User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip report and a lesson learned

Came up to north GA yesterday towing the trailer, about a four hour drive. Your opinion on towing with the refrigerator on may vary, but I do. Anyway, when I unplugged from the house I assumed that the refrigerator had switched over to gas. When I arrived I hung out with my buddy for a couple of hours before checking the fridge. Apparently it had faulted out at some point and was almost 60 degrees inside. The food inside still seemed cold but it’s a bit scary.

Lessons learned: check to ensure the fridge successfully switches over to gas before departing. Check fridge is working immediately upon arrival.

This is my first trip “boondocking”. I’m using a generator to top off the battery and run the coffee maker. So far so good.

We had some serious rain last night as the leading edge of Delta hit us. It’s actually pretty peaceful up here. It’s a great location. Picture from my buddy’s back yard. Two more nights and head home Monday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9994F038-E147-4CF9-981F-A898C774AB0A.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	30066
    Eric & Sandra
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice place. Glad I'm not cutting the grass though....
    I too travel with the fridge on and I check it before I leave, at every fuel stop, and when I'm setting up. Not a fan of warm beer.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don’t keep it on when on the road, but I use a remote display with sensors in both the fridge and freezer. I keep the remote in the console, so my wife checks it every once in a while just to see that it’s okay. When we are on-site, it goes on the front counter, visible when we come in the door.

We keep large containers of ice in the freezer while plugged in, so that they are frozen solid. Just before departure, we move them down to the fridge and shut it down. These keep the fridge about 3-5 degrees colder than it usually runs. Once we arrive, the ice blocks go back into the freezer and when we leave a few days later, they are frozen solid once again.

We never have to open the fridge or freezer to check the temp, so no cold “gets away”. We have found that the digital readout on the outside of the fridge is close to worthless. It will tell me that the fridge is 32-33 most of the time, unless it is above about 40-45 or higher.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    We don’t keep it on when on the road, but I use a remote display with sensors in both the fridge and freezer. I keep the remote in the console, so my wife checks it every once in a while just to see that it’s okay. When we are on-site, it goes on the front counter, visible when we come in the door.
    Tell us more about the above. Brand/Model maybe pictures. Asking a lot, it seems you have a very nice monitor.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run with the fridge on, it just stays on Auto. I used to not worry about it but last year we ran the Natchez Trace and our fridge faulted out. Of course it was at the beginning of the trip where the fridge was full of the food my wife had prepared for the trip. Ended up buying coolers and ice in a hurry to save the food. Now when I stop I go listen by the fridge vent on the outside, I can usually hear the gas burner running. If I can't hear that then I go in and check it.

On the earlier trip we were able to get the fridge running but had to reset the over temp board with a magnet every time we stopped. Turns out the manufacturer had a recall and our local repair facility fixed it for free.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the fridge running on propane while on the road camp. When I told my DW that I was intending on running the fridge she was not in favor. Actually totally against. On our first trip we pre-cooled fridge for three days on 110v. Day before departure she put the groceries in the fridge.

Trip day was about 4-1/2 hr drive no cooling on the fridge. Got to campsite and fridge inside was about 60 deg. It then took about 3 hours to get it back below 40 deg.

That is when I explained they the fridge is not a Yeti cooler. She also thought the flame was a big burner like in the water heater. I explained it was more like a pilot light. We now travel with the fridge running on propane. And yes I am aware of all the potential risks involved.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    I am in the fridge running on propane while on the road camp. When I told my DW that I was intending on running the fridge she was not in favor. Actually totally against. On our first trip we pre-cooled fridge for three days on 110v. Day before departure she put the groceries in the fridge.

Trip day was about 4-1/2 hr drive no cooling on the fridge. Got to campsite and fridge inside was about 60 deg. It then took about 3 hours to get it back below 40 deg.

That is when I explained they the fridge is not a Yeti cooler. She also thought the flame was a big burner like in the water heater. I explained it was more like a pilot light. We now travel with the fridge running on propane. And yes I am aware of all the potential risks involved.
    We used to run the fridge (on propane) when we traveled. The I started reading about how it's a risk, including how we should be turning it off while fueling (which we never did), I started being worried all the time we'd do it. Yes, we continued to do it, as I would be worrying about the food in the fridge maintaining cold while traveling if we didn't.

We had a big trip planned for this past summer (which, of course, didn't happen, since it was to Canada), but part of the trip included 2 ferry rides (with the rig), one of which was overnight. We were fairly certain that we wouldn't be allowed to run the propane while the rig was down in storage for the trip, so my husband installed lithium batteries and an inverter. We now use the inverter while traveling.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithium and an inverter would be an option. That or put in a 3-way fridge and run it on 12 v. Benefits to both. 3-way fridges aren't cheap and neither are lithium. About $1,000 per battery if I'm correct.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the leave it on camp. I have noticed that on occasion it fails to switch to gas when we unplug shore power. In ALL cases this happens after our propane tanks have been turned off for a period of time and/or we have switched out our tanks. I now bleed my tanks through the stove and start the refrigerator on gas after turning on or changing tanks. After that we're good to go.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast