Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flush Water Heater Valve Settings

Hi All,

We have a 2016 317 RST with Nautilus valves. I want to flush my water heater. Not a problem. But I've read that it's recommended to fill the heater tank with a vinegar solution after flushing, heat it up, then drain it again. There's my problem. I've looked at the flow diagram and can't figure out the proper valve configuration which allows me to suck vinegar from a bucket directly into the water heater without putting it into the fresh water tank. Can anyone tell me the correct configuration or if it's even possible? Thanks.
    Dan & Ruth
    2016 Ram 3500, 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, AISIN, 3.42 Gears, Factory Air Bags, B&W RVK3600
    2016 317RST

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McIntraveler View Post
    Hi All,

We have a 2016 317 RST with Nautilus valves. I want to flush my water heater. Not a problem. But I've read that it's recommended to fill the heater tank with a vinegar solution after flushing, heat it up, then drain it again. There's my problem. I've looked at the flow diagram and can't figure out the proper valve configuration which allows me to suck vinegar from a bucket directly into the water heater without putting it into the fresh water tank. Can anyone tell me the correct configuration or if it's even possible? Thanks.
    One of the members at this website did a rough configuration of the Nautilus, see here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1luyitgh2...grams.pdf?dl=0

Did you ever find out how to do this? We want to do the same thing with our Atwood Water Heater, but were looking at the heater itself and did not think of considering through the Nautilus. All we see is the plastic drain valve area, which is too low, and tnp valve.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The setting for Sanitize will draw fluid into the intake (same place you put the hose from city water). You will want a short piece of hose for this purpose because it will be dipped into the bucket and both inside and outside of hose will be subjected to the fluid and drawn into your fresh water tank!!! Sometimes, you may need to lift up the bucket so it does not have a far to draw the fluid up. I made a 4ft hose from clear material and put my own end on it for the intake threads so I can see the fluid draw up the hose.

This does not fill your hot water tank... it fills your fresh water tank. Once you have maybe 10 gallons of "stuff" in your fresh water tank, then set up for dry camping. Run the pump and open only the Hot valve on the external hose and that should fill your hot water heater.

A very nice video is out there on a couple of these features:

https://youtu.be/Gccxlk_GcKY

A good clean out once a year is a good idea.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    The setting for Sanitize will draw fluid into the intake (same place you put the hose from city water). You will want a short piece of hose for this purpose because it will be dipped into the bucket and both inside and outside of hose will be subjected to the fluid and drawn into your fresh water tank!!! Sometimes, you may need to lift up the bucket so it does not have a far to draw the fluid up. I made a 4ft hose from clear material and put my own end on it for the intake threads so I can see the fluid draw up the hose.

This does not fill your hot water tank... it fills your fresh water tank. Once you have maybe 10 gallons of "stuff" in your fresh water tank, then set up for dry camping. Run the pump and open only the Hot valve on the external hose and that should fill your hot water heater.

Thank you for responding. Regarding "open only the Hot valve on the external hose" not sure what you mean. What "external hose" are you referring to? And re the "hot valve" are you talking about the red valve on the Nautilus System?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disregard my post about not understanding...I just spoke to a Nautilus P1 rep and he explained to me about the panel and what the "hot valve on the external hose" is...And THANK YOU so much for responding to my post...will have to give this a try!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Nautilus System, there is a connector for a blue coil hose with sprayer (came with camper). This is a very important tool in the system. For this example, you can turn on the pump and spray some hot water out of the system which will move the cleaning solution from the fresh tank into the water heater.

Let me remind everyone that you don't want to change the valves with too much pressure in the system. It is a great place to shut off the city water (I like to have a small valve in my hose between the city water source and the trailer), use the blue coil hose to release some pressure from the entire system... then you can move those valves all you want. Always move them slowly as a general rule.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Nautilus System, there is a connector for a blue coil hose with sprayer (came with camper). This is a very important tool in the system. For this example, you can turn on the pump and spray some hot water out of the system which will move the cleaning solution from the fresh tank into the water heater.

Let me remind everyone that you don't want to change the valves with too much pressure in the system. It is a great place to shut off the city water (I like to have a small valve in my hose between the city water source and the trailer), use the blue coil hose to release some pressure from the entire system... then you can move those valves all you want. Always move them slowly as a general rule.
    I do not have a blue coil hose with sprayer. Does this attach to the external hose (galvenized piping?), at the top of the Nautilus system, between the hot and cold valves? Meant for an outdoor shower? Attaching a photo - don't know the photo is sideways. If you can send a photo of the blue coil hose and where it attaches would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nautilus .jpg  

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, that is the one. at the top, two handles, looks like a bathroom faucet. That center silver pipe is a quick connect. My camper came from GD with a blue hose and a sprayer. I guess you could call this the "outdoor shower", I find it nice to tap the pressure and spray off gear before putting it away.

My trailer is in storage in a snow bank. Here is a video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4xfcXeccU
    look at about 1:30 at the hose attachment. picture of sprayer at 5:38

This video is really good. It shows how you might hook up a bucket with cleaner and draw the fluid into the system.

I hope you can find your original hose. I don't know what connector that quick connect uses.

Juiceman

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Testing to understand what responding with "multiple quotes" vs. "Reply With Quote" does in a thread.