User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone replaced their fireplace with something else?

It appears to be a standard feature, but we don't want it (looking to purchase a reflection 311bhs in a few months). I googled around a bit, and nothing concrete surfaced, but has anyone deleted it in favor of more storage? Or is it possible to custom order without it? Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigmshift View Post
    It appears to be a standard feature, but we don't want it (looking to purchase a reflection 311bhs in a few months). I googled around a bit, and nothing concrete surfaced, but has anyone deleted it in favor of more storage? Or is it possible to custom order without it? Thanks!
    You will want it. You think you won't use it, but you will. Cool mornings and nights it comes in handy. You will save propane by using in conjunction with your furnace. We camp in the early spring and fall and use it a lot. Its a nice backup if something goes wrong with your furnace. Give it a chance. With that being said, I don't think you can do custom orders through Grand Design. Here is a link i think you should read.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...al-108887.html

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use fireplace instead of furnace whenever possible; saves money and is quieter.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use ours all the time (in fact, just used it for a bit this morning, 8 June, at Aberdeen Proving Ground to knock the chill off). So, I agree with those above who say it's very useful. That said, I've seen posts about people putting cabinet doors on that opening and making storage space. It wouldn't be useful in our rig, since the fireplace is quite shallow and the TV retracts into the cabinet right behind it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    We use fireplace instead of furnace whenever possible; saves money and is quieter.
    Ditto.

When we first saw it we thought it was the strangest thing to have in an RV. Now we wouldn't want to have an RV without one.

And I know that a portable space heater does essentially the same thing, but having it built-in is really convenient.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fireplace is very handy. Just doesn’t seem like it until you’ve used it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you own it, you may do anything with it that you want to.

Grand Design will not do anything custom for you, or delete it at the factory.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

You may have well-considered reasons for deciding you don't want the fireplace, but I'll add to the chorus here - we use ours VERY frequently when temps are cool.

You don't mention which trailer you have; it's always a good idea to include that information. **

On our 310GK the main TV drops on a "televator" in behind the not-very-deep fireplace, so we would not gain much storage space if we decided to remove the fireplace. Not unless we also removed the televator and fixed the TV up on top of the cabinet - that would permit creation of a sizable storage cupboard. However there's a window behind the raised TV that we would not want blocked full-time so that wouldn't be our choice, and I'd be conscious that any weight added to new storage there is (in our trailer) weight added to the slide that already contains the fridge, stove, drawers, and other weight.

We have lived in our trailer for up to five months at a time and have scads of storage to spare. Not scolding, just sayin', if you're desperate for storage you might look at how much you need all that stuff you're trying to store.

Good luck with your choices.

** A couple of tips for using the forum:

- create a "signature" that automatically appears at the bottom of every post you create; my signature is at the bottom of this one. To create yours, click on Settings at the top right, then Edit Signature on the left side of the resulting page. Include at LEAST the trailer you have, if not also name and other information.

- when you're replying to anyone or commenting on their post, use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom left corner of the post you're replying to / commenting on. It's text will be embedded in your post (as your text appears above mine here) and the creator of the other post will get an automatic notification that you have responded to their post.
    Last edited by boyscout; 06-08-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies! It was late and we had just gotten back from our first camping trip with our first infant, so I was pretty exhausted. I'll do a signature and all of that when its more appropriate to, as we don't actually have possession of a trailer yet. But we are getting a GD Reflection 311BHS, sometime near December.

On to my post, the infant is the reason for wanting to delete the fireplace. Its right at her level, and I'd like to give her freedom to roam without being a helicopter parent as much as feasible, and I can't with a heat source right at her face level. And she's the first of 3 planned. So call the desire for deleting, baby proofing.

Its good to know GD doesn't do any custom work too. I'm planning a full solar setup as well, for future boondocking.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good to know GD doesn't do any custom work too. I'm planning a full solar setup as well, for future boondocking.
    Keep your eyes on the horizon....there may be a solar package for Reflection and Imagine coming soon.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast