User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning to tow Travel Trailer

I will be picking up my 2019 2670mk next week. I have towed trailers before but nothing with the sail area if a TT. Getting home shouldn’t be a problem. It’s a 350 mile trip but almost a straight shot on interstates and rural roads. With a full 36 gallon tank I shouldn’t have to maneuver it into a station. I don’t want to think about having to back it at this point. Once I get it home I will need to practice before our 1st camping trip. Just curious how some of you got used to towing such a beast? Thanks.
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride 3P #1400
    2024 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Shortbed, 4110 payload.
    6.7 Diesel, Ult Lariat, 5th wheel prep, Block heater, iconic Silver.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning to tow Travel Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Billn59 View Post
    I will be picking up my 2019 2670mk next week. I have towed trailers before but nothing with the sail area if a TT. Getting home shouldn’t be a problem. It’s a 350 mile trip but almost a straight shot on interstates and rural roads. With a full 36 gallon tank I shouldn’t have to maneuver it into a station. I don’t want to think about having to back it at this point. Once I get it home I will need to practice before our 1st camping trip. Just curious how some of you got used to towing such a beast? Thanks.
    Doubtful you will make it on one tank. You will have to get fuel
    That is a big trailer and I hope you have a big truck and a good hitch
    With it so rear heavy and without anything loaded in it it will be light on the tongue which isn’t good
    Stay slow and be ready for the suck/push of faster vehicles passing you
    It is a natural thing and you don’t want to over react to it

Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 08-09-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have towed trailers previously, the same concepts will apply here. You can practice a bit in a parking lot, but nothing compares to getting it out on the road. I used to tow a similar size trailer with a 2016 3.5 EB and power is not a problem. That is a great engine. The relatively short wheelbase and light weight of the F150 means that the trailer will exert some force on your truck, there is simply no getting around it. As long as your hitch is set up properly, tires are properly inflated, and you take your time, you will be fine. Enjoy your new trailer!
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I tell my DW she could do it I just say, "Keep the trailer behind you and between the lines."

I have towed a 1962 Airstream for over 20 years across the county many times. It weighs about 2,100 pounds loaded for camping. So that was a pretty easy tow. Didn't even know it was back there. When we picked our trailer up from Lazy Days Tampa we thought piece of cake, straight shot home up I-75. Not to scare, but holly crap! The first 30 miles was total white knuckle. All we kept saying to each other was "what the h*&% did we do?! Why did we get such a big trailer?!!" Pulled over at the first rest area and moved gear and tools from the bed of the truck to the pass through storage. What a difference that made. My suggestion is bring some gear and stuff to put in the pass though so you have sufficient tongue weight otherwise you may have more sway than you want to deal with. If you don't have gear then you could add water to the freshwater tank. But don't add too much or you'll overload the truck and then the rear of your truck will get squirrelly.

As @NB Canada said, get ready for the push and the suck from semis on the freeway. You'll feel a little push as they come up on you and then as they go by you'll get sucked back into them. My approach is to ride out the push, it's usually not too bad unless they are WAY OVER the speed limit and then the suck will pull you back into the lane. You usually don't need to make much correction for this. My tip here is keep an eye on your mirror so you know when they are coming. It can be startling if you didn't see them coming and you are caught off guard by it. Not to encourage you to go too fast but the closer in speed you are to the trucks the less you'll notice the push and suck.

If you want to practice backing up I would suggest finding a large abandoned parking lot and set out some cones. This will give you all the room you need to become familiar with how the trailer and TV react when backing up.

In closing, getting used to such a beast comes with a properly setup weight distribution hitch and learning how to load the trailer and truck. When my setup is loaded properly it tows very well with no problems. One time I added about 20 gallons of water more than I usually carry because we were going to campground with no water at the site. It totally screwed up everything. The rear of our truck was very unstable. I pulled over at first opportunity and dropped the extra water. Then it towed like it normally does.

Before you go you should do some research for the trip back as to fuel stops. Better to be prepared and have some options than to have to 'wing it' with a new trailer and setup. I would also suggest avoiding 'truck stops'. The gasoline side of Loves, Pilots, and Flying J's are usually very busy and NOT trailer friendly. There goal is to get travelers inside the store to buy stuff and not to make an easy in and out for towables. I've run across two stops on our last trip where there was an in but NO WAY OUT for our rig. And you have to scout that out as you are coming up to the fuel site and not wait until you get into it and realize there is no way out.

Enjoy the new trailer!
    Last edited by OurNewEra; 08-09-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good advice on backing a TT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qNFOLhhQHs

If you do have to use a gas station, consider looking at an aerial view to see if you can maneuver in and out without much difficulty. Be mindful of tail swing on turns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1B5d_K2__4 Use a spotter. Get out and look, even at a gas station.

Just an FYI - friends of ours have a 2670MK - tongue weight when loaded for camping was right at 1225 lbs - he bought a scale.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking from experience you'll be lucky to be running on fumes by the time you get home. 350 miles is a long shot, I figure 300 miles is the limit when I pull my trailer. Sometimes it is better sometimes worse depending on how the MPG factors in.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quality WD hitch with anti-sway, properly set up(not by the dealer) will be your friend. Enlist the help of a knowledgeable friend if possible and get it dialed in right. By anti-sway I don'r mean the rubber friction anti-sway system. Those are useless on a large trailer.. The anti-sway should be comprised of chains, bars, and cams, and should be integrated into the hitch. Look at Reese, Pullrite to get an idea.
    I pulled a 8500" conventional tow for 10 years with that setup and never had a problem. I did get pushed a little when the big trucks passed me, but it is what it is.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Speaking from experience you'll be lucky to be running on fumes by the time you get home. 350 miles is a long shot, I figure 300 miles is the limit when I pull my trailer. Sometimes it is better sometimes worse depending on how the MPG factors in.
    I'm so used to getting close to 700 miles on a full tank without towing so I'll plan on a fuel stop. My biggest worry at this point is getting to a point where I'll have to back up. I need lots of practice.
    Pro Pride 3P #1400

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    A quality WD hitch with anti-sway, properly set up(not by the dealer) will be your friend. Enlist the help of a knowledgeable friend if possible and get it dialed in right. By anti-sway I don'r mean the rubber friction anti-sway system. Those are useless on a large trailer.. The anti-sway should be comprised of chains, bars, and cams, and should be integrated into the hitch. Look at Reese, Pullrite to get an idea.
    I pulled a 8500" conventional tow for 10 years with that setup and never had a problem. I did get pushed a little when the big trucks passed me, but it is what it is.
    I have the Reese Strait Line with the dual cam. I don't have much choice but to have the dealer install it for me. I would prefer to do it myself but I will be by myself and 350 miles away.
    Last edited by Billn59; 08-09-2021 at 09:50 PM.
    Pro Pride 3P #1400

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reese Dual Cam System will Work OK

I have the Reese Strait Line with the dual cam. I don't have much choice but to have the dealer install it for me. I would prefer to do it myself but I will be by myself ad 350 miles away.
    I used a Reese Dual Cam System on my two previous TT's. It will be OK but squealy and squeaky in the camp ground as you turn and the followers on the trunnion bar ride over the cam. I also had a friction sway control in addition to the Reese Dual Cam System, despite other derogatory comments, the brake pad friction system works as well. My last TT had a GVWR of 7700lbs and was at or near that most of the time. However my TV's were much heavier than yours, but I had no issues at all.
    I believe that you should be just fine and the dealer is not interested in screwing up the Reese Dual Cam System install, as you will be using it immediately leaving their lot. The dealer does not want your problems on their mind from the gitgo.
    Congratulations, welcome to the RV lifestyle, the adventure is in both the journey and the destination, take it easy and enjoy both.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast