User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you again for all the helpful insight.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides all the great advice given, if you find yourself dry camping a lot, no matter what type of battery you end up with, get a good quality battery monitor. I'm a big fan of the Victron BMV-712, but there are other options if you want something less costly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PappaJohn View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I measured the current draw from the battery with shore power disconnected and only the 18cu frig turned on and it was 3.5A. Turned a bunch of light on and it was 12.5A.
    Was the fridge on elec. or propane?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tip.
    Thank you.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tip.
    Thank you

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have one of those 12V 120V Refrigerators that don't use propane? If so you need a lot more battery capacity.
    Tim 19 2670MKII

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be something wrong, but I think you already know that. We bought our "new to us" 2016 Solitude in early 2017. That summer we went to our favorite Michigan State Park for vacation. We had the original single battery. Two days before we were supposed to leave there was a horrendous thunderstorm that knocked the power out. We immediately switched both the fridge and the hot water to propane. We ran only enough 12 volt lights to play cards or read. The roof vents were open but off. Here's the strange part. Our refrigerator didn't start beeping for 36 hours, at which time I connected to the vehicle to charge somewhat. 12 hours after that I had to connect to the truck to be able to run the hydraulics to hook up and close the main slides.

There must be additional loads on your battery, or a problem with you inverter not charging to full capacity. Just remember that the battery kill switch does not kill everything!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    That battery is maybe 80 amp hours which means you have like 40 amp hours usable totally makes sense how quickly it dies.

I suggest at least 2 gc2 batteries for low cost entry to get you through the season. I would look into agm or Lifepo4 for long term.

Also double check the converter or generator is actually charging your battery. 12.3 represents about a 62% state of charge.
    Agree @Redapple63 --- My finding is that this battery is a 90amp hr batt. If say the refer is rated at 500watts running on 12v that alone is 41.7amp hours a day so there inlays an issue. We have 2 golf cart batts (6v ea.) and rated 225amp hours per battery. We either fire up the generator as needed or let the solar with inverter take care of our needs.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M&Lcamping View Post
    Agree @Redapple63 --- My finding is that this battery is a 90amp hr batt. If say the refer is rated at 500watts running on 12v that alone is 41.7amp hours a day so there inlays an issue. We have 2 golf cart batts (6v ea.) and rated 225amp hours per battery. We either fire up the generator as needed or let the solar with inverter take care of our needs.
    Your math is wrong, but you stumbled into being close to a reasonable answer. Your refrigerator probably draws about 2A when running on propane, which is a little less than 30W. That translates to 48AH daily.

You also want to be aware that with batteries in series, the AH available from the pair is the rating of an individual battery, so you have 225AH total.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123