User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Looks like you have done lots of work on this subject, but I was wondering why the cinch rings you linked are more effective than standard 1/2" ones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    The problem with std 1/2 clamps is they don’t clamp down hard enough on soft braided hose, so they can leak. Apparently Kevin2282 experimented to find an optimally dimensioned metric clamp. You may notice they are called “beverage clamps.” That’s because beverage dispensing systems use braided plastic hoses extensively.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitexc View Post
    Haven’t even taken possession of our Reflection and I feel I should put a kit together after reading this and other threads. Input is welcome and this would be emergency use type stuff.
    I have had my Solitude for going on 5 years now and have yet to have a hose or hose fitting leak. I have had the filter on water pump leak, and the pump itself leak.
    That being said, I carry two 6' lengths of pex pipe, crimp tool, cutting tool, elbows, unions, t's, plugs, water heater check valve etc. Don't use plastic fittings, get brass ones.
    Water alarms under the Nautilus panel/water pump(how I found my leaks), water heater, shower pan, both bathroom & kitchen sinks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Instapark-Lea...%2C254&sr=8-37
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Good stuff Jerry.......Kid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you have done lots of work on this subject, but I was wondering why the cinch rings you linked are more effective than standard 1/2" ones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Comment Note: This only applied to the flex hoses used in my 2019 Reflection, your hoses might be different.

The standard 1/2" (17mm/17.5mm) cinch rings would not fit over the flex hose with the PB end inserted. Using two 18.5 rings allowed me to get full compression on the rings over all of the ribs on the PB end for a completely watertight connection. I tried several sizes and the 18.5mm worked the best.
    Last edited by Kevin2282; 12-28-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    Comment Note: This only applied to the flex hoses used in my 2019 Reflection, your hoses might be different.

The standard 1/2" (17mm/17.5mm) cinch rings would not fit over the flex hose with the PB end inserted. Using two 18.5 rings allowed me to get full compression on the rings over all of the ribs on the PB end for a completely watertight connection. I tried several sizes and the 18.5mm worked the best.
    I now realize that I missed that you were referring to using them only on the flex hose. That makes good sense, as the factory uses the standard 1/2" rings and that's where the leaks are occurring. Thanks for your input.

Earlier in the thread @FlyStar mentioned using regular screw type hose clamps with the flex hose and adapter fittings. Did you try any of these before going with the 18.5mm cinch rings?
    Last edited by dryfly; 12-28-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier in the thread @FlyStar mentioned using regular screw type hose clamps with the flex hose and adapter fittings. Did you try any of these before going with the 18.5mm cinch rings?
    I had thought about it, but as an engineer I am a little OCD about doing it the best way that I can. The PEX cinch rings provide a consistent clamping all the way round the barrel of the clamp. A screw type hose clamp is a little more inconsistent but would probably work just fine. Also, the 18.5mm Oetiker beverage chinch clamp were just wide enough that by using two I could effectively use all of the contact surface of the PB adapter to clamp against. This added a little bit of insurance against leaks.
    Kevin and Jennifer

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought about it, but as an engineer I am a little OCD about doing it the best way that I can. The PEX cinch rings provide a consistent clamping all the way round the barrel of the clamp. A screw type hose clamp is a little more inconsistent but would probably work just fine. Also, the 18.5mm Oetiker beverage chinch clamp were just wide enough that by using two I could effectively use all of the contact surface of the PB adapter to clamp against. This added a little bit of insurance against leaks.
    Very good point about screw type clamps. One of the problems with braided hose is it’s so soft, the material “flows” over time to fill voids. Screw clamps have small open voids on each side of the screw holder where the plastic hose can open small channels for potential leaks. But using screw clamps on properly sized barb fittings has the benefit of the sharper tighter fitting barbs preventing the channels from forming.

As in all these related discussions, it comes down to using connections that are matched to the pipe/tubing. Not all fittings you can get onto or into a tube/pipe will be reliable over time.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the connections still working out?
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    Are the connections still working out?
    Hi Tim,

Yes, the PB adapter with two 18.5mm Oetiker still works great. I have not had any of the PB transitions from PEX to flex hose leak. I set my pressure regulator at 60psi and everything is good.

These are the 18.5mm Oetiker beverage rings that I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233776375434

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flex to PEX Adapter.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	49791
    Last edited by Kevin2282; 02-22-2024 at 10:57 AM.
    Kevin and Jennifer

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When replacing the sft hose with pex. It is recommended to use the soft hose at the water pump. The pex with as stiff as it is could vibrate making noise you would be able to hear.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast