User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently did a spread sheet on NHTSA recalls on all RV manufacturers, and posted it here. I know that we are not talking recalls, per se, but It does tend to show if a particular brand may be susceptible to issues that are not recall worthy. Grand Design has by far the fewest recalls of any brand. Actually only 3 in the year and a half covered in the spread sheet. Now, with that said, there are going to be issues not recall worthy. Things that are not safety related, but break, or were poorly implemented\installed\designed. As has been stated in this thread many times, you need to be ready to fix some of those things yourself. I have been really happy with my 31MB. Have we had issues? Yep, not many but some. I have fixed all of them. I had to design a better door guide for the kitchen side Barn Door, as the original plastic one broke and in my opinion was a piece of crap any way. The AC had some issue with how the divider was installed - or not installed - between the air return and the ducting. Took about 1/2 hour and some foil tape. I had to replace the curb side cargo door. Took about an hour. Grand Design sent me the door after the rig was out of warranty. Actually Lippert sent it but Grand Design called them. I have called or emailed Grand design several times - and have always gotten a fast response. They have been prompt with sending me anything. I got enough screws and seals to do an entire slide, and only wanted to know how to repair a small tear in the wiper, and needed 4 screws to replace the 4 that were broken. If I buy another rig, it will be Grand Design. This was a lot longer than I intended.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I recently did a spread sheet on NHTSA recalls on all RV manufacturers, and posted it here. I know that we are not talking recalls, per se, but It does tend to show if a particular brand may be susceptible to issues that are not recall worthy. Grand Design has by far the fewest recalls of any brand. Actually only 3 in the year and a half covered in the spread sheet. Now, with that said, there are going to be issues not recall worthy. Things that are not safety related, but break, or were poorly implemented\installed\designed. As has been stated in this thread many times, you need to be ready to fix some of those things yourself. I have been really happy with my 31MB. Have we had issues? Yep, not many but some. I have fixed all of them. I had to design a better door guide for the kitchen side Barn Door, as the original plastic one broke and in my opinion was a piece of crap any way. The AC had some issue with how the divider was installed - or not installed - between the air return and the ducting. Took about 1/2 hour and some foil tape. I had to replace the curb side cargo door. Took about an hour. Grand Design sent me the door after the rig was out of warranty. Actually Lippert sent it but Grand Design called them. I have called or emailed Grand design several times - and have always gotten a fast response. They have been prompt with sending me anything. I got enough screws and seals to do an entire slide, and only wanted to know how to repair a small tear in the wiper, and needed 4 screws to replace the 4 that were broken. If I buy another rig, it will be Grand Design. This was a lot longer than I intended.
    This is really helpful information. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my few cents worth; we have had four travel trailers and on our third fifth wheel, I won't include the tents prior to the trailers. our first and second travel trailers, by thor were built good or we were lucky, had them for a combined 9ish years, used them on and off the highway and never had an issue with anything. our surveyor was great, almost five years with it and never had an issue it had a small slide, our keystone outback fifth wheel, first fifth wheel, didn't have it long enough to know, but i didn't like the cable system, it wasn't insulated etc. now on to GD. we are on our second one. the first, a 303rls, loved the trailer, had a few things, issues that were dealer caused and the factory took good enough care that we brought it to the factory and had it fixed, on their dime, lodging, fuel etc. we were happy campers, never had another issue with it, then traded up to the 337 sept of 19, love the trailer, but had a few additional issues, a piece of trim here and there, blind not working, fireplace quit working, step had a defect in the finish it was bubbled, needed some adjustments on skirting to make it lined up with the coach, but overall, not any major issues. I will add that even after warranty was done, GD still sent me hinges and latches that came apart, and took care of a propane bottle that had a bad valve. all in all, I would buy GD again. I read somewhere a few years back that even the best rv may be only completed at about 80 percent, it is up to the dealer and the new owner to finish them. but overall, i would buy GD again.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Grand Design quality declined?

We picked up our 31MB today. We’re pumped and looking forward to two weeks at Gulf State Park.

They drove it straight down from the factory, and we picked it up one week later. My initial impression of the quality is very high. Hopefully, our trip will go smoothly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2126-compressed.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	35342

Name:	IMG_2127-compressed.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	35343

Name:	IMG_2125-compressed.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	35344

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingRangeChamp View Post
    My wife and I are set to pick up our new 31MB on Friday. This will be our third RV, and we really wanted to get this purchase right. We’re hoping for a 10 year camper.

I had limited our selection to four brands and ranked GD as my top choice. It seemed to have the best reputation for the price range we were looking at.

Now, after reading since our purchase, I’ve seen comment after comment (mostly on other forums) about how GD’s quality has declined since Winnebago’s purchase. Is this true? Is this just a few haters or negative experiences? Has this ‘decline’ been exaggerated, or is this your experience?

