User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BIG $$ Difference: Equalizer 4 vs ProPride 3P - is the $3k worth it

I am about to take delivery of an Imagine XLS 23bhe - very excited to get started camping in this rig with my family.

My TV is an F150 3.5L Ecoboost with Max Tow Package and 1,618 payload (I have already done all the math and worksheets on this and I am comfortable with the TV choice, so please don't just say you need a 3/4 ton truck).

I am debating between getting an Equalizer 4 or a ProPride 3P hitch. These hitches are in two completely different camps in terms of sway elimination approach, build, features, and $$$. The idea of completely eliminating sway with the ProPride is very attractive, but it comes at a very high price (and I feel like I am getting sucked into fear marketing versus reality).

My question is, am I going to be happy with the performance and safety of the Equalizer (WD and Sway Control), or is the ProPride really worth the money? Is it going to be a night and day different experience, or only a marginal one that won't be noticeable 90% of the time? Bonus points for anyone towing XLS 23bhe with an F150 using either hitch that can share their experience.

Thank you, everyone!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Propride 3P hitch for 4 years when I had a travel trailer. I had problems with mine. The jacks wouldn't stay secured to the RV frame and I had to use a ratchet strap to hold them from bending outward. Then the underside of the hitch bent over time. Propride customer service was good at first but when I started to report problems, they became less cooperative. It was in such bad shape when I upgraded to a 5th Wheel that I didn't dare sell it and took it to a scrap yard. So in my instance, the Propride was not worth the 3 grand.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I had a Propride 3P hitch for 4 years when I had a travel trailer. I had problems with mine. The jacks wouldn't stay secured to the RV frame and I had to use a ratchet strap to hold them from bending outward. Then the underside of the hitch bent over time. Propride customer service was good at first but when I started to report problems, they became less cooperative. It was in such bad shape when I upgraded to a 5th Wheel that I didn't dare sell it and took it to a scrap yard. So in my instance, the Propride was not worth the 3 grand.
    I have heard that in other areas that the jacks can be challenging. I am also running into an issue with where I want to store my trailer. They move it to a staging area when you come to pick up, and they won't let me store it there unless I use a ball setup versus the square stinger. If push comes to shove, I was thinking I could provide them with something to move my trailer, but again that adds to the cost and overhead of owning the ProPride 3P. So the difference has to be significant to go through all this.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Michark0906

You will get good feedback here but since you seem to be struggling with your decision (too much money, fear of marketing pressure, is it worth it) my suggestion is to widen your research by looking at other RV forums, e.g. forestriverforums.com, or jaycoowners.com, etc.

Use the same search criteria: Equalizer vs ProPride or Equalizer vs Hensley. Having a larger pool of input will help you make your decision.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michark0906 View Post
    I have heard that in other areas that the jacks can be challenging. I am also running into an issue with where I want to store my trailer. They move it to a staging area when you come to pick up, and they won't let me store it there unless I use a ball setup versus the square stinger. If push comes to shove, I was thinking I could provide them with something to move my trailer, but again that adds to the cost and overhead of owning the ProPride 3P. So the difference has to be significant to go through all this.
    We have used a Propride for 2 years and love it.
    It is an individual thing and your trailer might be ok with another WDH.
    If you go Propride they have a device which converts your connection to a
    ball and freezes the Propride movement. I would try the other WDH to see
    if it works for YOU. Again, there are as many opinions as there are hitches.

Best of Luck, stay safe and have fun:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with Propride or know the price. I do however tow with the equalizer 4 a 34' TT with a tongue weight of approximately 900+ lbs and rarely experience sway. I drive 60 mph max and tow with a 2010 Tundra. Have many thousand interstate and highway miles.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    I have no experience with Propride or know the price. I do however tow with the equalizer 4 a 34' TT with a tongue weight of approximately 900+ lbs and rarely experience sway. I drive 60 mph max and tow with a 2010 Tundra. Have many thousand interstate and highway miles.

Oldcow
    Thanks Oldcow! I have heard similar experiences where people are very happy with the equalizer 4 and rarely experience sway. When they do, easy corrected and doesn’t get out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used an equalizer hitch on my 24 ft enclosed race car trailer weighing about 9,500 pounds towed by my 2002 F350 for 13 years. It's a great hitch, and I never had any sway problems. With my 2021 38 foot Reflection Travel Travel Trailer that comes in at around 11,000 pounds, I'm using a Blue Ox weight distributing hitch with the same F350. I'm really shocked to say that after about 1800 miles of towing the Reflection with the Blue Ox, I can't tell the difference between the Equalizer and the Blue Ox. Both are great, and both keep the sway in control.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJimmer View Post
    I have used an equalizer hitch on my 24 ft enclosed race car trailer weighing about 9,500 pounds towed by my 2002 F350 for 13 years. It's a great hitch, and I never had any sway problems. With my 2021 38 foot Reflection Travel Travel Trailer that comes in at around 11,000 pounds, I'm using a Blue Ox weight distributing hitch with the same F350. I'm really shocked to say that after about 1800 miles of towing the Reflection with the Blue Ox, I can't tell the difference between the Equalizer and the Blue Ox. Both are great, and both keep the sway in control.
    You can’t compare towing a TT with a F150 to rowing it with a F350.

Towing an enclosed trailer and a 11,000 lb TT with a F150 is a BIG difference than towing with a heavy F350.

I was towing a 2800BH with my 2016 F150 that had a payload rating of 1963 lbs using a Blue Ox. It scarred the poop out if my wife several times being blown around when being passed by big trucks. I purchased a ProPride and it eliminated 95% of the scary sway.

I then returned the PP, bought a F350:and towed the 2800BH TT to the dealer to trade it in on a 5th wheel. That trip I used a BlueOx. The difference was amazing. The heavy truck was the solution to tow a TT with or without a ProPride. By then we were already bought the F350 and we were committed to buying the Reflection 5th wheel. It tows perfectly, steering with 2 fingers, no more white knuckles. I no longer constantly look in the rear mirror to get ready for trucks that are about to pass us.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    You can’t compare towing a TT with a F150 to rowing it with a F350.

Towing an enclosed trailer and a 11,000 lb TT with a F150 is a BIG difference than towing with a heavy F350.

I was towing a 2800BH with my 2016 F150 that had a payload rating of 1963 lbs using a Blue Ox. It scarred the poop out if my wife several times being blown around when being passed by big trucks. I purchased a ProPride and it eliminated 95% of the scary sway.

I then returned the PP, bought a F350:and towed the 2800BH TT to the dealer to trade it in on a 5th wheel. That trip I used a BlueOx. The difference was amazing. The heavy truck was the solution to tow a TT with or without a ProPride. By then we were already bought the F350 and we were committed to buying the Reflection 5th wheel. It tows perfectly, steering with 2 fingers, no more white knuckles. I no longer constantly look in the rear mirror to get ready for trucks that are about to pass us.
    Exactly why I upgraded to a 5th Wheel. I hated having the worry of sway and the white knuckle experience when Semi's went by before having a Propride and even after getting the Propride, the trailer would get pushed away when a semi went by. It didn't sway but the whole trailer would push away from the traffic lane. I didn't like having my truck still in the driving lane and the trailer not in line and near the fog line until that pressure equalized again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast