won't route you on a road that has a overpass lower than the height of your RV. On a recent trip Google Maps suggested a route. RVTW suggested a different route that was longer. The campground I was headed to website specifically said not to follow the Google Maps route as it was not suitable for RVs.

I believe they offer a 7 day free trial so you can see for yourself what it does. Plus there are numerous YouTube videos that explain how to use RVTW.
    We like it also as you indicate, input your starting location and destination and it will show the route it suggests, based on the rig parameters you enter, and you can change the route. Along the route, it will give you a low fuel warning icon, given the rig parameters you enter, at that point the app can show you the major fuel stations in the area (it knows about) then too you can also use google to look for other local fuel stations that RVTW doesn't know about. Also based on your parameters it can show you campgrounds,(again the ones it knows about) when its time to stop for the night. In most cases you can take direct links from the app to web sites for the campgrounds. RVTW can also show you elevations so if your traveling in the mountains it can show you road up and down grades. It can also calculate costs, if you enter them, for your trip, estimated fuel costs and camping costs. You can also print out your turn by turn route. We also use a Garmin RV660 on the move and almost always it selects the same routing that RVTW does. RVTW is a pretty versatile tool, but yes it does have a few quirks.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also vote for RV Trip Wizard however....... We use an RV Garmin and the process of moving the trip into the Garmin is complex and time consuming. You generate a file in RVTW then import it into Garmin Base Camp and manipulate the routing to make sure the system doesn't change everything once initiated in the GPS. I had a disastrous trip through Atlanta recently (I'd rather beat on my forehead with a hammer than do that again) and now make sure the routing is certain. Still learning how to use Base Camp but it's getting better.... Headed out to Colorado in August for my sons wedding so we'll see.....

Any tips on the process are appreciated from those with more insight.
    2020 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke SB
    2021 GD Solitude S 2930RL-R (trailer#5)
    Married father of 4 (3 sons 1 daughter) Two Eagle Scouts
    Navy Veteran - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor in the financial industry

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSeck954 View Post
    Also vote for RV Trip Wizard however....... We use an RV Garmin and the process of moving the trip into the Garmin is complex and time consuming. You generate a file in RVTW then import it into Garmin Base Camp and manipulate the routing to make sure the system doesn't change everything once initiated in the GPS. I had a disastrous trip through Atlanta recently (I'd rather beat on my forehead with a hammer than do that again) and now make sure the routing is certain. Still learning how to use Base Camp but it's getting better.... Headed out to Colorado in August for my sons wedding so we'll see.....

Any tips on the process are appreciated from those with more insight.
    I don't bother to import anything into the Garmin. It's too much trouble. The day before we leave for our next campground (or sometime after we have arrived at our current campground and before we leave for another one) I just enter the next campground in the Garmin, check it for accuracy, odd turns, elevation changes, etc., then lock-and-load and follow the Garmin directions.

I really don't use RVTW for the directions as much as just for the planning. And lots of times I go over to myscenicdrives.com to enter an itinerary with activities that is much pretty and so much better formatted when printed. It's more work double entering it into another app, but it helps sometimes.

I have been know to check for notes and directions in the RVLife smartphone app.

And, just because I am nerdy, I make calendar entries of the places and dates of where I will be. I share the calendar with the kids so they always can keep up with us. That and they can follow us actively since we use a Garmin InReach device. (told you I was nerdy)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I don't bother to import anything into the Garmin. It's too much trouble. The day before we leave for our next campground (or sometime after we have arrived at our current campground and before we leave for another one) I just enter the next campground in the Garmin, check it for accuracy, odd turns, elevation changes, etc., then lock-and-load and follow the Garmin directions.
    And, just because I am nerdy, I make calendar entries of the places and dates of where I will be. I share the calendar with the kids so they always can keep up with us. That and they can follow us actively since we use a Garmin InReach device. (told you I was nerdy)
    Pretty much our method, plan with Trip Wizard, Day to Day routing with the Garmin RV model, backed up with truck navigation. Use the Calendar trick as well though not quite as "nerdy," or maybe just cheap, no InReach!
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone.
    I've been using RV Trip Wizard since they gave us the free 1 year membership from this forum.

RV Trip Wizard has changed the programming a few times and this time I lost the ability to use the keyboard shortcut of using the - + or up, down and side arrows.

Those that have been using RV Trip Wizard, have you also been using the keyboard to adjust the map on the laptop?

I tried telling them again that they screwed it up with the new update, but they are not listening.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My quick, go-to Smartphone app has been Allstays Camp & RV for a long time now. I also double check it when looking for low clearances. And it can be handy for truck stops, etc. No sign in needed, quick to access, good filters when searching.

My go to planning app has become RV Trip Wizard. It is well worth the fee. It is still a bit clunky when printing (I don’t like the formatting, especially the way the notes print out). I like that RVTW links to campground.com (also owned by RV Like). I’ve been using CGR for as long as I can remember. And I post reviews of almost all CGs we stay in. It my only trusted app for reviews. I hope people keep using it more than other apps for the reviews.

The RV Life app is very handy for me. I like that it links to RVTW and also has a map for finding campgrounds. And it links to CGR; that’s handy. It actually shows my notes in a better format than the printed stuff the PC based app puts out.

A lot of Johnny-come-latelys are trying to duplicate/replace/one-up CGR but so for they fail because of incomplete listings, too few reviews, try to do too many things. I just loaded and deleted Dyrt, and Campersapp earlier today (before I saw this thread). I may refer to compendium but it hasn’t served me well. Same goes for RVParky (lots of folks like it, it can be handy).

There is another planning app I have used in the past... myscenicdrives.com. I love the way you can list activities and make notes. And the print outs are great. It just isn’t strictly for camping tho so it requires more research to find campgrounds and input them as stops.

My greatest fear is that there are so many wanna-be apps the the few I used will get diluted making me consult too many apps for reference reviews.
    FYI, we can download trip wizard route from apple phone to sync 3 in Ford F-250. If turn off truck you will lose it and must down load again. Just got back from a 4900 mile trip and it worked great.
    2021 GD solitude 310GK. Cooper roadmaster tires 17.5” w/ washer/dryer. Carry Honda 2200 for those emergencies. 2019 F250 Platinum longbed 6.7L,w/ ultimate tow pkg and airbags, 3.55 gear ratio, 48 gal.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfbaab View Post
    FYI, we can download trip wizard route from apple phone to sync 3 in Ford F-250. If turn off truck you will lose it and must down load again. Just got back from a 4900 mile trip and it worked great.
    @Gfbaab
    Do you actually download it to the Ford navigation app or are you using the RV Life app via Apple CarPlay?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast