User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    I have a pullrite superglide. There is no place to put a padlock.
    On the 16K there is a place to put one, but I would need a two step ladder to reach it. I like the pullrite because when it latches you know it won't unlock unless you lift and pull the handle. . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Pullrite Superglide that looked like it was latched and you could pull the RV for a little bit then it let loose! I added Butch's latch to it.

I think he has since went out of business

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/5th-w...it-108952.html
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost dropped my fifth wheel recently. I was unhitching at the campground, hit the button to ground the front jacks and while they were coming down went and chocked the trailer tires. I then lowered the jacks some more to take the weight off of the hitch and pulled the pin and lever to open the jaws (B&W Companion slider). The trailer settled back a few inches as usual until the tires moved tight against the chocks. I then got distracted by my wife asking me a question. I then went and hit auto level forgetting to pull the truck away. Auto level lowers the front some first which means the jacks retract. This put the weight back on the hitch plate and then the jacks keep coming up as the system kept trying to lower the front first before leveling. Because it had settled back some I was 1/2 way out of the hitch. When I realized what I had done I panicked frantically trying to get the jacks back down quick. They were almost all of the way up.

Lessons learned: Don't get distracted and always chock your tires. This I believe is what saved me. Without the tires chocked I believe the trailer would have rolled back allowing the pin box to slide off of the hitch. I plan on making a complete step by step check list for both inside and outside the trailer and hitching and unhitching and let my wife call out the steps in order.
    Last edited by HighFive; 09-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew,

Sorry this happened to you. Make sure you check the frame.

As Marcy said, ours was more violent...we had a B&W hitch, and had towed about 175 miles with stop and go, turns, etc then we stopped at a rest stop. About 10 miles later going 60 mph on the interstate the fifth wheel came off the back of the truck and stopped via a combination of the break away switch and a road sign. The reflection was in the dirt to the bottom of the front basement and the front of a nightstand was knocked off. Unfortunately, insurance didn't total it. Several months later we noticed a bulge on one side. We have since traded up to a solitude, as we had planned.

We now use a padlock on the hitch pin - the one recommended by B&W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post
    Andrew,

Sorry this happened to you. Make sure you check the frame.

As Marcy said, ours was more violent...we had a B&W hitch, and had towed about 175 miles with stop and go, turns, etc then we stopped at a rest stop. About 10 miles later going 60 mph on the interstate the fifth wheel came off the back of the truck and stopped via a combination of the break away switch and a road sign. The reflection was in the dirt to the bottom of the front basement and the front of a nightstand was knocked off. Unfortunately, insurance didn't total it. Several months later we noticed a bulge on one side. We have since traded up to a solitude, as we had planned.

We now use a padlock on the hitch pin - the one recommended by B&W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We went in for lunch at a truck stop a few years ago. When we came out I did a circle check and noticed my breakaway plug/cable had been pulled and was laying on the bed of the truck. I looked around and there was a guy nearby watching me from beside his truck and scrap car carrier. He slowly turned away when I made eye contact. If he did what I think he did, he was probably waiting to have a chuckle when I tried to drive away and the trailer wouldn't have moved. Just wondering Dave and Kay if you were away from your trailer at the rest stop.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still need to turn the rod to lock in place just like the Anderson a push rod to unlock/pull to unlock

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading about people having their pins disengaged in truck stops and having the 5th wheel jaws not latch I made this simple pin catch for mine. If the pin is not captured for any reason this safety catch will capture it before it does any damage to the 5th wheel trailer or your bed rails. I tested it several times and it always safely "catches" it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190924_180314.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	22859

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pull test

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I dropped my 303 Friday morning as we were leaving the campground. The cause was simple, I forgot to padlock the hitch latch closed as usual, just a dangerous, stupid error. We had been out camping all summer covering 8000+ miles and were heading home on the last short leg of the trip. I pulled out of the camping spot making almost a 180 degree turn onto the exit road. I heard an unusual noise and decided to test the trailer brakes to make sure everything was tightly connected. Bad decision. I watched in the rear view mirror as the trailer pulled out of the truck followed by a loud noise. We were barely moving and, when I stopped, we were close enough that the umbilical to the truck was still attached and not stretched. The tailgate was lying in the road between the truck and trailer and the trailer was sitting (kneeling?) on its front leveling jacks. After looking at the damages, I believe that the king pin pulled out of the hitch, the rv came down on the truck siderails (minor denting), and then ripped the tailgate on out as it was falling down. The emergency brake sensor pulled and I believe the RV had stopped moving before it hit the ground (no skid marks or distortion on the snap-pads). After some work, we managed to get the tailgate into the back seat of the truck and rehitch. To my surprise, there was enough throw in the front jacks to take the pin up above the hitch and I was able to hitch up as usual - yes, this time carefully padlocking the hitch closed. We had an uneventful rest of the trip and arrived home about an hour later than expected, of course with a heck of a mess to clean up. On inspection, I can’t find any significant damage to the camper. The leveling jacks work as before. The only other part of the camper to touch the ground was a corner of the frame that holds the stairs into the camper. The stairs still go in and out but with a bit more friction and I will need to straighten that slightly. My question to learned members of the forum is what should I be looking for and how can I make sure I don’t miss any problems? There is no obvious damage to the beams or welds or structure in the front of the unit where it landed. My working assumption is that the tailgate basically took one for the team and cushioned the fall as it ripped completely out the back of the truck. The body shop will fix the truck. I hope I don’t need similar work on the RV but want to be as sure as practical.
    So sorry about your mishap. As a former truck driver of 20 years, I can tell you that your pull test should be when you are parked. Simply release your brakes with the trailer still chocked and do a firm pull with truck.
    Also, do a pull test or visually inspect your fifth wheel every time you leave your vehicle unattended. Some sick truck drivers get their kicks from pulling your pin and watching you screw up. So glad this didn't happen on the highway. So, it could have been much worse. No quite a free lesson but nobody got hurt or killed. As a professional former Commercial Driver Training Instructor, I would suggest you to hook up and unhook using the same procedure every time you hook up or unhook. Then, you are less likely to miss any step of your method.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    verify the seams on your 5th wheel are tight and don't need to be caulked from the stress where it hit the bed rails

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pullrite Superlite. With the positive contact the ball makes, it is almost impossible to drop the trailer. I guess if you forgot to release the pin that keeps the ball from popping out, you could, but all the weight of the trailer is sitting on the pin pressing it into the holder. Added bonus, the hitch weights in at only 58 lbs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast