User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 and 2800BH numbers

Hello
    I was trying to find a calculator that would calculate the numbers to make sure my numbers are safe to travel...
    I have noticed that lots members came up with their own sheets to ensure that they are within safe zone.
    Today I got a change to weight my set and came up with the following numbers. Truck looks fairly level and drives nice even tho the front axle got bit lighter.
    Front Axle
    2880 no trailer
    2740 with trailer
    3225 GAWR
    Rear Axle
    2380 no trailer
    3400 with trailer
    3800 GAWR
    Tongue Weight - 940
    Trailer Weight - 6660
    Total Weight - 12720
    GCWR - 17000
    Ford Max Loaded trailer weight - 11,900
    Hitch Weight Carrying - 12,100 with 1,210 max tongue weight.
    Running 1,000 BlueOx WD Hitch.

Is it normal for the front axle to get lighter? Should I further adjust the hitch? The trailer sits nice and level and the truck appears to be fairly level as well. When I measured the height of the truck before and after attaching the trailer, the front stayed within 1/2in of the empty height....
    Thank you in advance for any advice....

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 3/4 ton trucks sticker out at 10,000 lbs. not sure how a 150 could be higher. My concern is size of drive train and brakes on the smaller trucks. Just remember it’s not about towing, it’s about stopping.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    I think 3/4 ton trucks sticker out at 10,000 lbs. not sure how a 150 could be higher. My concern is size of drive train and brakes on the smaller trucks. Just remember it’s not about towing, it’s about stopping.
    Ford numbers, didn't make em up :-)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czego82 View Post
    Hello
    I was trying to find a calculator that would calculate the numbers to make sure my numbers are safe to travel...
    I have noticed that lots members came up with their own sheets to ensure that they are within safe zone.
    Today I got a change to weight my set and came up with the following numbers. Truck looks fairly level and drives nice even tho the front axle got bit lighter.
    Front Axle
    2880 no trailer
    2740 with trailer
    3225 GAWR
    Rear Axle
    2380 no trailer
    3400 with trailer
    3800 GAWR
    Tongue Weight - 940
    Trailer Weight - 6660
    Total Weight - 12720
    GCWR - 17000
    Ford Max Loaded trailer weight - 11,900
    Hitch Weight Carrying - 12,100 with 1,210 max tongue weight.
    Running 1,000 BlueOx WD Hitch.

Is it normal for the front axle to get lighter? Should I further adjust the hitch? The trailer sits nice and level and the truck appears to be fairly level as well. When I measured the height of the truck before and after attaching the trailer, the front stayed within 1/2in of the empty height....
    Thank you in advance for any advice....
    In my Tundra I brought the front axle weight back to what it was before connecting the trailer. I think you need to adjust your hitch some more to bring more weight to the front axle to bring it closer to the unhitch weight. Just check your owners manual as well as I do seem to remember hearing Ford had a process for making the adjustment where you measure front fender height before trailer, after trailer is hooked up without the WDH and then bring the front fender height half way between the two but not sure. My Tundra stated to bring the fender height back to unhitched so I brought all of the weight back.

On my 3500 RAM I also brought the front fender height back to unloaded. With this trailer I don't even need WDH but it tows so much nicer and is much safer with the balance and sway control.

Rob
    Last edited by Calbar; 06-06-2020 at 05:05 AM.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your numbers sound good. Take a look through Ford’s documents but I don’t think they want you putting 100% of the weight back on the front axle - although some people find the trailer rides best close to that.

How does it pull? You’re within weight #s so it’s just the wind you are battling now. You will know it’s dialed in when it is most comfortable to pull. The Blue Ox is easy to adjust, I would say just try it on one link different chain settings similar routes until you like the way it feels. You are close now.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Those are GVWRs. He posted GCWRs. If GCWRs topped out at 10k none of us could tow more than about 4K lbs.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I think your numbers sound good. Take a look through Ford’s documents but I don’t think they want you putting 100% of the weight back on the front axle - although some people find the trailer rides best close to that.

How does it pull? You’re within weight #s so it’s just the wind you are battling now. You will know it’s dialed in when it is most comfortable to pull. The Blue Ox is easy to adjust, I would say just try it on one link different chain settings similar routes until you like the way it feels. You are close now.
    Thank you. I tried it initially the way BlueOx recommends and it was wobbly so I bumped it up 2 more links and she runs like a champ. Feels comfortable and pulls like a champ.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprisingly, your numbers look good for a F150 and 2800, and I'm a proponent for a 3/4-ton truck for the 2800.
    Are the weights with a fully loaded trailer w/ family, bikes, firewood ect and a fully stocked trailer? Ready to camp?
    To really dial-in your hitch you need 2 passes on the scale. The first is with the trailer connected w/o the weight distribution bars hooked up. The second pass is with the bars connected and ready to hit the road. Ford says to adjust the bars so 50% of the weight goes back on the front axle. So yes, the front axle will become lighter with the trailer.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Surprisingly, your numbers look good for a F150 and 2800, and I'm a proponent for a 3/4-ton truck for the 2800.
    Are the weights with a fully loaded trailer w/ family, bikes, firewood ect and a fully stocked trailer? Ready to camp?
    To really dial-in your hitch you need 2 passes on the scale. The first is with the trailer connected w/o the weight distribution bars hooked up. The second pass is with the bars connected and ready to hit the road. Ford says to adjust the bars so 50% of the weight goes back on the front axle. So yes, the front axle will become lighter with the trailer.
    Weights reflect loaded trailer ready to roll with everything in it and truck fill up.
    I did 2 passes on the front axle. Unfortunately they both were with WD set up. One was with BlueOx recommended set up that in my opinion was bit unstable. Set was wobbling up and down in the middle when driving over any uneven area. Front axle weight was 2660lb. Then I took it up 2 more links and weight in the front went up to 2740 and truck feels much better.
    I love my F150 and we don't travel enough to justify upgrade to heavier truck. I bought the trailer and brought it home empty on 500 mile trip. Truck did great, averaged 12mpg at 60-65mph on the highway running premium. Only complain (and seen here many times) is when big truck pass, you get a the tendency to first get sucked in and then pushed out as they go by but its not really big deal, you see it coming just compensate for it a bit and its barely noticeable.