User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How much wind is required to knock over a camper?

I thought I saw a thread on this last year but I can’t seem to find it. I’m sure there is a mathematical calculation that factors in length, width, height and weight of the trailer, wind speed, trajectory etc.
    I’m also curious if anyone has witnessed trailers being blown over and if so, at what wind speed?
    Obviously hurricanes and tornadoes wouldn’t have a problem doing this but I’m curious about the minimum wind speed that would be considered “dangerous” to someone in... say a 9,000 pound 27’ fifth wheel that is boondocking in the desert.

: )

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3779.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	22999
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 10-09-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had some very intense winds in FL a few yers ago, close to if not over 50 to 60 mph gusts. The wind was so intense it blew rain into the stove vent and it gathered on the counter between the stove and fridge. A tornado passed less than 5 miles south of us and you could definately feel the rocking, it made me nervous enough to think get the heck out but the trailer held strong in spite of the rocking . I got out of bed and sat "downstairs" in the living room..somehow that made me feel safer lol. Take some dramamine and put your nose to the wind!

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From another site, the size and weight of your rig will come into play but this is an example.

“The few instrumented vehicles exposed to severe winds indicate that stationary vehicles in open terrain are not upset by winds of about 45 m/s (100 mi/hr). . . Thus, it appears unlikely that a stationary vehicle will be upset by winds on the vehicle of less than 52 m/s (115 mi/hr). The probability of upset, and thus the percentage of vehicles upset, will increase as wind speed increases above 52 ms (115 mi/hr). At some wind speed, perhaps greater than 81 m/s (180 mi/hr), most vehicles in the wind field will be upset.”

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I thought I saw a thread on this last year but I can’t seem to find it. I’m sure there is a mathematical calculation that factors in length, width, height and weight of the trailer, wind speed, trajectory etc.
    I’m also curious if anyone has witnessed trailers being blown over and if so, at what wind speed?
    Obviously hurricanes and tornadoes wouldn’t have a problem doing this but I’m curious about the minimum wind speed that would be considered “dangerous” to someone in... say a 9,000 pound 27’ fifth wheel that is boondocking in the desert.

: )

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3779.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	22999
    I don’t know and never want to find out!

I have towed in an estimated 50 mph wind. Didn’t realize how windy till I hit a rest stop and it nearly took the doors off my truck. Mini weather station in the rest stop was recording steady 40 mph and gusts over 50.
    Oddly the biggest issue we had was gas truck struggling to maintain 55 and mileage dropped to 5 mpg. We could feel the wind while driving but were very stable. CGVW ABOUT 20,000 lbs.

Lucky I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been stationary in thunderstorms with gusts at 50 mph and had no issue. But I was all puckered up the first time.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that the study cited by @wakeupandwander was not for high profile vehicles like RVs. We have a few personal experiences that may offer some anecdotal evidence, though (we scale right at 14,000 lbs. consistently - all instances are with truck unhitched except for the ones when driving):

1) 60 MPH sustained winds with gusts to 75 MPH (measured) from the starboard quarter. Rig rocked but remained stable. The wind bashed the door into my head when I tried exiting to take something to my wife who was teaching a cooking class down at the clubhouse (Escapees co-op park in California).

2) 35 - 45 MPH sustained winds with higher gusts (measured) broadside in the Texas hill country. Again, rig rocked but remained relatively stable.

3) Driving in 35 - 45 MPH crosswinds with gusts to 55 MPH (per NWS for the area) in west Texas. I watched class A motorhomes having trouble maintaining their lane. Our rig tracked straight down our lane without wavering. I did have to put some extra pressure on the steering wheel in some of the gusts.

4) Not nearly as relevant as it was a tailwind... 45 - 50 MPH sustained with gusts to 65 on I-10 between Palm Springs and Indio in California. I was elated with the fuel mileage! I was "shooting the breeze" (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) with two UPS drivers who where waiting to swap trailers at the rest stop. They said it was like that through that slot quite frequently (perhaps that's why there are so many wind farms in that area). Standing outside, we had to keep our feet spread apart and lean into the wind to stay upright. Reminded me of my sailing days.

On travel days that are forecast to have high winds, I keep the fresh water tank full for an extra 560 lbs. of ballast down low. Our current DRW truck is more stable towing in high winds than our previous SRW truck was, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a pretty intense wind storm last year in the Poconos. We actually went to my wife's sisters house. I left rv at the park, closed the slides and had all tanks filled. 60 plus mph gusts with sustained winds around 35 or so. RV came out fine. I get nervous when it rocks with strong winds.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First trip out with the Imagine, we had all jacks down, in the front on a small stack of lego blocks, and the wheels up on blocks for leveling. Big thunderstorm came, and the whole trailer rocked hard. Between water soaked ground and the wind, the whole trailer was pushed sideways about a foot. No damage, but was pretty scary to be inside. Next morning, three trailers around us that were seasonal - up on cement blocks, decks, etc. had been moved off their foundation, with varying degrees of damage.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While traveling on Interstate 70 in Utah three years ago we encountered winds that actually deployed the steps. The wind was blowing from the drivers side of the truck/5th wheel and I looked back as saw the steps were out. I stopped and could barely get the door open on the truck because of the strong winds coming from the south. After putting the steps back up we started out again only to see them come back out a mile or two down the road. I stopped again and tied them up with a rope. Later that evening we saw on the news where two 18 wheelers were overturned north of us in Salt Lake City. We had never encountered winds like that while pulling a 5th wheel. It was really scary and the truck was guzzling diesel fuel like crazy. This section of I 70 has no services for 70 miles or so and we barely made it to a fuel stop. This was the most stressful day of traveling I have ever experienced. Now we watch weather reports before setting out on a trip!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year we rode out TS Alberto in our 313RLTS. We we’re about 10 miles from the storm’s center. It buffeted the trailer a bit, bit I had sandwiched ourselves between two other vehicles. Barring a tornado, I didn’t feel like we’d get blown over.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast