User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    Thank you for your quick response, You sent me on a good research mission. I have learned a lot this afternoon.

Is yours a direct system or indirect (External on stems)?

how long have you had it & what don't you like about it? I am leaning on the internal, although, I have no idea how much it would cost to have them installed or if it a BIG issue....is it worth it.
    It's always a great debate, internal vs external. The internal ones you have to take the wheels to a tire shop to have the tire removed and the sensor installed. The external ones you have to take the wheels to a tire shop and have the stems replaced with metal ones.

Some will argue that metal stems are not necessary, but I travel lots and lots of miles each year, the rubber ones eventually tear, maybe not right away, but eventually.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a case with a screw in the rear tire (I could actually see the head of the Phillips head screw). TST brand started beeping at 65 psi with time to find a good level paved spot. Changed the tire with help from wife. Got it fixed at the next town in Montana, US 2. Really glad for the TPMS, no damage, tire was easily repairable, could have been much worse, I really believe in this system.

We are now hunkered down with the "stay at home" from the Governor.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hey y'all... I just ordered the TST 507 for my 2018 Solitude. I will be pulling with a Ford 2020 F350 DRW and am trying to figure out a few things that maybe your experiences could help me with:

1. Can you use my system TST 507 with external flow through sensors with the nitrogen in the tires?

2. I have read how the temperature and altitude impact the pressure - do you thing that my Ford TPMS will advance at about the same rate as the TST 507 on the 5th wheel? In other words, how effect will be the checking of both noting the change for both contribute to balancing of the equation?

3. What kind of air compressors do you guys carry on the road that will provide the higher pressure needs along with convenient pumping time?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good questions:

1. yes, be sure to order the sensors that allow for a flow-through connection. I did not because I did not want to change out the valve stems. I think the flow through types are much heaver than the caps.

2. yes, sometimes in the very cold mornings, they actually set off the low pressure alarm. Just look at the readout and you can see they are all the same. Just be careful when the pressure is a bit low for making hard corners which will stress the side walls. I don't mess with the pressure every day cold-hot as I do not run them at max PSI. I did let some air out as I headed South to Texas and knew the temps would be much higher averages. The specs for tires are at 68/70 degrees F.

My tires are rated max weight at 80psi at 68/70 degrees F. I have carefully weighted my rig at a CAT Scale and know that the tires are not at max weight requirements, so I run my tires at 70psi which is still 10psi higher than the weight rating and they ride so much smoother. So, if my temps are going to be in the 40's and 50's, I will set the tire pressures for ~70psi at those temps. Think about what you need the tire pressure to do, they hold the shape of the tire, whatever the temp, you need it to be holding the shape of the tire. So, if your target is 70psi, you need to adjust for the temp so it is at that temp when the tires are cold. When you get on the road, you will be surprised to see the tires gain 20psi as they "warm up" on the highway, some do to the temp of the road, but also from the flexing of the tire itself. Don't worry if the PSI when they are "hot" running down the road is 10 or even 20psi over the max rating as that max rating number is for a "cold tire at 70degrees F.

3. I got one of the amazon basics units about 9 mo ago. I love it because I can dial in the pressure and it runs it up to the setpoint and does not over inflate. I know a lot of guys who buy the more expensive inflaters, but I like the Amazon Basics one that I got. I just looked it up and it is no longer the same model :-(. Here is one that is similar, HAUSBELL Portable air Compressor for Car Tires, 12V DC Air Compressor tire inflator Pump, 150 PSI with Emergency LED Flashlight for Car, Motorcycles, Bicycles,Inflatables. Be sure to get one that will be fast to blow up a tire to your pressure and get one that is over your tire max requirements, you don't want to be on the edge of its specs. I cut off the lighter plug and put my own SAE plug on it that matches the external battery plug I have already installed.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the info Juiceman, Quick question about the site. Being new here, I don't understand why our times for our posts show about 4 hours later than it actually is now?
    Bigfred and Anna

2018 Solitude 300GK
    2020 F350 DRW Platium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12