User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like we're grounded for a few weeks

Hi all – I’d like to share our registration experience as a heads up to others. . . .

We signed all the paperwork for our new Solitude on June 6 at a large dealership in New Hampshire. Right after signing is when they conveniently informed us that due to the service department backlog, they can’t schedule a demo/walk thru until June 24.

All went well with the demo on June 24 until they informed me the 20-day temporary NH plate was issued for when we signed all the paperwork on June 6. So basically we picked up the unit on June 24 and the plate expires 2 days later on June 26 (today). I thought no big deal, I’ll just go stand in line at the Rhode Island DMV to pick up the RI plates.

Well, turns out RI DMV is by appointment only due to covid and the earliest I can book is July 20! The RI DMV told me that "most law enforcement are probably giving people a break" which doesn't give me much assurance when driving around with expired plates.

NH no longer is granting extensions for their 20-day plates and cannot issue me a new one.

RI only issues temp plates for RI dealers.

Had I known, what I should have done is book an appointment for the DMV back on June 6 (or earlier).

The good news is we got it home and everything is working fine so far. If our demo would have been scheduled for next week, it’s likely I’d have to leave it at the dealer until I got back up there with my RI plates. We ordered this unit in December with a planned late-April delivery. Due to the factory shut down, it didn't get delivered till early June. I suppose we've waited this long so what's another few weeks. . . . ?

Hope this helps others avoid this headache!
    Last edited by orbsah; 06-26-2020 at 07:28 AM.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all – I’d like to share our registration experience as a heads up to others. . . .

We signed all the paperwork for our new Solitude on June 6 at a large dealership in New Hampshire. Right after signing is when they conveniently informed us that due to the service department backlog, they can’t schedule a demo/walk thru until June 24.

All went well with the demo on June 24 until they informed me the 20-day temporary NH plate was issued for when we signed all the paperwork on June 6. So basically we picked up the unit on June 24 and the plate expires 2 days later on June 26 (today). I thought no big deal, I’ll just go stand in line at the Rhode Island DMV to pick up the RI plates.

Well, turns out RI DMV is by appointment only due to covid and the earliest I can book is July 20! The RI DMV told me that "most law enforcement are probably giving people a break" which doesn't give me much assurance when driving around with expired plates.

NH no longer is granting extensions for their 20-day plates and cannot issue me a new one.

RI only issues temp plates for RI dealers.

Had I known, what I should have done is book an appointment for the DMV back on June 6 (or earlier).

The good news is we got it home and everything is working fine so far. If our demo would have been scheduled for next week, it’s likely I’d have to leave it at the dealer until I got back up there with my RI plates. We ordered this unit in December with a planned late-April delivery. Due to the factory shut down, it didn't get delivered till early June. I suppose we've waited this long so what's another few weeks. . . . ?

Hope this helps others avoid this headache!
    We feel your frustration! The problem seems to be the delegation of different tasks within each dealership, and the flow of paperwork. Once it was established that you weren’t taking possession until a month later, the DMV paperwork should have been held until just before your walk through appointment. In our case, one of the paper pushers added a 0 to our VIN! It took us about a year to straighten out that mess of red tape. N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is frustrating and I bet many others are just as frustrated including me. But the time frame you have isn't as bad or long as it is in MI. We returned to MI after 8 mos of being gone about 2 weeks ago. My drivers lisc was expired in late May and not eligible to renew on line . Earliest I found to get in is Sept 3rd in our area, that was checking with several offices. Not one had the ability to wait in line even out side .
    There needs to be more thought on how things are handled to ease up time frames for state required things like registrations , plates and drivers liscense.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to go to your DMV to get plates? Well, that's ridiculous. The last few plates I've gotten have all come via FedEx/UPS, just apply for it online, pay the fees, plate appears.

Honestly? I wouldn't wait, you'd have to have a SERIOUS hard nose cop to write you a ticket for not having a plate when you explain why and show them your appointment with DMV. I mean, sure, they COULD write you a ticket, but would they? I haven't had a plate on my dump trailer for years and have never even been pulled over, let alone a ticket. They really do mostly have better things to do, and, in your case, even if you did get a ticket, it would probably be thrown out in court.

Life it short my friend, letting things like this take experiences away from you is time you will never get back. If you don't have time to use the rig, by all means, wait. But if I was in your situations and wanted to go camping this weekend.. I'd be hitching up right now!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't even want to know how badly my dealership bumbled our registration... Their local PA store took the responsibility to register because "they knew the process" versus having the NY HQ do it... Well, the PA store just opened and they were clueless!!! Took me months to get straightened out and made whole, but I didn't lose out on use like you are.

It's just not RV dealers when dealing with out of State registrations either. I bought a vehicle from the largest, oldest dealership in Baltimore, MD. Traded in a vehicle with same class plate and registration. Should have been a $15 transfer fee. The sent me a bill for $425!!!! No-one at the dealer or tag agent actually read my registration to transfer. Issued a new 1 year. I had a paid 5 year with 4 years left. Tried to tell me I was mistaken and turned me to their collections. Prepared everything for my lawyer, who put it on letterhead along with his invoice, and a week later received a certified envelope with a check to refund the unused registration and to cover the lawyer's bill. The utter incompetence of "professionals" working in their non-communicating silos is something I despise and has become proliferate in the 2000s!

OP, does the dealer not have any leverage with NH to correct THEIR mistake? Always emphasize in your communications that this was THEIR mistake - gives great legal footing when that notice is made from "go."
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hook up n go.
    Just talk a cop buddy about my plates.
    Still none, after picking up my 376th on June 6th.
    Everything is paid, not my fault on the delay.
    IF, IF, I were to get a ticket, take it court, have all paperwork, and it'll be thrown out.
    A hassle, take a vaca day from work, etc, but we had fun when we took it out.
    So sick of government bs.
    2017 Momentum 376th
    2000 Volvo 610 DD 12.7L Eaton 10 speed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    Hook up n go.
    Just talk a cop buddy about my plates.
    Still none, after picking up my 376th on June 6th.
    Everything is paid, not my fault on the delay.
    IF, IF, I were to get a ticket, take it court, have all paperwork, and it'll be thrown out.
    A hassle, take a vaca day from work, etc, but we had fun when we took it out.
    So sick of government bs.
    Yea it would be a really nasty cop to write that up.

I can't tell how many time we have been running around with expired tags, just cause we forgot the sticker when it came in.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Maine plate. You’ll have it in a few days and it’s way cheaper. I have Maine plates for 2 trailers. Works great.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetussnow View Post
    Get a Maine plate. You’ll have it in a few days and it’s way cheaper. I have Maine plates for 2 trailers. Works great.
    ROFL, I was wondering how long before someone said Maine or Wyoming. Skirt the taxes, get a plate in a few days, no standing in line anywhere. Pretty big win all the way around!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also don’t have to re register them for 5 years either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast