User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desk Modification

I'm looking into trying to attach a desk drawer under this desk as well as build a shelf under it to hold my laptop and some other small devices in order to keep them out of the way on top of the desk. What would be the best way to drill through this desk in order to put a port in as well as can I screw directly into the underside of the desk to help the drawer and shelf?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I'm looking into trying to attach a desk drawer under this desk as well as build a shelf under it to hold my laptop and some other small devices in order to keep them out of the way on top of the desk. What would be the best way to drill through this desk in order to put a port in as well as can I screw directly into the underside of the desk to help the drawer and shelf?
    Pictures would go a long way.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures of what? The desk?

I'm asking if anyone knows the material and if the material can be screwed into without damaging anything. Or, if I do try to drill into this material, will it crack.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm asking if anyone knows the material and if the material can be screwed into without damaging anything. Or, if I do try to drill into this material, will it crack.
    Hi Eddie pictures of the existing desk you are asking about would go a long way. Not everyone has the same floor plans so that helps understand the material. We could assume the wrong material type and give potentially bad advice.

Thanks,
    Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folks, he has a 320MKS.

Eddie,

It is a laminate top, over particle board. Use masking tape and a good hole saw from the top, slowly. Take your time and it will be fine. You can mount a drawer underneath pretty easily. I considered doing that, but then I'd have to run the 110 outlets down the wall, next to the refer. I'm not gonna take that kind of time. There are two 110 outlets on the left side of the desk along with 2 USB ports. There are two 110 outlets on the underside of the cabinets on the right side, along with the kitchen island light switch and the desk light switch.

Since I'll be working full time when we are full timing, I'll have my dual monitors set up on the desk with my mini PC. The printer will go on a roll cart (gotta find it first), under the desk and pulled out if I need it. I'll keep the shade behind the monitors drawn to keep the sun and heat of of them. Everything will go in a 35 gallon Rubbermaid tote on the floor between the refer and the island when we travel; so pulling cables through the hole every time we make or break camp will be a pain in the arse.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Folks, he has a 320MKS.

Eddie,

It is a laminate top, over particle board. Use masking tape and a good hole saw from the top, slowly. Take your time and it will be fine. You can mount a drawer underneath pretty easily. I considered doing that, but then I'd have to run the 110 outlets down the wall, next to the refer. I'm not gonna take that kind of time. There are two 110 outlets on the left side of the desk along with 2 USB ports. There are two 110 outlets on the underside of the cabinets on the right side, along with the kitchen island light switch and the desk light switch.

Since I'll be working full time when we are full timing, I'll have my dual monitors set up on the desk with my mini PC. The printer will go on a roll cart (gotta find it first), under the desk and pulled out if I need it. I'll keep the shade behind the monitors drawn to keep the sun and heat of of them. Everything will go in a 35 gallon Rubbermaid tote on the floor between the refer and the island when we travel; so pulling cables through the hole every time we make or break camp will be a pain in the arse.

His signature says he has: 2021 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    His signature says he has: 2021 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    Actually, I think he traded that in on a 320MKS. There are several threads he started on the 320MKS. I have tried to answer his questions on the coach. I could very well be wrong. Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had ours, I used the masking and hole saw method. Ended up with very minor chips on bottom side, but not noticeable. Screws I predrilled, just to be safe.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Folks, he has a 320MKS.

Eddie,

Thanks Moon. It's been a while but I've finally gotten some time to look into this desk modification project again. I'm going to try what you said and drill the hole through the desk to mount the monitor stands on. I'll post some pictures when I'm done. I'm hoping to clean up the top of the desk to have some more working space and less clutter. Do you have any suggestion on where to mount 2 inseego boxes? I was thinking of just double side taping them to the back window and plugging them into the top right outlets, but thought I'd ask around first.

Also, do you winterize yours yourself?
    Ed & Kaitlin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Moon. It's been a while but I've finally gotten some time to look into this desk modification project again. I'm going to try what you said and drill the hole through the desk to mount the monitor stands on. I'll post some pictures when I'm done. I'm hoping to clean up the top of the desk to have some more working space and less clutter. Do you have any suggestion on where to mount 2 inseego boxes? I was thinking of just double side taping them to the back window and plugging them into the top right outlets, but thought I'd ask around first.

Also, do you winterize yours yourself?
    I'd be interested in seeing your finished result, for sure.

As for the WiFi hotspots, not in the window. Great is technologies enemy. Maybe the back wall?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk