Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator Better Than ONAN?

Greetings all,

Our new Momentum 351M is on order and we are on the horns of a dilemma. This would be our first RV that is prepped for generator. We are not sure if we have the manufacturer/dealer install the ONAN 5.5KW generator, at a cost of $5000, or do we wait and try to pick one up off the open market? Not sure if there are better ones out there, and the price seems to be a bit excessive.

We do have a Honda 2200i generator that works for current rig, and are thinking about using it on the 351M as well, although I know that it would not power very many things on the M, and would need to add a 2nd 2200 and run them together for amperage. That is, if they can be configured like the ONAN would be.

Still, I like the idea of the ONAN being installed as it would probably vent better than to 2 Honda's. But again, that $5K price tag is a bitter pill to swallow.

So, I guess my questions are; If you are running the ONAN generator on your rig, does work well for you? And, are there better, and less expensive, ones available for RVs?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Signed - A total RV generator newbie.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Greetings all,

Our new Momentum 351M is on order and we are on the horns of a dilemma. This would be our first RV that is prepped for generator. We are not sure if we have the manufacturer/dealer install the ONAN 5.5KW generator, at a cost of $5000, or do we wait and try to pick one up off the open market? Not sure if there are better ones out there, and the price seems to be a bit excessive.

We do have a Honda 2200i generator that works for current rig, and are thinking about using it on the 351M as well, although I know that it would not power very many things on the M, and would need to add a 2nd 2200 and run them together for amperage. That is, if they can be configured like the ONAN would be.

Still, I like the idea of the ONAN being installed as it would probably vent better than to 2 Honda's. But again, that $5K price tag is a bitter pill to swallow.

So, I guess my questions are; If you are running the ONAN generator on your rig, does work well for you? And, are there better, and less expensive, ones available for RVs?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Signed - A total RV generator newbie.
    I've been running 2 paralleled portables for the last few years. Our new unit is being built with the onboard Onan. Those are your choices. There aren't any other onboard permanently installed units available. (there is one but its a forest river exclusive and it doesn't sound like its even as good as the Onan). I am tired of dealing with the portables so we are spending the coin for the convenience of the on board. Others like working with the portables for their cost savings and they are more efficient.

Clear as mud?
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the convenience of being able to start the Onan Generator from inside the RV. Keep in mind that when ordering the RV with a generator, the discount you negotiate for the pricing also applies to the generator, which can help save $1000+
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I've been running 2 paralleled portables for the last few years. Our new unit is being built with the onboard Onan. Those are your choices. There aren't any other onboard permanently installed units available. (there is one but its a forest river exclusive and it doesn't sound like its even as good as the Onan). I am tired of dealing with the portables so we are spending the coin for the convenience of the on board. Others like working with the portables for their cost savings and they are more efficient.

Clear as mud?
    Thanks, JKellerJR. It makes sense. 'Tis a shame that ONAN does not have any competition to keep the cost down. I guess it comes down to how much we are willing to pay for convenience.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    I like the convenience of being able to start the Onan Generator from inside the RV. Keep in mind that when ordering the RV with a generator, the discount you negotiate for the pricing also applies to the generator, which can help save $1000+
    Thanks, alkbch. That convenience factor in and of itself may be the reason we go with the ONAN. Great tip on factoring the price into the deal.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Onan gives you approx 40 usable amps. It's also secure, quiet and has remote start. I would try to get one from the factory with the trailer.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    The Onan gives you approx 40 usable amps. It's also secure, quiet and has remote start. I would try to get one from the factory with the trailer.

Red
    Thanks, Red. All three of those items hit home very well.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding an Onan any time soon may be your issue, as there is a shortage in the market. GD removed their generator option back in March due to the shortage. Not sure if mine will have one when it shows up, or will have to add at a later date.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was lucky on my 320G that I ordered in early February with a generator, mine was delivered with the generator in May. I didn't think I would get it, as it was going to hit the production line after they ran out of existing stock. The dealer I used, promised that if I didn't get it, they would install it afterwards when they were back in stock for free.

While I was initially trailer shopping, I was seeing a lot of NPS generators installed. They have a Yamaha engine in them. I don't know much about them, but as far as the engine, Yamaha is pretty darn good.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Finding an Onan any time soon may be your issue, as there is a shortage in the market. GD removed their generator option back in March due to the shortage. Not sure if mine will have one when it shows up, or will have to add at a later date.
    Thanks, Brother Bluto. I checked the Grand Design website this weekend and they still had it listed as an option. So, maybe that is a good sign. I called my dealer right after and told him to add it to the order, and he didn't say anything about it not being available.

We'll have to wait and see how it turns out.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast