Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally get why you want a new route, looking at the same rd over and over gets old. Right now traffic is lighter than what we are used to almost everywhere . I have no route to add but have a safe trip and enjoy !
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

We are going to St. Pete, FL in a month and wanted to ask the community what's the best route to travel?

Thanks!
    Hello and good day Eddie .
    You say you are coming out of Philly area, and want to stay east of 95. I don't know how much time you allowed your self or expense you budgeted, you could try 322 into jersey to Cape May -Lewis Ferry , rt 9 to 13 or even 113, use Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, 64 to 58 , 58 to 13 , back to 64 to 95. I did take the Solitude across on the Ferry, it was a great trip, even for the dog. I have not taken the camper across the Bay Bridge Tunnel, but did drive it . Some tricky areas may be around Virginia Beach /Norfolk area. Most of those roads we used going to the Outer Banks.
    Good luck on planning, and safe travels and good health.
    John 《 JJ 》 Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

We are going to St. Pete, FL in a month and wanted to ask the community what's the best route to travel?

Thanks!
    Doesn't really say if you are taking your rv or just driving by car. I'm a little confused by all of the suggestions to go down 95 if you're taking an Rv, because you can't go through the Fort McHenry tunnel or the 895 tunnel with propane. You would have to take the F. Scott Key bridge to go around Baltimore, and that's a looong drive. Least it was for me. If you head down 1 through Del., you can take 299 (I think, I'm not looking at a map and trying brain recall) over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. This is the bridge, not the bay bridge tunnel. Dumps you onto 301 south of DC and you can pick up 95 anywhere along there. The toll on the bridge is only 1 way, northbound, I think. Some people get a little nervous on that bridge because it's a bit tight, but doable. You could also take 1 down through Del. and go the Bay Bridge tunnel route. Some friends of mine from NJ use that, and in Va. they catch 17 and take that all the way to Myrtle Beach. They hate 95 and do this every year. Might be good for stopping points, but this definitely won't be the quickest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update this thread, we took 95 to 495 and then to route 13 all the way to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We then went directly through Norfolk, which was a little scary going through the Downtown Tunnel. After that we took 58 all the way to 95 which connects near Emporia, VA. Then we took 95 all the way to Florida where we caught 301 to St. Pete.

Wasn't bad at all and that was only the 10th or so time I have ever pulled ANYTHING, AT ALL.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update this thread, we took 95 to 495 and then to route 13 all the way to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We then went directly through Norfolk, which was a little scary going through the Downtown Tunnel. After that we took 58 all the way to 95 which connects near Emporia, VA. Then we took 95 all the way to Florida where we caught 301 to St. Pete.

Wasn't bad at all and that was only the 10th or so time I have ever pulled ANYTHING, AT ALL.
    We don't understand why the GPS wants to take you through the downtown tunnel. We tell ours that she is wrong every time we come home. 13 from the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel then goes onto I64 and if you just stay on that then us58 joins the interstate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay &amp; Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post
    We don't understand why the GPS wants to take you through the downtown tunnel. We tell ours that she is wrong every time we come home. 13 from the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel then goes onto I64 and if you just stay on that then us58 joins the interstate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    At least twice a year I'm going down or up the coast through Virginia Beach to the Bay / Bridge tunnel. If you don't know about it or your first time it's easy to just follow your GPS. It's a 50/50 shot Google maps will route me through the downtown tunnel and I have learned to be proactive. I agree that Rt64 is the much better way, although the section of Rt13 from the Bay/Bridge to Rt 64 can be harrowing.
    This time, three weeks ago on the way home I stayed at First Landing State Park. I did have 4 really nice days on the beach there. Interesting having Reveille played in the morning and Taps in the evening. Usually I'll go from Cedar Point in Carteret NC to Pocomoke State Park but thought I would try something different and break it up.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-01-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12