User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What states count as visited?

Here is one I struggle with, we have traveled the USA quite a bit before RV'ing, tent camping or staying in camper cabins. We have also visited some states in our current small hybrid RV. We just purchased our first GD Reflection, it's also our first 5er.

Now I am torn on what states I can put on one of those state map stickers(when I get one for the new RV). Is it just states we visit with the GD Reflection or any we have RV'd in before or all the states we have visited as a couple/family and camped or camper cabin camped in?

How do you decide what gets included, especially on a new rig that is so different from your previous travels?
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L
    B&W Companion non-slider Hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is what ever you want it to be. Our current take on it is we have to spend 1 night camping there, does not matter what RV. Our first state was not even the one we live it, we borrowed a pop up from my parents to go to the eclipse in Nebraska a few years back.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    It is what ever you want it to be. Our current take on it is we have to spend 1 night camping there, does not matter what RV. Our first state was not even the one we live it, we borrowed a pop up from my parents to go to the eclipse in Nebraska a few years back.
    This is my take as well. As you'll see in my signature I've been to a few states, but I have a 2019 337RLS. If I was to include only the states that I've taken my 337RLS to it would be Washington, Oregon, California, and Arizona.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post
    Here is one I struggle with, we have traveled the USA quite a bit before RV'ing, tent camping or staying in camper cabins. We have also visited some states in our current small hybrid RV. We just purchased our first GD Reflection, it's also our first 5er.
    AFAIK it is not a crime in any state to color a map in whatever way it's most meaningful to you. Some will disagree with that, but so what?

For a while I used one of those maps seen in the signatures of some posts here, like the one in the @ramcneal post above. I had all of the 48 states and nine of the Canadian provinces colored in because I've explored all of them extensively. But not with a trailer. For years I did "walkabouts" by myself, in a car staying in hotels for five to eight weeks per year meandering all over North America, following the book "1000 Places To See in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die" as well as my own nose. Amazing experiences that are harder to have with an 8-ton trailer behind you and a wife beside you. But I was there, so my map declared it.

I have not been arrested; nobody complained or criticized it. Sounds like you've traveled extensively too... if I was you I'd declare it all on your trailer and have your stories and advice ready when people ask about it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I have not been arrested; nobody complained or criticized it. Sounds like you've traveled extensively too... if I was you I'd declare it all on your trailer and have your stories and advice ready when people ask about it.
    Exactly. I like to recount our experience of spending 3 days in our popup trailer, in the rain, with 4 kids, and 2 dogs. Shortly thereafter my wife said we needed a TT which served us well and I have just as many stories with that. It's not the RV that makes the map, it's the experiences you had in those places, looking and remember them is what's good. At least that's how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    AFAIK it is not a crime in any state to color a map in whatever way it's most meaningful to you. Some will disagree with that, but so what?

For a while I used one of those maps seen in the signatures of some posts here, like the one in the @ramcneal post above. I had all of the 48 states and nine of the Canadian provinces colored in because I've explored all of them extensively. But not with a trailer. For years I did "walkabouts" by myself, in a car staying in hotels for five to eight weeks per year meandering all over North America, following the book "1000 Places To See in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die" as well as my own nose. Amazing experiences that are harder to have with an 8-ton trailer behind you and a wife beside you. But I was there, so my map declared it.

Sure like hearing everyone's methods. I am not worried if someone would call me out on any of it. I just really like getting an idea of how others decide what to do. Ultimately I'll end up doing what the wife says to do...
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L
    B&W Companion non-slider Hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I put our map in our sig line here, on a GD (topic) website, I kind of assumed it was a record of where we took “Granny”. Didn’t want anyone calling bs because we’d only had the trailer a year. Between the two of us, we could fill in a lot more states that we’ve visited, lived in, wandered around, stayed overnight, and/or camped.

You can buy a vinyl (sticker) US map online. I was thinking of getting one to put on the slide wall. We’d definitely hang more states, but perhaps draw a tent, pop-up, TT, or cabin on the appropriate state. I guess it depends on why you’re chalking up states. We view it as a jumping off point, conversation starter if you will. Others may see it as a kind of trophy-as climbing all the high peaks (Adirondacks) or diving all the oceans. Some say anywhere you’ve stayed one night (Kay @2hams says where her dog has gone swimming) . Some say you can’t “claim” a state if you’ve simply driven through it, but most times, if we’re driving through, I’ll want to get off the highway and SEE something (squirrel!!!!).

Other places we could fill in (without Granny):
    Ontario
    Quebec
    Vermont
    Maine
    Connecticut
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Florida
    Georgia
    Ohio
    Michigan
    Wyoming
    Utah
    Colorado
    Arizona
    New Mexico
    Washington
    California
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Louisiana
    Guess we should just fill in the map.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We count any state the we “camped” overnight in with a tent, pop-up, TT, 5th-wheel, and two toy haulers. We DO NOT count overnights at a truck stop, rest stop, Walmart, etc. you get the idea.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I am torn on what states I can put on one of those state map stickers(when I get one for the new RV). Is it just states we visit with the GD Reflection or any we have RV'd in before or all the states we have visited as a couple/family and camped or camper cabin camped in?

How do you decide what gets included, especially on a new rig that is so different from your previous travels?
    It's up to you. There are no "rules" for this. We started over with this camper. So our map only shows states we have traveled through with the camper. We have only driven through a few of them. Most of the states we have camped in, but we thought the map would really look odd if didn't include all the states on each trip.
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure like hearing everyone's methods. I am not worried if someone would call me out on any of it. I just really like getting an idea of how others decide what to do. Ultimately I'll end up doing what the wife says to do...
    Well, we were fairly well-traveled before we bought our fifth wheel. But we just filled in the states as ones we've actually stayed overnight in the rig in.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast