User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MidwestCamper,

I didn't experience any floor contact that I am aware of. If by "right" side you mean the appliance side, then yes they did measure out a bit flatter than the slide side. When my original axles bent after 5,000 miles they were replaced with 5,200 lb axles machined down to accept the original wheels/tires to eliminate the weak axle problem. 3,500 lb springs came with the axles (dexter warranty) I went with them hoping these springs would be better than the originals, they weren't.

I am planning on going to 6 leaf springs for a 4,500 lb axle. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus...SP-256275.html My thinking is the extra leafs will give me a bit of extra height, and the heavier springs are less likely to sag. I'm hoping the CRE3000 will help with the stiffness of the springs and not jar the camper to death. I know many 5vers have over sprung their campers with no problems, but haven't found an Imagine owner who has done it, I'm sure they have, I just haven't run across it yet. Would love to hear from someone who has though.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    Reese Straight Line Dual Cam
    2005 Yukon XL Denali
    I live where you want to be...except in the winter!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaJohn View Post
    MidwestCamper,

I didn't experience any floor contact that I am aware of. If by "right" side you mean the appliance side, then yes they did measure out a bit flatter than the slide side. When my original axles bent after 5,000 miles they were replaced with 5,200 lb axles machined down to accept the original wheels/tires to eliminate the weak axle problem. 3,500 lb springs came with the axles (dexter warranty) I went with them hoping these springs would be better than the originals, they weren't.

I am planning on going to 6 leaf springs for a 4,500 lb axle. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus...SP-256275.html My thinking is the extra leafs will give me a bit of extra height, and the heavier springs are less likely to sag. I'm hoping the CRE3000 will help with the stiffness of the springs and not jar the camper to death. I know many 5vers have over sprung their campers with no problems, but haven't found an Imagine owner who has done it, I'm sure they have, I just haven't run across it yet. Would love to hear from someone who has though.
    AlaskaJohn,
    I raised my rig by one inch with spring blocks as shown. Did GD approve the heavier axles? I've not bent an axle but the GD phone tech told me the Imagine frame would not handle the heavier spring. If I bend another on the heavier right side, I will install a 2000 lb spring on the right. Rob from "Cate and Rob" has done a great deal of work on this approach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Axle_Leaf_Springs_Component.pdf   2600RB 1 inch lift with new U bolts and CRE3000.jpg  
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaJohn View Post
    I recently had my axles and springs replaced due to bent axles and flat springs, this was after 1 trip from Missouri to Alaska. From day 1 of the new springs I felt they were already just as flat as the ones they replaced. I imagine I will be replacing springs again soon, and I will at least be using 2,000 lb springs instead of the 1,750's installed currently. Does anyone else with a 2600rb feel their springs are flat?

Kevinpo...what model Moryde CRE3000 did you install on your camper?
    My 2400BH definitely has “flat” spring but on the slide side (drivers’). Noticed this on first trip and have an appointment at dealer in about a week to check this and also fix a slide issue. Dealer said spring issues have to go to another company, because they don’t touch them! They will however determine if they are bad. Surprising to me, but that is what they told me.
    ~Patrick

2018 Imagine 2400BH
    2016 GMC Yukon XL

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys,

I would be interested if Grand Design is approving a higher capacity axle or springs for the 2600RB. Most if not all the time, a phone tech is not permitted to provide approval for any upgrades. If you have been speaking with engineering who is approving upgrades I would be interested in what they are doing/approving since my 2600RB currently sits 1/4 inch lower on the right side, and its not fully loaded. This is with all new OEM springs. I will be monitoring the performance on my rig to see if the right side springs yield where a long term solution would need to be implemented. With the riser blocks I've installed, floor contact is extremely unlikely where I am planning on installing bump stops to prevent overtravel.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did get my axles replaced under warranty. Not GD though, I went through Dexter and they were extremely helpful. They did not call it "warranty", but "customer concession", in fact, here is the email quote from Dexter: "When Dexter agrees or offers to supply a replacement axle or parts to a customer as a “customer concession” this is being done strictly as a goodwill gesture. Customer concessions are not intended to convey or construe this action as warranty."

What they did for me was they made custom 3" axle shafts (5,200lb) that accept our 5x4.5 wheels and brakes (3,500lb). The axles are labeled as 3,500 lb axles, but have the stronger/larger shaft to prevent future bending of the axles. They custom make every axle anyway so it isn't a big deal for them to make axles this way. I spoke with Dexter about supplying all their trailer axles this way and they said GD would have to request it, but the cost difference is very minor.

This is who I went through to get the work done, extremely nice and helpful lady.

Connie Massie / Warranty Administrator
    Dexter Axle Company - Corporate Headquarters
    [email protected] . Direct Tel: (574) 296-7301
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2005 Yukon XL Denali

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve gotta 2018 too. Is this something we should all look at? If this is a universal problem, is GD looking into a permanent fix for all of us? I’m new to all this and frankly, it’s a bit nerve wracking!
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
    I’ve gotta 2018 too. Is this something we should all look at? If this is a universal problem, is GD looking into a permanent fix for all of us? I’m new to all this and frankly, it’s a bit nerve wracking!
    I noticed that the Grand Design website is now listing 4,400-lb. rated axles for the Imagine 2600RB. Did they used to put 3,500-lb. rated axles on this model? Maybe Grand Design has figured out the fix that VinceB is asking about, and they've applied it to the new model year?

Our 2018 Imagine 2800BH has 3,500-lb. axles and now the Grand Design website lists 4,400-lb. axles for this model too. Interestingly, although the rating of the two axles has increased by 1,800-lb. the GVWR of the trailer has only increased by 500-lb. (ours is 7,495-lb.; website now lists 7,995-lbs.)

Did Grand Design make this change because they've realized that the springs on the 3,500-lb. axles are not up to the task of carrying these trailers?

Should those of us with 3,500-lb. axles be trying to figure out how to swap out for 4,400-lb. axles, or at least the higher-rated springs?
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just st measured my tire to frame distance today and found that I only have a 3” clearance. I also have evidence of tire contact. I can fix a lot of stuff, but this seems to be out of my league. With all of the info presented, I’m not sure what the next course of action should be, or who I should talk to first.
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropped mine off Tuesday, Jul. 31 and will let everyone know what they do. My axles seem okay, but.my springs are definitely flat! Maybe I should ask about the axles too if this will end up being a future issue. Hate to have to deal with it out of warranty later!
    ~Patrick

2018 Imagine 2400BH
    2016 GMC Yukon XL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit chapped that the 2019 2600RB has 4400 lb axles. Actually I'm chapped that my 2018 did not, the 2018 version of the Winnebago 2600RB had 4400 lb axles and I wanted it, but it didn't come with heated recliners...the wife won that battle.

My axle issues are resolved, but I still need to upgrade those flat springs. When a brand new 3500 lb spring looks flat on day 1 of install, that's a problem. My trailer is empty minus sheets, pillows and what not, there's no way I'm overloaded as it sits.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2005 Yukon XL Denali

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast