User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up our 2022 Solitude and pulled with 2021 F350 Godzilla V8

Just picked up our new 2022 Solitude in San Bernardino, CA and pulled a number of 6% grades (and some over) up US 395 with no problem. Very happy I chose the 7.3 Godzilla. Disk brakes on the Solitude made for solid/even braking.
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What RPMs does your engine run when pulling that grade? How is the engine noise?
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear from someone that is pulling heavier than us with a Godzilla. My rig weighs about 9500 and I have pulled it 15,000 miles. My only advice is buy a 14 gallon gas tank from Northern Tool for your generator and then it becomes peace of mind when you worry about running out of gas.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to shift down to fourth gear at times on grades steeper than 6%. As I recall RPM was 4000 max.Trans temp got to 235 very briefly. Engine and oil temps did not perceptively rise on the gauges Engine noise was not an issue for us. Ford did a great job on the 10 speed trans. Only issue in tow haul was trans downshifting to lower gears than I liked with repeated brake applications. I just shifted out of tow haul and ran the gears with the shift selector. 7.7 to 9 mpgs on the high altitude (over 8,000) climbs and running on US 395 from Lone Pine Ca. to Minden Nevada. This run probably represents the most climbing at altitude we will do.
    Again the Godzilla with 430 gears through a ten speed is a nice package for those that do not want to buy a diesel, which is why Ford developed this engine for their fleet buyers.
    Our Solitude with the factory Onan generator is probably the max I would want to tow. I of course will mange tank levels. The disk brakes set at 3.5 worked very well, and I think would be a must for folks pulling "heavy".
    Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 10-03-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
    Had to shift down to fourth gear at times on grades steeper than 6%. As I recall RPM was 4000 max.Trans temp got to 235 very briefly. Engine and oil temps did not perceptively rise on the gauges Engine noise was not an issue for us. Ford did a great job on the 10 speed trans. Only issue in tow haul was trans downshifting to lower gears than I liked with repeated brake applications. I just shifted out of tow haul and ran the gears with the shift selector. 7.7 to 9 mpgs on the high altitude (over 8,000) climbs and running on US 395 from Lone Pine Ca. to Minden Nevada. This run probably represents the most climbing at altitude we will do.
    Again the Godzilla with 430 gears through a ten speed is a nice package for those that do not want to buy a diesel, which is why Ford developed this engine for their fleet buyers.
    Our Solitude with the factory Onan generator is probably the max I would want to tow. I of course will mange tank levels. The disk brakes set at 3.5 worked very well, and I think would be a must for folks pulling "heavy".
    Thanks for the post Pacific Fisher. I just bought an f-350 with the same engine and gears as you. I'm also looking to buy a fifth wheel with a gvwr of 15,000 or less . Good to hear a real life experience.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that report, glad to hear that of the Godzilla. I am very familiar with that stretch of road, tough stretch for sure.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another note:
    As we were climbing out the very steep drive from the Topaz Lake Chevron station we had to wait for traffic. I could feel the weight of the fifth wheel pulling us back. With my left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas, I built a little rpms and when traffic cleared and I let off the brake, I really was thankful for the 430's which pulled us smoothly from the uphill stop just like folks here posted they would.
    So glad we waited to get gas in Nevada as it was 60 cents cheaper than California. I was surprised that none of the gas stations in Bridgeport CA had high enough clearances.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another note:
    As we were climbing out the very steep drive from the Topaz Lake Chevron station we had to wait for traffic. I could feel the weight of the fifth wheel pulling us back. With my left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas, I built a little rpms and when traffic cleared and I let off the brake, I really was thankful for the 430's which pulled us smoothly from the uphill stop just like folks here posted they would.
    So glad we waited to get gas in Nevada as it was 60 cents cheaper than California. I was surprised that none of the gas stations in Bridgeport CA had high enough clearances.
    I have spent a lot of time up there too. As i recall gas in bridgeport is frequently the most expensive in the already expensive state of ca. Might have been lucky you didnt fit!

I have the godzilla too but tow a much smaller trailer - never had any issues at all. We just drove over i70 east to Denver which is also quite a test. ( But thankfully gas is a lot cheaper! )
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we pulled from Lone Pine CA to Minden NV, then into the Sierras at Truckee for a couple of days and dinner at a favorite restaurant. Then down the Sierras, across the central valley and up the coast on Highway One from Bodega to Gualala. In that last reach the roads are pretty narrow with not much time to take eyes off road.
    Settled on trailer brake setting at 4 for best balance.
    All in all it was a pretty gutsy shakedown run for our F350 and the Solitude.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we pulled from Lone Pine CA to Minden NV, then into the Sierras at Truckee for a couple of days and dinner at a favorite restaurant. Then down the Sierras, across the central valley and up the coast on Highway One from Bodega to Gualala. In that last reach the roads are pretty narrow with not much time to take eyes off road.
    Settled on trailer brake setting at 4 for best balance.
    All in all it was a pretty gutsy shakedown run for our F350 and the Solitude.
    Thanks for the info Pacific Fisher !
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast