User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to find our RVing groove

My wife and I have used our 2500RL three times now. Each time we learn something new. Aside from gaining an understanding of the trailer mechanical and electrical systems we are trying to find our groove when it comes to RVing vs just getting a hotel room. We bought the trailer because we were sick of hotel rooms and eating out all the time. We thought if we had a trailer we would have a place of our own to come back to rather than the hotel crapshoot we had been experiencing. We also liked the idea of being able to cook there rather than eating out all the time.

All this has worked out, however, we were not prepared for all the preparation, setup, takedown, cleaning time for every trip. I am thinking the reason for this has been our trips have all been only 2 night stays. So, all the setup and takedown feel like a lot just because we were not there long.

I hope I have explained this well. Anyone have recommendations?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV'ing is something that requires a commitment. And it takes awhile to get into the swing of it.

Owners often develop techniques to making their trips easier. We most often only cook outside on a gas grill and with our electric skillet--keeping the kitchen clean. We also use paper plates and plastic utensels and cups that are throwaways. Fortunately, we're retired and can easily schedule long weekends.

Best thing we've done is buy into a deeded camp resort that has storage lots for the trailers @ $32.50 a month. I call them and they move our camper on site for us for $30. We don't even have to own a tow vehicle (but we do.)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    My wife and I have used our 2500RL three times now. Each time we learn something new. Aside from gaining an understanding of the trailer mechanical and electrical systems we are trying to find our groove when it comes to RVing vs just getting a hotel room. We bought the trailer because we were sick of hotel rooms and eating out all the time. We thought if we had a trailer we would have a place of our own to come back to rather than the hotel crapshoot we had been experiencing. We also liked the idea of being able to cook there rather than eating out all the time.

All this has worked out, however, we were not prepared for all the preparation, setup, takedown, cleaning time for every trip. I am thinking the reason for this has been our trips have all been only 2 night stays. So, all the setup and takedown feel like a lot just because we were not there long.

I hope I have explained this well. Anyone have recommendations?
    In the same vein as Bamaman, for the past two and a half years, we’ve taken advantage of both fall and spring “specials” at a fairly local campground. We pay a special rate for 5 off-season (early spring, and again, late fall) weekends (kids are in school, and the CG has sites going empty during these times). We get to keep the trailer all set up in the site, and for an extra $10 per week, we can leave her connected to power (refrigerator-no cooler food lugging). These deals included one holiday weekend in the deal. It was very nice, just throwing the bikes or the boat on the back of the truck each Friday and trotting off “to camp”. We aren’t going to do this anymore because the owner keeps cramming huge trailers where they don’t belong on the holidays-they’re kind of zoo-like now.

We’ve talked about what we’ll do instead, and conclude that neither of us wants to set up and break down for only two nights. We plan to take long weekends next year. So, I understand completely when you talk about waking up to the amount of work involved. It’s just the two of us, and we’ve got our routine down pretty efficiently: place trailer, level trailer, awning mat down, open slide and awning, set up folding table, take dorm fridge out of trailer, plug in, throw down chairs, open adult beverages. Everything after that is at your leisure: build a fire, start dinner, take a walk, bike ride, just kick back.

We don’t travel with a lot of gear. Anything I want to cook can be made on our grill and camp stove or on the fire. We usually take one longer trip each summer for about a week and a half.

The weekend special deal was a great thing for the CG, as well as the customers, and I can’t help but think we could find another CG willing to do that same deal (probably without a holiday attached-4 weekends off-peak instead of 5). Retirement is coming up for Bruce fairly soon, then we won’t have to dole out his comp time and vacation days. But til then, we try to keep the process quick and simple. Granny’s stocked with all her own “stuff”, so minimal toting, and we pretty much leave the fridge powered up from April to October. It will get easier.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought of something else-you were looking for a long enough cord to plug in at home. Being able to have your trailer at home, connected to power helps the whole process from becoming overwhelming. I frankly wouldn’t do it if I couldn’t keep her at our house (having separation anxiety today-we’re about to take her to her winter storage building-right now-Bruce is yelling at me to get off line!!!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    ^^^This. We found the same issue. Getting ready to go, driving there, getting all setup and then breaking it down and doing it all over again in just one more day became an irritant. Where was the relaxation part?

So we incorporated a lot of the suggestions that @Bamaman made. We use paper plates, cook outside when possible, and make sure that we keep all of the stuff we normally use in the trailer (kitchen, bathroom, bedding, etc) are kept in the trailer so we don't have to load everything every time.

We also try and go out for longer periods of time, I personally like from Monday to Friday for short trips as that keeps us clear of the weekend traffic and crowds. This year we spent our longest time in the trailer. A month in Colorado during the summer. We just loved it. Once we had the routine down it was really not more work than living at home, with plenty of down time in between chores.

So the trick to having more fun with your trailer is to use it more
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would concur with everything being said. My wife and I have done weekend trips for years and have never felt it's too much work for just two nights. I never thought about, but my wife and I are minimalist so we pack very light. Our trailer has a complete kitchen, bed, and bathroom setup. All we need to do for a trip is toss in clothes and food. It sounds like you're trying to take too much and set up too much for just a couple of nights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a goal of being able to leave within 2 hours of deciding to go. That means minimal packing so the camper has to be just about ready to go. I use checklists to minimize how long things take, or at least cut down on extra trips and wasted time.

One checklist has everything that needs to be refilled periodically: dish soap, paper towels, salt & pepper, coffee filters etc.. We try to note when those things are low and get them taken care of when we get home. Also have an inside and outside “Road Ready” list to speed up securing things for travel. Works to get us on the road faster heading out and coming back.

Anything that slows us down we try to find a better way to do it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @Bamaman said, RVing is a commitment (I think the term, "lifestyle" might be a better fit). We had a travel trailer prior to going full-time in the fifth wheel. We did not see it as a hotel substitute but rather a change of pace and a way to get away from everything that car/hotel travel entails. The destinations are less urban, quieter, and more laid back. There's the convenience of cooking "at home" and having your own bed and anything else you want with you. On the other hand, we never made anything shorter than three night trips with the TT and, when just three nights, stayed within a half day's drive.

I used to fly in my younger days and we used to joke that there was an hour's worth of paperwork for every 30 minutes of flying. You can reduce that ratio - in this case prep time to camping time - by staying out longer. Your profile says that you are retired (don't know about your wife), but that affords you the flexibility to leave things behind for a bit longer. We also learned, over time, what non-perishables and supplies we could leave in the TT and what we needed to stock just before leaving. This lessened the work and prep time. Both of us got excited about prepping (my wife loves to plan meals and cook and I love all the "guy" aspects of RVing) and that only added to the enjoyment. I'm using the past tense here because, since going full-time, it's "just life."

Hang in there. You'll find your groove.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You guys should sell your truck and trailer and buy a nice van. You’d get a lot more enjoyment out of it, considering your travel style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once Im-A-Gene takes off her winter jammies, the ADCO cover, all basic food staples and trailer linen, towels and clothes are loaded. That stuff stays in the trailer until about now, when we empty her for the winter. Canned goods, flour, sugar, salt and pepper, cooking oil, syrup and pancake mixes, seasoning and other dry goods are best moved only once. Have a set of dishes, glasses, flatware, pots and pans, baking sheets and cooking utensils for the trailer that stay in her, always. SWMBO has box of chemicals and soaps, including laundry soap, softener, dishwashing liquid, shampoos, conditioners etc... Much easier and you don’t find yourself at a camp site without a corkscrew or garlic press. Fridge is fired up a day before leaving, all the food is organized in stackable square plastic containers. Hook up is quick as is teardown, less than an hour. longest in one place was five days, typical is three days with a bunch of “on the way there” single nights, for a total of just under 80 nights over the past two years. It gets easier, but I really suggest you have trailer specific items that you are not constantly moving around. Cleaning is also highly over rated, we have skipped grudging out the unit if we know we are heading out in a week or so.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast