User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carbon Monoxide reminder

Hi folks

I don’t often post but thought this was worth it to remind all of us about CO

We operate our Champion 3400 from the front of my 8’ bed. Typically I run it on propane to power the AC or other items. Never had an issue

This week we stopped overnight at Cracker Barrel and ran the bedroom AC on our 303. I ran the propane until it ran out around 3:30 am. I went out and flipped it over to gas, and went back to bed. This was the first time using gas to power the bedroom AC Thankfully I’ve always been a poor sleeper

About 30 minutes later i started smelling exhaust in the bedroom while my wife slept. I looked over at 1 of the 2 backup CO detectors I have. It was reading 70 ppm. Not enough to kill you by any means but it will make you ill and trip the alarm after a specified time. Clearly something was wrong

Obvy I shut the genny down for the night

The following day I ran some tests and learned that this occurred only when using the front AC on gas, not on propane. I’m thinking the AC takes in a little of the outside exhaust and blows it into the RV

Now I only run the living area AC as it is much further away from the genny, & I only use propane if using AC.

Last point here. I ran a long test using gas with no AC units on. The CO level stayed at zero. Again it must be the intake of the AC

Feel free to comment. Safe travels

Bob
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran my 2 gas portables one time in my 6.5' bed of truck and the fumes must of came up thru the front cap into bedroom. I wasn't running the fan or AC just kitchen stuff so we could cook. I couldn't run them long because the fumes got really bad. I believe since my truck bed was short and most of the front of 5er is over the bed the fumes went up and into the cap and then into bedroom. I do not run them while in the truck bed anymore.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    I ran my 2 gas portables one time in my 6.5' bed of truck and the fumes must of came up thru the front cap into bedroom. I wasn't running the fan or AC just kitchen stuff so we could cook. I couldn't run them long because the fumes got really bad. I believe since my truck bed was short and most of the front of 5er is over the bed the fumes went up and into the cap and then into bedroom. I do not run them while in the truck bed anymore.
    Where did you move it to Allen?
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now since I only use them occasionally for a short time to cook when stopped for the night I take them out of the bed of truck (each one doesn't weight that much) and put them on the street side of trailer. I don't open any windows on that side and because there isn't anything around them they have more ventilation to dissipate fumes. Some day I might mount them on the back of trailer that's if the fumes don't find there way in back there. I would have to do some tests before I do that.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I’m thinking of doing the same

This ones heavy and awkward to lift out of the bed when hitched up. The overhang makes it tough I’m my back

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertS377 View Post
    Hi folks

I don’t often post but thought this was worth it to remind all of us about CO

We operate our Champion 3400 from the front of my 8’ bed. Typically I run it on propane to power the AC or other items. Never had an issue

This week we stopped overnight at Cracker Barrel and ran the bedroom AC on our 303. I ran the propane until it ran out around 3:30 am. I went out and flipped it over to gas, and went back to bed. This was the first time using gas to power the bedroom AC Thankfully I’ve always been a poor sleeper

About 30 minutes later i started smelling exhaust in the bedroom while my wife slept. I looked over at 1 of the 2 backup CO detectors I have. It was reading 70 ppm. Not enough to kill you by any means but it will make you ill and trip the alarm after a specified time. Clearly something was wrong

Obvy I shut the genny down for the night

The following day I ran some tests and learned that this occurred only when using the front AC on gas, not on propane. I’m thinking the AC takes in a little of the outside exhaust and blows it into the RV

Now I only run the living area AC as it is much further away from the genny, & I only use propane if using AC.

Last point here. I ran a long test using gas with no AC units on. The CO level stayed at zero. Again it must be the intake of the AC

Feel free to comment. Safe travels

Bob
    It seems the ac unit should not take in any outside air as it is a closed system. Interior air is drawn into the evaporator, heat is removed then the same air is discharged back into the room. Really the same way a refrigerator works. No air exchange takes place. No pressure differential. I would remove the outer cover from the unit on the roof and check for any leaky seams in the evaporator tin. I would also make sure the mounting bolts are properly torqued.

Your tests would be driving me nuts trying to find out why the ac could be pulling in outside air.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    It seems the ac unit should not take in any outside air as it is a closed system. Interior air is drawn into the evaporator, heat is removed then the same air is discharged back into the room. Really the same way a refrigerator works. No air exchange takes place. No pressure differential. I would remove the outer cover from the unit on the roof and check for any leaky seams in the evaporator tin. I would also make sure the mounting bolts are properly torqued.

Your tests would be driving me nuts trying to find out why the ac could be pulling in outside air.
    I assumed there was some level of intake. I’m glad to know it shouldn’t not be doing that, and would agree it’s getting in elsewhere. We just don’t get why it leaks I. When I my running the AC. If there is a bad seal wouldn’t it get in regardless!

This brings me back to Allen’s solution, the simple set and safest. Just don’t run it in the bed
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where the fifth wheel hitch is attached to the frame under the overhang there is lots of space for fumes to be pulled up thru and into the bedroom. I can not imagine that these are built air tight in this area. The slide out in the bedroom may be another area for fumes to be pulled inside. As Kim , @Chiefblueman , has stated above this should be a closed system. When operating under normal conditions you open and close the entry door and that allows "fresh" air into the system. When everything is shut it will draw air from the easiest path. Since our first TT we have learned to leave a window or roof vent open a little to allow a constant renewal of fresh air. We discovered this while running the heat one time. Everyone woke in the morning with dry mouths and headaches from the lack of fresh air.
    Sorry that was a lot of rambling.

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not lengthy at all Brian. I appreciate hearing this. Simply not worth it and will come up with another means.

I may just store it inside the RV entryway , and take it out when we stop at night. It’s on wheels so I’ll chain it to the front of the truck which is far enough away

Not convenient but it’s too hot in there without it when we trek thru Texas and Florida as we do frequently. Maybe I’ll look at a front mount hitch carrier for the truck and put it there.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertS377 View Post
    Not lengthy at all Brian. I appreciate hearing this. Simply not worth it and will come up with another means.

I may just store it inside the RV entryway , and take it out when we stop at night. It’s on wheels so I’ll chain it to the front of the truck which is far enough away

Not convenient but it’s too hot in there without it when we trek thru Texas and Florida as we do frequently. Maybe I’ll look at a front mount hitch carrier for the truck and put it there.
    There are also platforms that attach to the rear bumper of the camper.
    Here is just one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-n-Lock-...s%2C171&sr=8-3
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast