User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you have a 12cu.ft. fridge too. That itself is a power hog even running on gas, especially on a warm day. Camping in Vermont last summer at a state park ( no hook ups) I found I barely made two days. That is just me by myself and being conscious of electric use. Since replacing it and / or the added weight, expense and lack of space to upgrade to more/different batteries was prohibitive. The easiest and cleanest solution was to get a dual fuel generator. I run it for about 4 hours in the afternoon and evening to charge the battery, cook dinner, watch TV. I keep the generator in the bed of my truck with a 20 lb propane bottle, out of sight but not difficult to get to.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 100 amp solar power we use when dry camping. Keeps the battery charged up just fine even on cloudy days. When camping we spend all our time outside. No TV appliances running. The only thing we will have running is a few lights at night for a short spell, the fridge and the water pump. Works for us.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I have found a honda generator that currently won't start because it was only used once and then sat in a shed for a couple of years. I'm no mechanic but it sounds like a minor clean up job to me. We will use gas for the fridge.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Thanks all. I have found a honda generator that currently won't start because it was only used once and then sat in a shed for a couple of years. I'm no mechanic but it sounds like a minor clean up job to me. We will use gas for the fridge.
    The fridge still uses some electrical, even when on propane.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think 12 volt management is the phase to use. If you are in an area in which you can minimize the use of 2 volt components during the trip, you can proper get a fair amount of life out of the battery. Anything like long draw from the battery is going to effect the overall available power output such as running the water pump for an extended amount of time. Even though LEDs are heavily used in construction today, keeping lights off in bedrooms and bathrooms as well as select lighting inside the living space is going to be a huge gain. Running a furnace at time, is another spot of gain just like the water pump. Even something like a vent fan for extended periods of time is not an issue. These factors are going to be critical for keeping the battery going. I know someone suggested looking into getting a small solar array if your camping spot has enough sunlight to produce enough charging power for the battery.

Now food for thought, I have noticed my trailer's draw on shore power, when there is no A/C on, maybe a TV, a few lights, I am really not drawing much in the way of power. Heck I power my trailer on certain boon docking weekends with a 3500 watt Predator generator for AC and outside fridge. No issues at all. Plenty of power and if the weather is agreeable, the windows are opened, the vent fans are turned on. Seeing how the trailer deals with power needs, I think I might screw with people the next camping trip and use a 15 Amp service just for kicks.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get a small generator just to charge battery, purchase the DC cables if they don’t come with it. That will charge your battery faster than going through converter.
    Otherwise run your trailer on generator and slowly charge battery through converter

2cents
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    If you get a small generator just to charge battery, purchase the DC cables if they don’t come with it. That will charge your battery faster than going through converter.
    Otherwise run your trailer on generator and slowly charge battery through converter

2cents
    Be very cautious charging a battery directly with those small generators. Often, the DC output is unregulated which can be a real problem for AGMs, gels or lithiums. The output power is also generally very limited compared to what you get from the AC side. IIRC, a Honda EU2000 outputs a little less than 100W on the DC outlet and 1600W on the AC side.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Be very cautious charging a battery directly with those small generators. Often, the DC output is unregulated which can be a real problem for AGMs, gels or lithiums. The output power is also generally very limited compared to what you get from the AC side. IIRC, a Honda EU2000 outputs a little less than 100W on the DC outlet and 1600W on the AC side.
    I agree with charging from a DC source directly. It's best to have a proper charger for your battery as each has differing criteria. Chargers are not only voltage regulated but current regulated. 100w at charging voltage is about 7 amps that could still cause the electrolyte to boil in a lead / acid battery.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With only one 12v battery and 4 days of camping, you are going to attempt some "Extreme, Power Deficit, Camping".

In addition to the above suggestions, I would recommend setting your jacks (if electric) and opening your slides while still plugged into your tow vehicle (you can disconnect the truck and trailer before you set your jacks).

Keep your water pump turned off unless you are using it. You can avoid using the water pump after using the toilet (if you are only peeing) by dry flushing the toilet and spraying some diluted vinegar into the bowl from a spray bottle to keep it fresh.

Keep your water heater turned off as well, we turn ours on while we are cooking and shut it off when we finish the dishes (water will stay hot enough for washing hands all day), this saves the electricity required to run the control board in the water heater.

I would strongly encourage you to purchase and install a pair of 6v batteries before your trip (probably the only realistic chance you have to make it 4 days).

If you are going to need to run your furnace, you are up the creek in need of a paddle, the furnace is simply a power pig and will drain your battery in no time.

If you have any electronic devices, charge them from the tow vehicle (or while you are running the generator). It is also a good idea to have a couple of USB battery packs to power up your devices if you run short of charge.

If you have a generator and you can run it for a few hours each day you won't have any problems making it the four days.

Good luck and let us know how things worked out.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've gotten some very good advice. Just sitting in your driveway or storage the battery can go dead in 3 to 4 days with all the ghost draws. If you do dry camp often I'd suggest go solar and add additional battery capacity. If you want, throw in a generator for good measure and as back up power and charging capabilities on a stretch of cloudy/rainy days
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast