Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payload Ratings - Ford vs Chevy vs Ram

I am looking for a 1 ton 4x4 short bed SRW diesel trucks to potentially pull a Solitude 310.

I want truck that has the payload capacity to handle the trailer with out having to watch every pound added to the truck.

When i look at Ford i see payloads just over of 3400# and wondered how high i could get if i special ordered a truck. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-for-5th-wheel

I went out and looked at a Chevy of the same configuration that had a payload over 3800# and Ram had over 4100#

Why are the Chevy and Ram payloads so much higher than the Fords?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-four View Post
    I am looking for a 1 ton 4x4 short bed SRW diesel trucks to potentially pull a Solitude 310.

I want truck that has the payload capacity to handle the trailer with out having to watch every pound added to the truck.

When i look at Ford i see payloads just over of 3400# and wondered how high i could get if i special ordered a truck. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-for-5th-wheel

I went out and looked at a Chevy of the same configuration that had a payload over 3800# and Ram had over 4100#

Why are the Chevy and Ram payloads so much higher than the Fords?
    Whatever GVWR they decide to slap on the truck minus the actual weight. Ram has the highest. The 2020 GM’s just upped theirs to be close I thought ford did the same.

Special order won’t matter unless you order the lightest (least optioned) truck possible but it won’t help much.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all have around 7k rear axles weight ratings. In fact I believe ford has the highest RAWR of the three but I’m not sure. My RAWR just happened to be the same as the stock rear tire ratings added together
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you compare apples to apples...

Gas may have higher payload due to lighter weight. Diesel engines are much heavier.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would say you need long bed to get to payload you need for the 310, my Ram 2019 3500 long bed crew Big Horn GVWR 12300 and payload of 4394. The 310 would be max for me and too heavy with washer, dryer and Generator. Plenty of room on my S Class 2930 RL R ... loaded with pin around 2900-3000 I have about a extra 800 lbs payload. later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Make sure you compare apples to apples...

Gas may have higher payload due to lighter weight. Diesel engines are much heavier.
    Absolutely need to compare the same type of specs. All had diesel engines, 4x4 skid plates etc, as listed in my original post. That is why I was surprised there was so much difference in payload.

Was some what set on Ford, but don’t even think I will consider it now.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-four View Post
    Absolutely need to compare the same type of specs. All had diesel engines, 4x4 skid plates etc, as listed in my original post. That is why I was surprised there was so much difference in payload.

Was some what set on Ford, but don’t even think I will consider it now.

According to this a 12,400 GVWR is available in a f350SRW in a long bed. The short bed only goes to 11,500 for some reason.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...Tech-Specs.pdf
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload isn't really a rating, it's a simple calculation; GVWR minus the weight of the specific truck. To maximize payload, configure the truck to achieve the maximum available GVWR while minimizing any comfort, convenience or capability features that add weight. You can configure Ford, RAM or GM HD trucks to have very similar payloads. A very well equipped 2020 SRW F350 diesel, crew cab, long bed (12,400 GVWR) will easily net you 4,400 pounds of payload. It sounds like GM and RAM offer higher GVWR in the short bed configuration. Personally, I would not consider a short bed HD truck anyways. The long bed is a better fifth wheel towing platform (extra wheel base and cab clearance) and it's only 6% longer than a short bed.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610