"DrivingRangeChamp" I think there are those who love to complain about the littlest things and tend to blow them out of proportion. I believe one of the best things a purchaser can do is spend a boatload of time doing the Predelivery Inspection with the RV tech. Nothing worse is on your first trip to find things that don't work or falls apart which really sets up mindset that the unit may be poorly built. If the dealership is worth a damn they will have gone over every system testing it to make sure it functions as advertised and fixed anything that looks amiss including questionable looking trim. My wife and I purchased a 2020 Solitude 372WB last year. We have had zero problems traveling our first 5K miles with it. It there were any issues with the unit the dealer identified them and fixed before we even arrived for PDI and pickup. We did have a 2019 Heartland 5th wheel that did have real issues, so much so we traded it in after 11 months of ownership. It wasn't the trim falling off either rather failed hydraulic hoses, autoleveler touchscreen dies with rams down, onboard waterpump pumping fresh water into underbelly coroplast in Yellowstone, failed graphics that took 6 months to get, failed coax requiring pulling all new coax, failed black tank valve on second trip, failed gray tank valve on 4th trip, broken closet clothes hanger leaving hangups on floor, broken kitchen drawer latches, floor linoleum bubbles in the kitchen and bathroom and the list continues. So... for us the Grand Design purchase has been a great decision. Safe Travels!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up our 31MB today. We’re pumped and looking forward to two weeks at Gulf State Park.

They drove it straight down from the factory, and we picked it up one week later. My initial impression of the quality is very high. Hopefully, our trip will go smoothly.

Name:	IMG_2126-compressed.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	35342

Name:	IMG_2127-compressed.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	35343

Name:	IMG_2125-compressed.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	35344

When you get back, please post an update. I am curious as to how the trip went, as I'm many others are. I hope you had a great time.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just put our Grand Design to the acid test on I-10W from Mobile, AL. to San Antonio, TX.. We where in constant road construction across 3 states and 150 miles into Texas before getting back on some decent Interstate.
    Only one issue with a grease cap coming off inside the wheel center cap and I’ll take the hit on that one.
    After a beating like that, at least this poster will not question Grand Designs quality.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Imagine 2670MK, 2019 model which I took delivery on almost 3 years ago, August 2018.

I have owned a number of Forrest River TT's before this one.

The overall fit and finish and interior construction is sub-par however so was Forrest River trailers. Just had the bottom wood trim one slide fall off. It was nailed with the lightest duty brad I have ever seen, about the gauge of a paper staple plus no glue was used. Plus the length of the brad was way short, barely penetrated the framing member behind it. You will have interior trim issues, annoying but fixable.

My gosh how much extra to use instead of tiny brads, or at least decent nails / staples plus some glue??? Makes NO sense to me, none.

I had a major problem with the kitchen slide binding and was a significant issue / repair but GD had a local dealer fix.
    There is flex in the sidewalls that at times depending on leveling I cant close the bedroom door.

The new models have a pocket door so that tells me they had problems like mine.

Do not expect your faux bonded leather furniture to last as this material is prone to failure / peeling, lots of info on the web and I am in the furniture repair business so I know a a lot about this material. Other manufactures use this material routinely and it is a shame.

Unless you are buying an Airstream at BOOKOO bucks poor fit and finish is the norm in my opinion.

Now the good news, we paid about $32K for our trailer and absolutely love the floorplan and design.
    Grand Design customer service has been excellent when needed.

I think overall GD is a step above competitors and I would buy another one.

Also, given the state of the RV industry with booming sales and a shortage of trained technicians to fix them, it is very important to buy from a dealer with a solid service reputation. I drove out of state to buy mine which saved me some money however you may find like I did that of you need the local dealer to service it you will go to the back of the line. Find a good local certified mobile technician.

Better yet, be handy and learn how to do your own repairs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    When you get back, please post an update. I am curious as to how the trip went, as I'm many others are. I hope you had a great time.
    We just got back from our trip yesterday, and thought I would do a quick follow up. It went great! We didn’t have a single major issue. There were a few minor things I’ll fix or get fixed. These include a warped cabinet door, tacks sticking through the carpet in the bedroom, and the fantastic fan’s rain feature not working. But, I must say that I was very impressed with the workmanship I saw, especially when I compare it to the coachmen Apex I had previously.

Also, we loved the tankless water heater, which we didn’t even know it had when we purchased it. There were so many little things that we came to appreciate over the last two weeks that we didn’t even think about during purchase, but GDRV just got them right. With this being our third RV, we’re extremely impressed so far with Grand Design.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back from our trip yesterday, and thought I would do a quick follow up. It went great! We didn’t have a single major issue. There were a few minor things I’ll fix or get fixed. These include a warped cabinet door, tacks sticking through the carpet in the bedroom, and the fantastic fan’s rain feature not working. But, I must say that I was very impressed with the workmanship I saw, especially when I compare it to the coachmen Apex I had previously.

Also, we loved the tankless water heater, which we didn’t even know it had when we purchased it. There were so many little things that we came to appreciate over the last two weeks that we didn’t even think about during purchase, but GDRV just got them right. With this being our third RV, we’re extremely impressed so far with Grand Design.

Great to hear everything went well on the trip. I have wondered about those tankless water heaters. Glad you like it.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345