User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning All!!

Lots of great advice here - seems to be overwhelming support for a larger truck and I feel those of you in this camp are probably correct. The reason I was holding off on buying a larger truck is because its our intent to purchase a home when we get back to FL. I was hoping to pay cash for the trailer, and use use my existing truck. Thereby keeping my credit rating and such in tact for the financial checks necessary for the new mortgage. Not to mention taking money from our savings, to pay for a truck/TT, when we had intended those funds to be used for a home down payment.

The primary reason we're even considering a RV (now, rather than later) for this trip is to avoid motels/hotels due to Corona - and both DW and I have health concerns to tend to as a precautionary measure. Our hope is/was to get something we can live in comfortably for perhaps a few months at a time, till we find and get into the new place. Then have the TT to experience the traveling life when the hot, humid summers come in FL. As mentioned, we are newbies - don't even know if we will like the experience - but we're excited to find out. With that being said - we don't want to spend an arm & a leg for a TT or 5th wheel until we get some experience and see how it goes.

My apologies for the life history - but perhaps this sheds some light on our rationale for doing what we're doing.

With all that being said - Our primary focus is buying a home when we get to FL. We do have to get there and that entails a long, cross country trip. One which we'd like to do comfortably and more important, safely.

I'm still reluctant to go out and spend a huge wad on a new truck before the house, so maybe the answer is just towing a smaller TT. Use that to experience and if we like the lifestyle upgrade later?? IDK - lots of decisions.

Thanks to all for sharing your experience!!

Steve

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    My apologies for the life history - but perhaps this sheds some light on our rationale for doing what we're doing.
    Hi Steve, thanks for filling in some holes in your story. I've chosen your trailer for you, all you have to do is place the order!

This 5th wheel trailer has a design very similar to the 2670MK travel trailer you like. It would tow ever so much nicer with your truck than the 2670 travel trailer would.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/273mk

Here's one for sale in Utah, no price given. Maybe you can work out a deal that has them delivering it to you, or bringing it within a day's drive of you, or doing a swap with your local dealer, or... (this model is discontinued so your dealer can't order one from Grand Design)

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...3MK-5011815880

Here's one in New York state, just to give you an idea of price. Not a whole lot more than than the 2670.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...3MK-5007885706

Here's a YouTube video tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76KHwuHWEdg

Tell the dealer in Utah he owes me 5% commission for selling it to you.

I'll butt out now. Good luck with your choices.
    Last edited by boyscout; 05-09-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

A couple of posters have used the phrase "two truck club". There is another club called the "two trailer club" - I'm a member of that one, and a wanna-be member of the other one. Both are expensive clubs to join.

Good luck.
    When we were researching, prior to buying, we found that it's estimated that most RVrs purchase 3 rigs before they get the one they should have bought in the first place. We didn't want to be those people, so our search took a couple of years. We finally got a Reflection 26RL 5th wheel. And we have absolutely no plans of replacing it for at least 8 more years.

We did buy our truck first. Mostly because both of us had smaller cars that we'd been driving for years, and we wanted time to get use to the bigger vehicle before having to learn how to tow (this is our first RV). We got a F250, which is, technically, more truck than we need, but we're glad we did.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello folks!

I'm nearing retirement - less than a month. Have to travel from WA. to FL. We plan to buy an RV, and plan to buy a bigger truck AFTER we buy a house. With that said, I have a 2012 F-150 EB, and its does have the tow package - she's a Platinum in great condition and 72K miles. I took a pic of the sticker on the drivers side door frame. But honestly, I'm not sure what I'm reading.

We're going to be first time RV'ers and we know very little about it. Other than what I read on these great forums and Youtube All furniture will be hauled by movers and stored till we purchase a place.

We have been looking at brands, options - but I don't even know what size I can safely and comfortably pull with my truck. We intend to live in it until we find a home to purchase. So we'd like it to be comfortable. No wet bath, ideally she'd like a fireplace - I know its FL. But SHE wants it, we'd love a booth for eating and if possible theater seating for two to relax in the evenings.

So I guess to begin, how do I determine what weight I can tow? That sticker I mentioned says GVWR 7200lb. Is this the weight of the trailer that I cannot exceed (Totally loaded with everything?

Any recommendations for folks in a similar Tow vehicle of what TT they use or have experience with? Anyone know of a TT with my wish list, or is that a pipe dream?

We may travel IDK, depends on corona and if we're able to access some parks or if we're stuck with rest areas. Perhaps anywhere from 4-10 days travel. Depends on our route, family & friends we'd like to visit or of course Corona which may just makes us go straight to FL.

Any input would be much appreciated. We are looking for ward to our move - just hope its a safe one and enjoyable.

Steve
    We had a 2010 f150 king ranch that was rated to tow 11,000lbs. So we bought a smaller trailer then we really wanted and loaded it up for how we were going to use it. It weight in at just about 8,500lbs with full water, gray and black. Three transmissions later, under warranty, we bought a dully and the trailer we wanted the first time. We got rid of the truck under the lemon law and took a bath on the trailer.
    My advice, buy the cheapest trailer you can, forget the bells and whistles, that will make it to Florida. Then when you can buy a proper big truck, buy the dream trailer then.
    And remember, whatever an RV dealer says you can tow, cut it in half.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day folks - Thanks for all the great information. I'm still a little confused and I hope some of you can help educate me. Exactly what is the issue with my truck? The specs dictate with my truck I should be able to comfortably pull over 11,000LB, I will ne no where near that. Is the major concern my Payload capacity? Which is a paltry 1127 lbs.? If this is the case, couldn't I just purchase and install a hefty leaf spring for a couple hundred pounds, and increase my payload capacity exponentially.

This was recommended on another site and I'm wondering if this will resolve the concerns??

Would do you say folks - would adding a heft set of leaf springs solve the concerns?

Thanks!
    Steve

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also tight on payload so I'm curious on the replies.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went through this process. I had a 5 month old Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 short bed. Then we started talking about getting a TT. Had this come up before I bought the Toyota I would have bought a different truck. After a lot of research I concluded I needed a bigger truck. So I traded it in on a F150 Crew Cab short bed 4x4 with 3.5L Eco Boost and the Max Trailer Towing package. If you read the Ford advertising it will tell you that you can tow up to 13,200 lbs. Don't believe it because if you dive into all the numbers what you can actually tow is a lot less. But the trailer I want has a GVWR of 6000 lbs which the truck should handle fairly easily.

A quick and dirty way to figure out what you can tow is to find the Combined Gross Weight Rating of your truck which on mine is in the manual. That number represents the weight of your truck and whatever you are towing. Subtract the GVWR of your truck from that number and that will tell you the maximum trailer weight you can tow. Then ask yourself if you really want to tow the max your truck can handle on paper. I've seen it suggested that you tow no more than 80% of your trucks capacity. Somewhere there is a spreadsheet where you can enter all your numbers but I can't remember where I saw it. You should research this topic thoroughly before making a final decision. And don't forget that you will need a good weight distributing hitch which is required to achieve those numbers.

Here are a couple of Youtube videos that talk about towing with a half ton truck. There are others. The first one says don't tow anything over 6000 lbs GVWR and 25'. The second is about a full time RVer who tows a heavier and longer trailer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75Sm7XaIdY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRDydK3LyBw

You have received a lot of good advice here. If it were me I would stay in motels and when I got to Florida buy the trailer of my dreams and a suitable truck to tow it. Of course that assumes you can find motels that are not shut down due to the virus.

Good luck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the major concern my Payload capacity? Which is a paltry 1127 lbs.? If this is the case, couldn't I just purchase and install a hefty leaf spring for a couple hundred pounds, and increase my payload capacity exponentially.
    Steve
    You cannot increase the payload of the vehicle you can only add components (shocks, leafs, air bags) that allow the TV to tow better by leveling the TV and TT. I too was duped into believing max tow ratings. The big thing is payload of truck and GCWR. I recommend going to a CAT scale and weigh your truck; the yellow sticker in the door is an round about number too due to added truck options. Then you can subtract that amount from the GVWR and you will have your true payload. Subtract 400 lbs for passengers and cargo and that will be about your tongue weight. Take that tongue weight max and divide by .13 (13%). That will be your max trailer weight. Subtract 1000 lbs from that and you have a ball park dry trailer weight. Good luck!
    Last edited by Daduck99; 05-14-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I've seen it suggested that you tow no more than 80% of your trucks capacity.
    80% of what capacity? GCWR? GVWR? Max Towing? I would assume GCWR and IMO that is very conservative but it comes down to what the driver feels comfortable with and keeping all the weights within the limits, and there are oh so many limits to keep in check too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daduck99 View Post
    80% of what capacity? GCWR? GVWR? Max Towing? I would assume GCWR and IMO that is very conservative but it comes down to what the driver feels comfortable with and keeping all the weights within the limits, and there are oh so many limits to keep in check too.
    80% of the most limiting parameter, whether it's RAWR, GCWR, tire load rating, hitch rating, or most likely GVWR.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast