Thread: 2800BH Changes?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2800BH Changes?

Hello
    We are new to GD and after looking at trying out different brands and models, we decided to go with GD 2800BH. We like the space, layout and bunks are a must for kids.
    We are going to go with a use model and are looking at 2017 and 2018 that are available through either private sellers or dealers.
    For those that know and have experience with that model, can you tell if:
    1. Are there any differences between those 2 model years?
    2. Is there anything specific that we should be looking at when buying one?
    3. Any common problems?
    4. Most of them are single AC - we will be mainly camping in SC, NC TN area during summer so I believe since AC should handle it? Also, I'm leaning towards single AC to keep it at 30amp...
    5. Any other first time buyer advice will be greatly appreciated

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czego82 View Post
    Hello
    We are new to GD and after looking at trying out different brands and models, we decided to go with GD 2800BH. We like the space, layout and bunks are a must for kids.
    We are going to go with a use model and are looking at 2017 and 2018 that are available through either private sellers or dealers.
    For those that know and have experience with that model, can you tell if:
    1. Are there any differences between those 2 model years?
    2. Is there anything specific that we should be looking at when buying one?
    3. Any common problems?
    4. Most of them are single AC - we will be mainly camping in SC, NC TN area during summer so I believe since AC should handle it? Also, I'm leaning towards single AC to keep it at 30amp...
    5. Any other first time buyer advice will be greatly appreciated
    Regarding differences between 2017 and 2018 model years, there probably are a few but also some changes may have occurred mid-year as well. Sometime between early 2017 and late 2018 model years I think the Imagine 2800BH gained a 2nd entry door at the front bedroom, switched from Lippert axles to Dexter axles, and changed from Schwintek to a regular electric through-frame slide mechanism.

When checking over your potential new trailer, look for adequate clearance between the top of the tires and the underside of the trailer, or look for evidence that tires have rubbed the underside of the floor - reference a search of this forum for reports of "flat springs" or "tires rubbing".

Also check for uneven wear on one or more tires. A worn inside edge of the tire could be a sign of a bent spindle, which has been reported a few times on this forum (including ourselves).

A look around up on the edges of the roof might give you some insight into whether sealant has been maintained or neglected.

We're in southeast too and the single A/C has been adequate for us while camping in Florida, Georgia and Alabama.

Good luck shopping for your travel trailer!
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a new 2020 2800bh. We only had it out once before winterizing but are happy with it so far.
    Others can verify the date but I do know that the 2019 and 2020 axles were upgraded from 3500lb to 4400lb. I'm not sure about the '18s but I'm pretty sure the '17 would have the lighter axle.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Regarding differences between 2017 and 2018 model years, there probably are a few but also some changes may have occurred mid-year as well. Sometime between early 2017 and late 2018 model years I think the Imagine 2800BH gained a 2nd entry door at the front bedroom, switched from Lippert axles to Dexter axles, and changed from Schwintek to a regular electric through-frame slide mechanism.

When checking over your potential new trailer, look for adequate clearance between the top of the tires and the underside of the trailer, or look for evidence that tires have rubbed the underside of the floor - reference a search of this forum for reports of "flat springs" or "tires rubbing".

Also check for uneven wear on one or more tires. A worn inside edge of the tire could be a sign of a bent spindle, which has been reported a few times on this forum (including ourselves).

A look around up on the edges of the roof might give you some insight into whether sealant has been maintained or neglected.

We're in southeast too and the single A/C has been adequate for us while camping in Florida, Georgia and Alabama.

Good luck shopping for your travel trailer!
    Thank you
    Is there any difference between those 2 axles? I figured my main option to get is 4 season pkg. If it has base axles, I would swap them out for 5k axle with disc brakes.
    Also, any thoughts on Schwintek? Why did they get rid of it?
    Thank you for reply

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide you need 2 ac units, you will need to look at a 2019. We have a 2018 and it was only available with a single unit and 30 amp.
    We bought ours in the fall of 2017 and have had only minimal issues since.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you
    I actually rather have single unit with 30amp as most older campgrounds have 30amp hookup

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One option for a single AC unit trailer would be to have ceramic tint applied to the windows, it would greatly reduce the solar heat gain. Happy hunting!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czego82 View Post
    Thank you
    Is there any difference between those 2 axles? I figured my main option to get is 4 season pkg. If it has base axles, I would swap them out for 5k axle with disc brakes.
    Also, any thoughts on Schwintek? Why did they get rid of it?
    Thank you for reply
    I'm not up to speed on all the differences between Lippert and Dexter axles. Lippert axles on the 2017 model year and Dexter axles on the 2018 model year 2800BH were both rated at 3,500-lb. per axle. As @Nrbsrsr noted, 2019 model year changed to Dexter 4,400-lb. axles. The change from Lippert to Dexter came a little while after some heavier-rated Lippert axles experienced problems with bearing seals that allowed grease to migrate into the brake drums - but I don't think the Lippert 3,500-lb. axles experienced that problem. The original Dexter axles on our trailer had 2-3/8"-dia. axle tubes. After we experienced bent spindles on one of the axles, Dexter provided a pair of replacement 3,500-lb. axles with 3"-dia. axle tubes at no cost (we're pleased with that customer service from Dexter - Grand Design didn't offer any help since we were a couple months past the 1 year base warranty period).

I don't think the Four Season Protection Package is an option; I think every Imagine rolls out of the factory with that package included. When we ordered our 2800BH the only available option was tri-fold sofa vs. theater seats.

I don't have any experience with the Schwintek slide mechanism. My assumption is that a conventional through-frame slide mechanism is suitable for heavier slides.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a Schwintek slide on my 2013 Keystone and I haven't had any problems. It is a small slide with just a couch. My understanding is that Schwintek can run into problems on larger, heavier slides.
    My 2800bh did come with 50 amp which is of little use to us as we mostly dry camp but it also came with a couple dogbone converters so I can run off 20 or 30 amp service on my generator. The 50 amp cord that came with the camper is a beast which has been relegated to a decoration in the celar. I bought a 30 amp cord which I use on 20 or 30 amp service with the dogbne.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH