User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet access on the road

Any recommendations for portable Wifi? I've seen advertisements for Travlfi, etc. Don't know what's good/reliable/reasonable. My cell carrier doesn't have portable hotspots. FYI.... I'm ok with technology but not great!

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DebY1956 View Post
    Any recommendations for portable Wifi? I've seen advertisements for Travlfi, etc. Don't know what's good/reliable/reasonable. My cell carrier doesn't have portable hotspots. FYI.... I'm ok with technology but not great!
    There's a lot of information out there on this, but the first thing you need to figure out is how much data you need (gigabytes) and how fast of a speed you need? Then you'll need to figure out your budget. There are three main services (carrier, vmno, third party resellers).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just use the hotspot our phones. I installed an inexpensive router behind the TV that I connect our internal WiFi items to (TV, tablets, computer, Zigbee hub etc.) If we go to a campground that has wifi available I connect the router to that and it passes the signal to everything. If there is no wifi but cell service I connect the router to the phone hotspot. That way I don't have to do a separate connection on each device each time we change wifi. If there is cell service it's usually a faster connection than most campground wifi.

If there is no WiFi and no cell coverage we're SOL, but isn't that one of the reasons we camp... to disconnect and relax.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Maplewifi with a Netgear cellular router. The good, no contract, so we only activated it when traveling, unlimited downloads, no throttling, works in Canada and the US, and you can carry that router with you (battery operated). The bad, not cheap, but the reason why we are trying out Starlink is Maplewifi has the absolute worst customer service x10. When Starlink came out with $200 for the h/w, I jumped on it. The monthly price for the mobile service is similar to Maplewifi.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Townbroadband.com. They have plans from AT&T or Verizon. I use a MOFI 4G/5G router and the AT&T unlimited SIM card from townbroadband. Averages out to $70 per month. I use it as my home internet service as well. I average around 300Gb download per month without any major issues. Download speeds vary from 10Mb to 100Mb depending on location and network loading. I have always been able to stream movies at night.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starlink hands down. $150 a month when we use it, about 4 to 5 months currently. So long as you have a good view of the sky. One thing I really like is we are up and online within 15 to 20 minutes from setup, that includes the 10 minutes or so to get it out. Another great part is no configuring devices all the time.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also echo Starlink if the price isn't an obstacle. $600 initial for the equipment and then $150 a month, with the option to suspend the monthly charge for months when you're in storage/off the road.

We use Starlink with our cellphones' Personal Hotspot wifi as a backup for when tree cover is an issue (it rarely is).
    Darren & Lynne
    Innkeepers, Phineas Swann Inn & Spa, Montgomery, Vermont
    2023 Imagine 2670MK
    2024 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched to T-Mobile from Verizon about a year and a half ago. We got the senior citizen plan then because we were in a S&B for a few months and had a wired connection. Once we went back on the road we upgraded to the bigger plan, which gives us 50GB of hot spot use for each of our phones. Jo Ann has used her 50GB up two or three times. I never have, so when she runs out she just uses my phone's hot spot.

We were warned that using the hot spot will work the battery harder, so the phone will get warm. That does happen, so removing the phone from the case is a good idea.

We rarely use public wifi, as we've heard too many stories of hackers. Our son works in computer security, and he would have our heads if we made a habit of using it.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Visible, a Verizon owned company. $25.00 a month with unlimited talk, text and data....bring your own phone or buy one. 5g included.

And.... Unlimited hotspot at 5mbps. That's sufficient to stream Amazon prime tv. Clearly no gaming and it likely wouldn't be sufficient if you had to work... but we have been able to stream on very weak signals anywhere Verizon has service. The antenna gets us locals if there are any and the DVR works if there is nothing else [emoji4]
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use our phones as hotspots. We have phones on two of the nationwide services which gets us a strong signal pretty much any place it matters. I use a travel router in the trailer to connect to either the hotspot or campground WiFi, which ever has better signal, and our devices always connect to the travel router.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2023 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast