User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Alarm prematurely reaching End of Life

I have replaced the MTI 20-441-P in my Imagine 2800BH twice in less than one year since I bought it new last September 2018. Both times it had the Red-Red-Green-Green lights and beeped every 30 seconds or so, so I am sure it was the End of Life alarm. I’m not sure what the manufactured date was on the first one I replaced but the one in there now (which is alarming End of Life) has a 9/2018 date on the back. Is there possibly something wrong with the wiring or something else in my camper that is causing them to fail prematurely? I live in Arizona so the camper gets very hot when not in use and in storage (~100deg F)…can’t think of anything else strange.
    John and Jessica - Plus 3 Kids...2 Cats...2 Dogs
    Tucson, AZ - Sabino Creek

2019 Imagine 2800BH
    Towing with 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Super Crew

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would try and contact MTI and see what they think. If nothing else they may send you a new one.

Edit: Mine lasted 5+ years in very hot storage conditions.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 08-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More thoughts...

Do you remove or completely disconnect battery during storage? It may not like having no power for periods of time.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    More thoughts... Do you remove or completely disconnect battery during storage? It may not like having no power for periods of time.
    Another thought - non-expert in my case - but I wondered the opposite: maybe the alarm doesn't like being powered in 100-plus degree temps.

@wileyAZ46 please let us know what the manufacturer says / does.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    More thoughts...

Do you remove or completely disconnect battery during storage? It may not like having no power for periods of time.
    Yes, I typically throw the battery disconnect when it’s in storage. Maybe I’ll stop doing this??

I emailed MTI, will keep y’all posted with their response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John and Jessica - Plus 3 Kids...2 Cats...2 Dogs
    Tucson, AZ - Sabino Creek

2019 Imagine 2800BH
    Towing with 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Super Crew

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wileyAZ46 View Post
    Yes, I typically throw the battery disconnect when it’s in storage. Maybe I’ll stop doing this??

I emailed MTI, will keep y’all posted with their response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The battery disconnect typically does not kill the alarms but they are not terribly consistent with the wiring.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a few weeks in storage I found the alarm would consistently go into an alarm status, chirping with red light. I aired out the RV well, no good, removed it from wall and cut the power to it, re powered, still no good. I contacted MTI and they told me it to replace it, out of warranty. New unit has been fine for weeks. Premature failure I suppose. 2017 model.
    MTI Industries 12V 25 Series Safe-T-Alert Mini RV Dual Carbon Monoxide/Propane Alarm
    Eric & Monique Cope...never left at home, our dog, Olive. Machipongo VA.
    2017 350M
    2017 F350 DRW, Crew cab, 8 ft bed, 4.10 axle. 27,500 lb. Reese Hitch
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wileyAZ46 View Post
    As @JCR GD noted the battery disconnect switch doesn't usually disconnect the alarms so they'll run until the battery is dead. Did you hear back from the manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cope View Post
    After a few weeks in storage I found the alarm would consistently go into an alarm status, chirping with red light. I aired out the RV well, no good, removed it from wall and cut the power to it, re powered, still no good. I contacted MTI and they told me it to replace it, out of warranty. New unit has been fine for weeks. Premature failure I suppose. 2017 model. MTI Industries 12V 25 Series Safe-T-Alert Mini RV Dual Carbon Monoxide/Propane Alarm
    Is there a chance that the "chirping with red light" was related to low battery? I've experienced and many others have reported that the trailer's "standard" battery can be killed after only weeks in storage because as mentioned above the alarms don't get disconnected when the factory "battery disconnect" switch is thrown. Removing the connection at the battery preserves the battery.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch