User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Key Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

For those who may not have tuned in to the news yet and are in the area or planning to transit through Baltimore, the Key Bridge was hit by a larger container ship in the early morning hours and has completely collapsed. Rescue efforts are underway as both vehicles and construction workers were on the bridge at the time. Needless to say, the southern route of 695 is now closed as is Baltimore harbor. Can only say prayers for the victims and their families as the numbers are not yet known. The video of the collision and collapse is on most of the news channels.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a tragedy for those on the bridge and their families . I just saw the video of collapse, reminiscent of when the Skyway bridge in Tampa Bay collapsed 44 years ago.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to correct @ajg617 slightly and say that the Key Bridge is on the southeast part of loop I-695 and the loop is still accessible going to the west from I-95. Coming up (or down) the I-95 corridor, we always use the west loop when towing, anyway.

We are long-term in the Baltimore area these days and were shocked to wake up to this headline this morning. Our hearts go out to those on the bridge when it collapsed.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct Rob, but that's going put a lot of traffic that can't go through the tunnels onto the long 695 beltway making getting to/from Annapolis area harder. We used to always take the Key Bridge and Rt 2 from Annapolis when heading to/from NJ to visit our parents.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Correct Rob, but that's going put a lot of traffic that can't go through the tunnels onto the long 695 beltway making getting to/from Annapolis area harder. We used to always take the Key Bridge and Rt 2 from Annapolis when heading to/from NJ to visit our parents.
    Gotcha. Laura and I were trying to remember when the one time we towed across the Key bridge was and we think it was our first trip to APG (north of Baltimore on 95) in 2015. I didn't like the height of the bridge nor the narrowness of the lanes with semis a few inches from my left side. I vowed then and there we wouldn't do that while towing again and used western 695 ever since - only adds about 20 minutes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they normally send container ships that tall under that bridge? I know its a port... but WOW! And dont they use a Harbor Master to get them big boys in/out? Crap happens for sure... but man.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Do they normally send container ships that tall under that bridge?
    I'll bet it's the first time...
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they normally send container ships that tall under that bridge? I know its a port... but WOW! And dont they use a Harbor Master to get them big boys in/out? Crap happens for sure... but man.
    Yes - the bridge clearance is (was) 185' above MSL. Baltimore is a busy port with a lot of container shipping going on all the time. The issue here was not height. The ship lost power and hit one of the towers.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Gotcha. Laura and I were trying to remember when the one time we towed across the Key bridge was and we think it was our first trip to APG (north of Baltimore on 95) in 2015. I didn't like the height of the bridge nor the narrowness of the lanes with semis a few inches from my left side. I vowed then and there we wouldn't do that while towing again and used western 695 ever since - only adds about 20 minutes.

Rob
    All the bridges in MD give me the creeps - the one 95 crossing the Susquehanna, 301 over the Potomac, 50 from Annapolis. 301 used to be one lane each way and it is so high I couldn't see the road over the hood of the truck as we reached the top. 50 used to be 3 lanes with middle lane open in one direction depending upon rush hour commute. No barriers between either of them and a lot of truck traffic.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal size for Port of Baltimore - immense container ships. There were two US pilots on board at the time that reportedly took control to try and avoid a collision with the bridge. What they really need are tugs.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast