User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Restricted to weekends only

Hello, I'm a new prospective camper just doing some homework. With this isolation/lockdown going on it got me thinking how my family could enrich our lives when things get back to mostly normal. Naturally and the reason I'm here is because camping could be the thing that just might the answer we are looking for. I will say I've never really gone camping before and I realize to jump into a camper trailer is a big commitment. One of my biggest hurdles in justifying the purchase is this: Due to job restraints (self-employment) our trips would be constrained to weekends only. Now I realize that location is probably a huge factor in considering if this could work. I live in central NC, about 4 hours from beaches and about 2 hours from mountains. I feel like we could make this work but feelings alone cant justify such a large purchase. I suppose what I'd like to know is if you were constrained to weekends only, would it be worth it? Am I even approaching this the right way? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not alone. The majority of RV owners are weekend only users with a occasional week trip thrown in.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it for many years - always stayed within about 3 hours of home to maximize the length of stay. We loved it, and the boys had great times! By the way - welcome!
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 04-14-2020 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added Welcome
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's something you think you might like, you should look into renting a camper for the weekend. At least if you dont like it your not stuck with a huge loss. That's what got us into camping, our family and two other families all rented small campers and went camping together. We enjoyed it and bought our own camper.

Some rental places will deliver and set it up for you, others you do all the work. Either way, cheaper than buying a camper.

We mostly only do weekends and find it worth it. We lived in our current camper for 3 years, but before that and now we are weekend warriors. You'll find there are a lot of weekend warriors. If you can get away with trips within 3 or 4 hours it doesnt impact the weekend too much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 04-14-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any day camping with family is a day to treasure. The kids are only around for so long.
    Plus it’s a great way to be the “cool parents” when them and friends want to go with you.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would echo what others have said here and add the following. For several years my wife and I had a favorite state campground that we found and I would book trips every other weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It was great to get away from TV, computers, telephones. Renting is a good idea and will give you that first step. Next, don't buy new. There are great deals to be had on clean used RVs. I can almost guarantee that after 2-3 years you'll find your first trailer doesn't quite meet your families needs. Each family is different and needs are different so it's hard to find the right trailer the first time. Buying used, selling, and buying again isn't that big of a hit since the depreciation has already occurred.

Go out and make memories.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Any day camping with family is a day to treasure. The kids are only around for so long.
    Plus it’s a great way to be the “cool parents” when them and friends want to go with you.
    Yep - our next door neighbors sons went with us a lot to the lake camping and boating. One was the same age as my sons, the other a year younger. Unbelievable the good times we had. All of them still talk about it, and that was 25 years ago. After they turned 16 girls became more interesting...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of us started out as weekend campers. You don't have to buy a hugh RV; just enough for you and the family to sleep in mostly. And, like most of us, you'll probably use if for family vacations. As others have suggested, renting is an option if you want to try it out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with starting out by renting first. There is a website you go to RV Share. People rent their RV out and many will deliver, set up and tear down. Probably a good way for you to get started. There are official rental places as well. 3 or 4 hour trips away from home would probably be best! Enjoy making some memories!
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R 2019 Ford F350 SRW SB 6.7L Powerstroke

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    75% of our camping is weekends. We tent camped for 20yrs. Usually 2-3 times a year (mostly the big holidays). Going for just a weekend was hard. Unload all my tools out of the truck, load camping gear, unload camping gear and set up, pack up and load gear, get home and unload gear, load tools back in truck.
    With the trailer, everything stays in it. Get home from work, grab some food and clothes, hook up and go. When we get home, unhook, remove food and clothes and done. So the trailer makes it easier to go camping a lot more. We have never regretted the investment.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast