User Tag List

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

satillite on top

I currently own a Jayco but am in the process of purchasing a Momentum 395m and I wanted to put a satillite dish on top and the ones I'm looking at are 14 inches tall and is in a plastic dome. with the rig being 13.5 tall already I most certainly don't want to have a dish stick up above the ac units. can anybody tell me how high the ac units are on top of their momentum? I've seen many newer rigs with a lower profile AC unit on top but I don't have access to one to get a good measurment, thanks for any help on this

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the AC height, But I am going with a Wingard Traveler anyway. When it is stowed it is lower than any AC.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I don't know the AC height, But I am going with a Wingard Traveler anyway. When it is stowed it is lower than any AC.
    I have the Trav'ler on my 395. So nice to just push a button and walk away. It's really the only automatic option for HD on DirecTV as well. I had the portable before (think it was a Quest) on my last camper and when I toted it up to the roof, it was taller than the standard AC shrouds. I have standard AC's on mine now and I'm sure the portable would be a little taller than those as well.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdaddy View Post
    I currently own a Jayco but am in the process of purchasing a Momentum 395m and I wanted to put a satillite dish on top and the ones I'm looking at are 14 inches tall and is in a plastic dome. with the rig being 13.5 tall already I most certainly don't want to have a dish stick up above the ac units. can anybody tell me how high the ac units are on top of their momentum? I've seen many newer rigs with a lower profile AC unit on top but I don't have access to one to get a good measurment, thanks for any help on this
    Just curious, but why satellite at all? You heading really remote? If not, why not just use Internet TV (I use Youtube TV, there are lots that are good though)? I used to have and love DirecTV, but, with the age of streaming TV on the Internet, I haven't used my sat in years, and, for an RV, those things are expensive, you can buy a lot of data for what the dish costs! Now, that said, if you're heading into the boonies and there's no Internet available, that's a different story, but I often wonder, parked at campsites and seeing dishes setup, "why"?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out here in the west, there are alot of places there is no cell service.
    I have a Dish tailgater, and a tripod.
    Trees may block the view, and its easier to just find a hole, set the tripod, put the bubble on it, connect, and let it do it's thing.
    Dish can be turned on by the month with no contract.
    2017 Momentum 376th
    2000 Volvo 610 DD 12.7L Eaton 10 speed

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two cents worth:
    @Overtaxed wrote: "... but I often wonder, parked at campsites and seeing dishes setup, "why"?" Because we do go to places without 4G cell service and satellite TV is the only option. Since we already have a setup that works well, that's what we use when we're in a location that does have good a 4G LTE signal, too.

@huntindog wrote: "... But I am going with a Wingard [Winegard] Traveler [Trav'ler] anyway. When it is stowed it is lower than any AC." This is true. If we were to want a roof-mounted system, this is the one we would get. The two problems being that 1) we often get a site (like where we are for the summer) where trees would block a roof-mounted antenna. The carry-out style antenna allows us to find a hole and get the satellites; and 2) the Trav'ler for Dish is only a western arc antenna. (It can be converted to eastern arc, but it's an involved process.) This means that you can't get HD locals - and in some cases - no locals at all in the east.

Finally, reading industry news, I'm not sure how much longer DirecTV is going to be around - and Dish is infinitely easier to change locals as we move around. I just use the MyDish phone app and it takes a minute or two.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    My two cents worth:
    @Overtaxed wrote: "... but I often wonder, parked at campsites and seeing dishes setup, "why"?" Because we do go to places without 4G cell service and satellite TV is the only option. Since we already have a setup that works well, that's what we use when we're in a location that does have good a 4G LTE signal, too.

@huntindog wrote: "... But I am going with a Wingard [Winegard] Traveler [Trav'ler] anyway. When it is stowed it is lower than any AC." This is true. If we were to want a roof-mounted system, this is the one we would get. The two problems being that 1) we often get a site (like where we are for the summer) where trees would block a roof-mounted antenna. The carry-out style antenna allows us to find a hole and get the satellites; and 2) the Trav'ler for Dish is only a western arc antenna. (It can be converted to eastern arc, but it's an involved process.) This means that you can't get HD locals - and in some cases - no locals at all in the east.

Finally, reading industry news, I'm not sure how much longer DirecTV is going to be around - and Dish is infinitely easier to change locals as we move around. I just use the MyDish phone app and it takes a minute or two.

Rob
    Thanks for the feedback, I purchased the tailgater pro for Dish and will not be mounting it to my roof, I talked to a lot of folks at campgrounds and most have them mounted on the front part of the roof and yes they do have many times when no signal is available because of the little tree on the lot and those that keep them loose on a cable just move it around to a clear spot and this seems the best way for me also, its a little more work but not that much. I also have a visible phone with unlimited data for internet or firestick and i have been in many many places with no cell signal (hence the dish) i pay a total of $92 a month for both and neither have a contract so if I'm staying some place for a month with no cell service I just turn off my visible service or if there's good service I turn off the dish so i average about $45 monthly. we are full timers so this process is ongoing, but works real good right now.
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do the rabbit ears. If there is something there we might turn it on for a few minutes when we go in. If nothing is there so be it. We spend most of our time outside anyways.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/