User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove Skirting in Summer?

Been back and forth on the net and found answers to be inconclusive.
    Is it recommended to remove the skirting during the summer months?
    Some say it helps keep the cool in, some say it helps remove "ground heat" with an open underbelly.

We are full timing and parked on a half grassy, half gravel pad and are sheltered quite well from sun during the day due to the surrounding trees.
    Also, being on the west coast of BC close to the ocean, I don't think our "screaming hot days" will be all that screaming..

I will take the time to cover the tires for UV deterioration, but undecided if I should remove the skirting to allow for summer air flow.
    Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?
    Any and all comments welcome!
    Thanks a mill!
    Stay safe out there!
    Ryan and Charlie
    And our four legged daughter Bobbi!
    310GK Solitude, Ford 350 dually Long Bed, 6.7L Diesel, 23K Stock Reese hitch.
    Canadian Members

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard or seen anyone ask that question before, so Im surprised when you say answer is inconclusive. Unless you mean no one has ever commented anywhere on it.

I see no reason to remove the underbelly covering. Never have and never seen a reason to.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike.
    Perhaps you did not understand the question..
    Was not the underbelly covering I was referring to.
    It is the skirting surrounding the trailer.
    (Normally used with great success in winter, but curious about summer)

Have a re-read on my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Never heard or seen anyone ask that question before, so Im surprised when you say answer is inconclusive. Unless you mean no one has ever commented anywhere on it.

I see no reason to remove the underbelly covering. Never have and never seen a reason to.

Mike
    Ryan and Charlie
    And our four legged daughter Bobbi!
    310GK Solitude, Ford 350 dually Long Bed, 6.7L Diesel, 23K Stock Reese hitch.
    Canadian Members

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I didn't understand... I saw "remove ground heat with an open belly" and immediately thought you were talking removing the underbelly covering.

Sorry
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystudiois View Post
    Some say it helps keep the cool in, some say it helps remove "ground heat" with an open underbelly.

We are full timing and parked on a half grassy, half gravel pad and are sheltered quite well from sun during the day due to the surrounding trees.
    Also, being on the west coast of BC close to the ocean, I don't think our "screaming hot days" will be all that screaming..

I will take the time to cover the tires for UV deterioration, but undecided if I should remove the skirting to allow for summer air flow.
    Thanks a mill!
    Stay safe out there!
    Ryan and Charlie,
    After reading your original post a couple times, I’m taking it that you haven’t moved from your winter spot (otherwise, you would have already removed the skirting to travel). That said, if you leave it on, you may be inviting many more uninvited “tenants” that would not be around looking for lodging during the winter months. More likely to be procreating, as well. Eviction could get dicey.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystudiois View Post

Thanks a mill!
    Stay safe out there!
    Sounds like you maybe in a semi-permanent situation. If so really in your case, you are not any different than a 14x70 foot house trailer or modular home. Skirting will keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. At least it did when my wife and I first started out living in a 14x70 house trailer. In the summer keeping it skirted, its cooler underneath the trailer, no hot air circulating under the trailer so your floors will be cooler and your air conditioner would work less keeping the unit cool. If you encounter really humid conditions and the underneath of your unit is too damp, you could remove a section or portion of your skirting from time to time to allow air to circulate underneath to dry things out and maybe eliminate any possibility of frame rust. Being from the northern region you probably don't have much trouble with dangerous "critters", but in any case you could use a "Raid Bomb" from time to time to keep the critters at bay.

Down here in Texas we have too many dangerous critters to deal with to keep it skirted during the summer. Scorpions, poisonous snakes, fire ants, black widow and brown recluse spiders, etc. Some people have severe reactions to these types of critter bites, you have to be careful. The last thing you want is to get these critters inside your rig. "Raid Bombs" dont work on these types of critters. You have to use lethal means to keep them at bay. However down here some people keep their permanent rigs skirted but they have the underside treated every once in awhile to keep the critters at bay. Heck they even build permanent wood deck porches on their rigs. But we also get up into the 100 degree temps for days on end.

Its really whatever you think is best for your situation, if it was me in a semi permanent or permanent situation, being up there in the northern regions, I would keep it skirted. You probably are not using a hard sided skirting (metal) anyway, fabric of some kind?
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-21-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel