User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the setup that I'm thinking about. What else does your second alternator run? Is that why a DC-DC changer is necessary? If I put a second alternator in the truck, I was thinking I could connect it directly to the battery using heavy gauge wire without a DC-DC charger.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    You have the setup that I'm thinking about. What else does your second alternator run? Is that why a DC-DC changer is necessary? If I put a second alternator in the truck, I was thinking I could connect it directly to the battery using heavy gauge wire without a DC-DC charger.
    The dual alternators are paralleled with no specific function. The DC-DC charger is necessary to limit the current and to get the voltage correct for charging. I have 200 Amp/hrs of Lithium batteries which would happily draw more current than the wires I ran (4 awg) could handle. The run is 40+ feet so a circuit length of ~90 feet. Voltage drop is 10% across that distance. The DC-DC charger takes in 52 amps at 13 volts and outputs 40 amps at 14.4 volts or so to the batteries. It also has smart charging profiles specific to the battery type. The line has a circuit breaker at 60 amps to protect it and has a relay to allow it to be switched on and off. The DC-DC chargers are inexpensive and designed to do what you want to do I believe. I used the Renogy 40 amp one. I wouldn’t think you need a second alternator for charging that you can get across cables that are a reasonable size. 4 awg is already a pair 3/8” in diameter cables before they are covered. There is a long discussion that I modeled my installation on in the other forum fyi.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://caravan.hemax.com/Reviews/33...gers_explained

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea and information, guys, thanks. Now that I understand, I like the DC/DC charger. I've just ordered a meter with a current probe and a blue tooth link. I need to first dope out all of the wire connected to my battery/fuse bus, at least enough to draw a decent diagram. Then I really need to get a good understand of my power draw with various equipment and how we use things. I like taking baby steps and am working a 5 step plan. I'm now thinking DC/DC charger comes either before or after solar.
    1. Two 6V batteries
    2. Inverter
    3. Portable Solar
    4. More batteries
    5. Roof Solar

I see it as a big win if I only have to drag the generator with me when I know I'm going to need AC.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cable run in the Truck

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I ran a separate pair of 4 awg cables to a 40 amp DC to DC charger in the trailer to charge while underway as I have a DC compressor refrigerator. The trailer battery should be sized to handle your coffee, etc at rest stops.
    How much difficulty did you have running those cables and where did you terminate the connections. I'm not seeing anything on you tube to even give me a starting point.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much difficulty did you have running those cables and where did you terminate the connections. I'm not seeing anything on you tube to even give me a starting point.
    It does take some work but definitely doable. I haven’t written up how I did it yet as I haven’t used it on a trip. I believe you should be able to find lots of info on the subject if you search for the string: "Tapping 12V from the truck to charge Battle Borns" Include the quotes.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of doing this exact mod now. I will do a complete write up along with parts and pictures when I'm done. Right now life is getting in the way of me completing this task.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    I'm in the process of doing this exact mod now. I will do a complete write up along with parts and pictures when I'm done. Right now life is getting in the way of me completing this task.
    A few more months of lock down and I'll have everything done.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea and information, guys, thanks. Now that I understand, I like the DC/DC charger. I've just ordered a meter with a current probe and a blue tooth link. I need to first dope out all of the wire connected to my battery/fuse bus, at least enough to draw a decent diagram. Then I really need to get a good understand of my power draw with various equipment and how we use things. I like taking baby steps and am working a 5 step plan. I'm now thinking DC/DC charger comes either before or after solar.
    1. Two 6V batteries
    2. Inverter
    3. Portable Solar
    4. More batteries
    5. Roof Solar

I see it as a big win if I only have to drag the generator with me when I know I'm going to need AC.
    I installed the 40A DC-DC charge controller from Redarc. It has separate input for solar panels, which I use with 2 portable 160W Renogy panels. The cable run in the truck, and from kingpin to charge controller was the most difficult part of the project.

Use high quality connectors! If you go with an Anderson style connector, pay the small difference in price for Anderson brand!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverDon View Post
    I installed the 40A DC-DC charge controller from Redarc. It has separate input for solar panels, which I use with 2 portable 160W Renogy panels. The cable run in the truck, and from kingpin to charge controller was the most difficult part of the project.

Use high quality connectors! If you go with an Anderson style connector, pay the small difference in price for Anderson brand!
    The 5th wheel side looks doable. I wouldn't follow the existing OEM route. The Truck side scares me the most. I want a clean installation and the cable routing isn't jumping out at me. Haven't found any examples on u-tube and besides, some of those folks worry me. I was able to plug the inverter into the coach to get some benchmark measurements. I've got a ground fault in may Harbor Freight $2.00 tester that I need to chase down. Everything worked as expected but the Electric on the Refrigerator. It would not switch out of propane mode. Maybe I can post some consumption number tomorrow.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast