Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with Slides not leveling

I have a 2014 303RLS which I just recently purchased used and have had all of the slides out to stock with our personal items and the kids had been visiting and staying in it so they have been out about 3 weeks. To get around the sides and do some work around the unit I moved the slides in about a foot each for about 3 days. We now notice that the floor is bulged and although the slides go out okay when closed they are angled and the bottom comes in all of the way but the top is short of closing from 2-6 inches and the floor is still bulged whether the slides are in or out,

As anyone every experienced this or know what it is? It almost seems like while the slides were part way in that they warped the floor somehow. I pray I didn't do too much damage.

David

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Best Papa - David - I have heard of some floors warping over the years. Whether it was attributable to what you did, I do not recall any postings like that. It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the slide(s) and the floor. Laying a long straight edge on the floor in various locations to show the floor warping may yield some clues too.

@WhittleBurner - Gary & Marcy had floor issues as I recall but do not recall the details. Hopefully they will chime in on this. We have not had any floor or slide issues but I have not done what you described either.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our floor issue was very different. We had a drop off, downward slope on the kitchen slide side.
    When bringing the slides in they do angle slightly but once all in it levels off.

Is it possible you warped the flooring, what was the temp when this happened? Try a heat gun and gently warm it to see if it levels back down to the wood. If it is the wood that warped or got out of shape I'd suggest to look for water damage.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No,
    the temps have been mild. It was directly because the slides were part way in for a few days. I"t like the slides hung at an angle and warped the bottom of the floor and the entire kitchen island is off at an angle. When the slides are moved in they come in at an angle and don't close at the top and only the bottom. There's a 2"-6" gap at the top of the slide depending on the side. Where we live now gets hot in the summer but where we purchased it is temperate with no extreme temperatures or great swings. And every thing was fine a couple of days ago.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out what the issue is and I feel a little stupid but don't know how to go forward. We were planning on taking it out for our first trip and I plugged in the hose to fill the tank and must have had the fill switch in the incorrect position as I found out that the floor was bowed because the water tank was over filling with the pressure of the hose which was causing the floor to bow. As soon as I shut off the water and pulled the drain the floor returned to normal and the slides work fine. My question now is how do I know when to shut off the fill. Also under the unit i can see that the water tank in bowed down a bit from the pressure but not unsafe to drive.

Besides paying more attention, any advice?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What really confuses me is that there should be some sort of shut of valve or something when the water tank is full so that this doesn't happen. When I turn back on the city water will it continue to bow now?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Papa View Post
    ..... My question now is how do I know when to shut off the fill. Also under the unit i can see that the water tank in bowed down a bit from the pressure but not unsafe to drive.

I do not know the Reflection line of trailer, so this may not apply. There should be a a 1/2" PEX (probably blue) pipe hanging down under the trailer near the fresh water dump valve. The end will be open. This is the overflow. Check and make sure there is not a cap or valve on the end. Some trailers have problems with water siphoning out the tank when they are driving and people cap this vent pipe to prevent the siphoning. This pipe needs to be open to vent air out when the tank is filled (this is your problem) and to let air back in when drawing water out of the tank. Note: This is separate from the (typically) red and blue pair of pipes for the low point drains near the docking station (used for winterizing/draining the water system).

As for filling the tank, I make sure I have a low pressure (I use a pressure regulator set to 45 PSI) supply and fill it until water just starts coming out the overflow (I watch it) then turn off the supply. I also have a cheap ($15? from Amazon) water volume (gallons) meter that fits in line with the water hose. I have measured how much it takes to fill my fresh water tank from empty and use the gauge to tell me when I am partly full (say I only want 30 gallons) or when I am getting close to full. There is no automatic shutoff valve in the tank. You have to stop filling it ore it will overflow.

One question, what year is your trailer? It is very helpful if you add a signature with that information. Or more specifically do you have the Nautilus or the Kantleak docking station? Others may give you more guidance but I have heard the O-ring (seals) can go out on the older Kantleak valves. I do know you should not change valve setting on the Nautilus what their is water pressure in the system or you can dislodge the seals. I wounder if you have a problem with water filling (and pressurizing the tank) when you only want it to supply the fixtures in the trailer.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 04-02-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a double pressure valve. One on the 5th wheel fill line and I have one on my hose at the faucet. And I was filling it at my home and I have a new pressure valve there as well. I don't know what it was that must have popped to cause this i'm hoping that it was just a fitting that came loose to expand everything. Has anybody ever gotten under a Reflection 303 to work on the plumbing fittings? My son's a plumber but lives in AZ but I believe the issue will be to find out where the issue is.

It was like I was trying to fill the tank for dry camping and it kept filling and expanding the tank???

Lots of work ahead of me.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cochris is right GD puts a drain hose on the fresh water tanks when the get full you will see water running out behind the drivers side rear tire. What I have read on this forum is of people having water siphon out of their tanks when driving. Thus losing most of their water when they get to the campground. What some people started doing was putting a valve at the end of the overfill hose. If you have a valve somewhere to restrict the water from coming out when filling you would end up with a problem like you described.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Papa View Post
    I found out what the issue is and I feel a little stupid but don't know how to go forward. We were planning on taking it out for our first trip and I plugged in the hose to fill the tank and must have had the fill switch in the incorrect position as I found out that the floor was bowed because the water tank was over filling with the pressure of the hose which was causing the floor to bow. As soon as I shut off the water and pulled the drain the floor returned to normal and the slides work fine. My question now is how do I know when to shut off the fill. Also under the unit i can see that the water tank in bowed down a bit from the pressure but not unsafe to drive.

You said you "pulled the drain"......is that referencing the white handle fresh water tank dump 2" tube behind the rear street side axle ? If so, the fresh water tank vent tube (blue pex tube extending just below the corroplast a few inches or so) as others have mentioned is located just inches from that. Is that what you see or have or is it differenet and if so in what way ?

Here is a thread with what the fresh water tank drain and vent tube looks like. This link also shows a picture of a 303 fresh water tank mount location over the rear axle with the blue vent tube extending a few inches above the tank.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...=overflow+blue

Also, what is the "double pressure valve" you mention in your post #8 ?

It sounds like your fresh tank is not venting due to prior owner modification somewhere or the Kantleak panel may have a valve malfunction. We can cover this later if necessary.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast