Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sulfur smell only from cold water on kitchen sink

Hello fellow campers,

I have a issue with a sulfur smell coming from my kitchen sink. The weird part is i only get it from the when i turn the cold water on. I don't smell anything when i turn the hot water on or from my bathroom shower or sink. I tried replacing the water filter but still getting the same thing. i am on a camp ground that has city water and i have been here for months. Any advice?
    Cory

2017 imagine 2650Rk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try turning your water heater off and draining the hot water via the shower so you get cold out of both faucets. See what happens then.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A point of use carbon filter on the cold side might help. Hard to say without a water test. Water chemistry is a funny thing. Hot or warm water has less dissolved O2 in it so that may be why you don’t notice it on hot side or shower. Aerators in faucets can affect the smell as well. Try removing the aerator from the faucet and see if it makes a difference.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, the Sulfur smell coming out of faucets is associated with hot water and not cold water.

If this is coming from your kitchen sink, perhaps you are experiencing an issue with the air trap in your drain line instead of from the water itself.

Try not running the water into the sink, but instead, run the water directly into a large pitcher or small bucket and smell the water. Next run the water into the sink and check for the Sulfur smell there. If the bucket water does not stink, but the sink water stinks, you probably have a problem with the vent underneath the sink (assuming you don't have a traditional "P" trap). Replace the vent and your problem will (most likely) be fixed.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Generally speaking, the Sulfur smell coming out of faucets is associated with hot water and not cold water.

If this is coming from your kitchen sink, perhaps you are experiencing an issue with the air trap in your drain line instead of from the water itself.

Try not running the water into the sink, but instead, run the water directly into a large pitcher or small bucket and smell the water. Next run the water into the sink and check for the Sulfur smell there. If the bucket water does not stink, but the sink water stinks, you probably have a problem with the vent underneath the sink (assuming you don't have a traditional "P" trap). Replace the vent and your problem will (most likely) be fixed.
    If that's what's happening, you just need one of these for $6.94 at Home Depot. Just look under the sink, unscrew the old one and screw on the new one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-...9012/100204205

2020 Reflection 295RL - F-250 6.7L Powerstroke
    - Neil

2020 Reflection 295RL
    2019 Ford F250 XLT 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nswinton View Post
    If that's what's happening, you just need one of these for $6.94 at Home Depot. Just look under the sink, unscrew the old one and screw on the new one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-...9012/100204205
    Some people think that replacing the junk AAV valve that Grand Design installs with another junk AAV valve is asking for trouble.

The one below has been installed by many people here, and apparently elsewhere since it's a "Bestseller" at Home Depot. For about $20 more people can avoid having the AAV failure problem repeat itself sooner rather than later.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...0341/202275238

Is it clear though that the problem @Corydon is having *IS* caused by the AAV? To me it doesn't sound as though that's his problem (although replacing the valve is not a bad idea to head off future trouble).

A failed AAV valve would give sewer smells originating in the cabinet under the sink, and they'd be evident whether it was hot or cold water running down the drain. However his report is sulphur smells in the water, and only the cold water. He's got good advice already from @jkwilson about starting to investigate that.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could possibly be your problem. Google My cold water smells like rotten eggs:
    Sulfate-reducing bacteria (SRB) cause cold water to smell like rotten eggs. The bacteria thrive in poorly aerated plumbing and corrode metal parts. And naturally occurring sulfates fuel the bacteria. You'll smell SRB if your water hasn't run for a few hours.
    Chip

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Hello fellow campers,

I have a issue with a sulfur smell coming from my kitchen sink. The weird part is i only get it from the when i turn the cold water on. I don't smell anything when i turn the hot water on or from my bathroom shower or sink. I tried replacing the water filter but still getting the same thing. i am on a camp ground that has city water and i have been here for months. Any advice?
    Cory - we experienced this in our first outing this year over the 4th of July Holiday week plus this spring. We sanitized the system as recommended in our owners manual and all gtg since then.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Hello fellow campers,

I had the exact same issue. Tried everything I could find on the internet. The only solution was to drain the hot water tank(turn off electric and gas switches and run your hot water until it comes out cold). If your tank is already cold then this won’t be an issue. Also, make sure you open the relief valve to release any pressure and to help speed up the draining process.
    Next, spray out the hot water tank with a tank/water wand. I then filled the Hot water tank tank with at least a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Turn on your hot water tank and let it sit for a minimum of 12 hours, 24 if you can. Then drain the tank and wash it out again. This didn’t work 100% for me my first attempt so then I did it again. The second time, I also followed up with a mixture of bleach and water and ran it thru all my lines and holding tank and let it sit for about 6 hours. I did not put the bleach and water mixture in my hot water heater. I then flushed my tank and lines. I also probably used too much bleach but I really flushed everything out thoroughly.
    This procedure completely killed the bacteria and odor. It’s been a couple of months now and the issue has not come back.

The reason you are probably getting this is a high iron content in your water supply. Your probably using well water. It’s just something you are going to have to get used to and you will probably have to repeat this process once or twice a year. Once you do it a couple of times it will become a habit and not a big deal any longer so all I can say is welcome to the joys of owning a RV.

I wish you success, happiness and a clean smelling kitchen faucet.
    Last edited by Gainestr; 08-25-2020 at 10:38 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gainestr View Post
    I had the exact same issue. Tried everything I could find on the internet. The only solution was to drain the hot water tank(turn off electric and gas switches and run your hot water until it comes out cold). If your tank is already cold then this won’t be an issue. Also, make sure you open the relief valve to release any pressure and to help speed up the draining process.
    Next, spray out the hot water tank with a tank/water wand. I then filled the Hot water tank tank with at least a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Turn on your hot water tank and let it sit for a minimum of 12 hours, 24 if you can. Then drain the tank and wash it out again. This didn’t work 100% for me my first attempt so then I did it again. The second time, I also followed up with a mixture of bleach and water and ran it thru all my lines and holding tank and let it sit for about 6 hours. I did not put the bleach and water mixture in my holding tank. I then flushed my tank and lines. I also probably used too much bleach but I really flushed everything out thoroughly.
    This procedure completely killed the bacteria and odor. It’s been a couple of months now and the issue has not come back.

The reason you are probably getting this is a high iron content in your water supply. Your probably using well water. It’s just something you are going to have to get used to and you will probably have to repeat this process once or twice a year. Once you do it a couple of times it will become a habit and not a big deal any longer so all I can say is welcome to the joys of owning a RV.

I wish you success, happiness and a clean smelling kitchen faucet.
    How would cleaning the water heater help with a smell that occurs only when running cold water?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast